Jump to content

What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?


BFerguson

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm sure the prices are on average with other Manhattan shops-- but I'm not there to save ten bucks. I've walked 40 blocks from the hotel to hear "Hey Dave-- glad you're here, I've got something that's going to blow your mind!" At that point, I pull a bottle out of my backpack and say "Hang on, you've got to try this first."

 

Luckily, Louisiana has a long-standing cultural relationship with rum and cachaça-- there's always been a sugar cane connection with the Caribbean and a Catholicism tie with Brazil-- so it's not unheard of to find unusual bottles in the wild.

Any chance your willing to share this store?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • tanstaafl2

    171

  • Marekv8

    155

  • The Black Tot

    100

  • Kpiz

    90

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was reminded of why I do this whole "go to work" thing today...

Recently, I ordered three bottles of rum. When they showed up, only two had survived the journey.  Well, I reached out to the vendor and they assured me a replacement would be sent. As grateful as I w

Some new, some repeats… been in a rum mood for a while. Can't get over how opaque the Holmes Cay Belize 15yo is… have my sample poured for tonight.  

Posted Images

Tota Wine had a sale on the RL Seale 10 down to $20 from usual $24. Combined with a 10% coupon on their Spirits Direct bottles and I picked up 3 bottles for $18 each. One will go to a friend and the other 2 will join the 1/2 full bottle on my bar. 

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Tota Wine had a sale on the RL Seale 10 down to $20 from usual $24. Combined with a 10% coupon on their Spirits Direct bottles and I picked up 3 bottles for $18 each. One will go to a friend and the other 2 will join the 1/2 full bottle on my bar. 

Great purchase and a great price. I don't have a TW near me and it kills me when the 4S stuff is on sale because it'd be nice to stock up at those prices. In the past I've tried ordering when they have a sale and then picking it up a month or two later when I pass through the area with a TW, but the last time I did that they got annoyed with me for taking so long to pick it up and canceled my order.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Littlesmokinjoe, you got some splainin' to do!!

This was over 1/2 full last I pulled it out from deep in the cupboard last Fall to make my wife and her girlfriends a cocktail that they like with it.  They're heading out tonight, so tasked with whipping up a batch, only to find this empty.  Just got back with reload from monger...Gonna have to find better hiding place...  :unsure:

IMG_4213.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Littlesmokinjoe, you got some splainin' to do!!

This was over 1/2 full last I pulled it out from deep in the cupboard last Fall to make my wife and her girlfriends a cocktail that they like with it.  They're heading out tonight, so tasked with whipping up a batch, only to find this empty.  Just got back with reload from monger...Gonna have to find better hiding place...  :unsure:

 

It was probably the squirrels! Snickers is falling short of her guard dog duties...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It was probably the squirrels! Snickers is falling short of her guard dog duties...

Yeah Bruce, tell me about it.  Here's my great squirrel getter.,,  :unsure:

IMG_3942.JPG

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I grabbed another foursquare 2004 at $80. It was sitting on a shelf in the store where the owner pulls a limited for me in November. One last dose of goodwill before the releases in a couple weeks and an excellent rum to add to the bunker besides!

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

...and an excellent rum to add to the bunker besides!

I’m betting you have quite the bunker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Mrs. Vosgar and our daughter just got back from a cruise that stopped for a couple of days in Havana, Cuba. Being the wonderful wife that she is, besides bringing back some cigars, she picked up these bottles of rum. Sorry, for as many different rums as I've tried, still haven't found one I like

rum.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm out of town on a business trip south of Nashville in Franklin, TN, I'm checking out some of the local liquor stores. I didn't find any bourbon this evening, but I finally found some Foursquare Rum! It's non-existent in my home area, so this was a great find! I got so excited that I bought two of them. I think I might crack one open this evening, and decide if I want to go pick up some more before I head home. 

 

image.jpeg

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up an interesting Rum today. Don't even ask how much I paid...probably too much, but I got to sample it before buying the only bottle they had remaining. It's a very interesting Rum and I swear there's a slight hint of peat.

8a29ee65725467fa78931b45914c1d43.jpg

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice bottle! Loves me some Hampden!  My girlfriend, who has a better palate than me, keeps telling me she gets peat from it as well, so your not alone with that impression.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nice bottle! Loves me some Hampden!  My girlfriend, who has a better palate than me, keeps telling me she gets peat from it as well, so your not alone with that impression.

I wonder if the hint of peat comes from the barrel char bits that aren't filtered out and are at the bottom of the bottle or did they use a barrel from one of the Islay distilleries?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
Keep an eye out for the FS 2004 if you can find it. Plenty of proof on that one!

I finally found a shop that had FS 2004 on the shelf and brought 2 home. It's a shame the store is three hours from my house.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, lcpfratn said:


I finally found a shop that had FS 2004 on the shelf and brought 2 home. It's a shame the store is three hours from my house.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know what you think! I find it to be a very nice full bodied rum and of course at what I consider to be a very desirable cask strength. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Let us know what you think! I find it to be a very nice full bodied rum and of course at what I consider to be a very desirable cask strength. 

I will, but I've bought so much stuff recently, including other Rum, that it may take a bit before I get to it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I thought it'd be interesting to try the pot still component of Mount Gay in solo form…

 

 

Never had the Mount Gay "single still" products. Not sure I have even seen them before! Let us know what you think.

 

As big a fan as I am of Marie-Galante rhum and rhum agricole in general I found the Batiste (which comes from the Bellevue distillery in Marie-Galante) to be rather thin and uninspiring as a result I presume of being cut to 80 proof. I doubt you would find a blanc rhum agricole on the island at such a low proof in the bottle. Ce n'est pas acceptable!*

 

B)

 

 

 

*That is "Google" French as I do not know the language at all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Never had the Mount Gay "single still" products. Not sure I have even seen them before! Let us know what you think.

 

As big a fan as I am of Marie-Galante rhum and rhum agricole in general I found the Batiste (which comes from the Bellevue distillery in Marie-Galante) to be rather thin and uninspiring as a result I presume of being cut to 80 proof. I doubt you would find a blanc rhum agricole on the island at such a low proof in the bottle. Ce n'est pas acceptable!*

 

B)

 

 

 

*That is "Google" French as I do not know the language at all!

 

That's what I figured-- but I had to try it anyway. I've been enjoying the Neisson Agricole Blanc, so thought it might make for a viable comparison, albeit significantly lower in proof.

 

IMG_7908.thumb.jpg.e2185f1f5b327dec37614b2eab09964c.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I would be surprised if the Neisson doesn't blow it away!

 

Based on your earlier review, I'm sure it will. I'll reel in a Damoiseau 55˚ or 50˚ for a fairer fight.

 

Also-- thanks for your comments about the bar, it's the "on-premise research center" at the office.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 ...
 
Also-- thanks for your comments about the bar, it's the "on-premise research center" at the office.

I've admired that bar in many of your previous pics. Kudos to Bruce for pointing it out!



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.