Jump to content

What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?


BFerguson

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

 

Based on your earlier review, I'm sure it will. I'll reel in a Damoiseau 55˚ or 50˚ for a fairer fight.

 

Also-- thanks for your comments about the bar, it's the "on-premise research center" at the office.

I do rather love research! And any research bar with a bottle of Amer Picon  Black label on it would be my kind of bar!

 

And with plenty of rhum agricole and a bottle of Drambuie on the bar you need only rustle up a bottle of Green Chartreuse to do some "research" on one of my favorite Smugglers Cove cocktails!

 

Baie du Galion

0.5 oz Green Chartruese

0.25 oz Drambuie

2 oz rhum agricole blanc (I prefer something that is at least 100 proof!)

Lemon twist

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with twist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • tanstaafl2

    173

  • Marekv8

    170

  • The Black Tot

    100

  • Kpiz

    90

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was reminded of why I do this whole "go to work" thing today...

Recently, I ordered three bottles of rum. When they showed up, only two had survived the journey.  Well, I reached out to the vendor and they assured me a replacement would be sent. As grateful as I w

Some new, some repeats… been in a rum mood for a while. Can't get over how opaque the Holmes Cay Belize 15yo is… have my sample poured for tonight.  

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And with plenty of rhum agricole and a bottle of Drambuie on the bar you need only rustle up a bottle of Green Chartreuse to do some "research" on one of my favorite Smugglers Cove cocktails!

 

The Chartreuse is there, just hidden by the rhum in the earlier shots. I've got plenty of variations on that theme as well.

 

Thanks for the cocktail suggestion-- I needed a good Thanksgiving experiment.

 

chartreuse_2.thumb.jpg.f72a850b1d499fc3c18ed2d5bee3aef8.jpg

 

 

chartreuse_et_al.thumb.jpg.73fdb620b9745e6a23b53298d7c2f78e.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found a love for Rhum Agricole. Rhum JM was my siren's song. 

Other than Rhum JM and Clement, what other worthy Rhum Agricole should I keep an eye out for in the Northeastern US? 

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't speak to whats available at your local retail but if you search on line and order from overseas..... St James 15yr, Karakura cask strength, Three Rivers cask strength, Dillon XO, Bally 12yr and vintage releases come to mind.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Guss West said:

I have found a love for Rhum Agricole. Rhum JM was my siren's song. 

Other than Rhum JM and Clement, what other worthy Rhum Agricole should I keep an eye out for in the Northeastern US? 

 

Thank you!

In northern NJ I can get (apart from those you mentioned) La Favorite, Neisson and Damoiseau as well as some Berry's Selections of Agricole at TW. Expand that to NYC and just by shopping at Astor you could probably double that.

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Guss West said:

I have found a love for Rhum Agricole. Rhum JM was my siren's song. 

Other than Rhum JM and Clement, what other worthy Rhum Agricole should I keep an eye out for in the Northeastern US? 

 

Thank you!

 

As mentioned above-- Astor NYC carries a nice selection from Capovilla, Neisson and Barbancourt among others. I've stumbled across a few beauties in CT as well, like this early Clément teardrop lanquishing in dust in a tiny liquor store.

 

IMG_7039.thumb.jpg.f114913f009184bff6206f33fdd46aeb.jpg

 

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The Chartreuse is there, just hidden by the rhum in the earlier shots. I've got plenty of variations on that theme as well.
 
Thanks for the cocktail suggestion-- I needed a good Thanksgiving experiment.
 
chartreuse_2.thumb.jpg.f72a850b1d499fc3c18ed2d5bee3aef8.jpg
 
 
chartreuse_et_al.thumb.jpg.73fdb620b9745e6a23b53298d7c2f78e.jpg
 


How do you like the Paranubes? I’m very intrigued but haven’t been able to pull the trigger.
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kpiz said:

 


How do you like the Paranubes? I’m very intrigued but haven’t been able to pull the trigger.

 

The Paranubes is funky, fresh and cane-forward-- neat stuff. I was able to taste it in New Orleans and sought out a bottle immediately as I found it unusually complex.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Paranubes is funky, fresh and cane-forward-- neat stuff. I was able to taste it in New Orleans and sought out a bottle immediately as I found it unusually complex.


Thanks for the notes, I’ll have to pick up a bottle. I’ve had my eye on it for a while but haven’t been willing to pull the trigger because I know I’ll end up drinking it mostly neat and it’ll take me a while to finish the bottle.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2017 at 3:57 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I do rather love research! And any research bar with a bottle of Amer Picon  Black label on it would be my kind of bar!

 

And with plenty of rhum agricole and a bottle of Drambuie on the bar you need only rustle up a bottle of Green Chartreuse to do some "research" on one of my favorite Smugglers Cove cocktails!

 

Baie du Galion

0.5 oz Green Chartruese

0.25 oz Drambuie

2 oz rhum agricole blanc (I prefer something that is at least 100 proof!)

Lemon twist

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with twist.

 

Thanks again for the cocktail recipe Bruce, I brought the components down to a local bar and asked the bartender to whip up one for each of us. I'm typically not a cocktail guy, but this was almost a spirit in its own right-- a nice memory.

 

Regards, Dave

 

IMG_7934.thumb.JPG.ec5ca1cfd3f9efc5813ebcd380228c7e.JPG

 

IMG_7935.thumb.JPG.ff4818803dbf5f73ee4b25cbd2d1e4c4.JPG

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a few more Agricole Blancs in New Orleans-- the 140 proof Neisson Esprit should be fun to experiment with.

 

IMG_7939.thumb.jpg.fd2a546d74f1906ecd5d767170a1a8d9.jpg

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Marekv8 said:

 

Thanks again for the cocktail recipe Bruce, I brought the components down to a local bar and asked the bartender to whip up one for each of us. I'm typically not a cocktail guy, but this was almost a spirit in its own right-- a nice memory.

 

Regards, Dave

 

IMG_7934.thumb.JPG.ec5ca1cfd3f9efc5813ebcd380228c7e.JPG

 

IMG_7935.thumb.JPG.ff4818803dbf5f73ee4b25cbd2d1e4c4.JPG

Glad you liked it. I too originally passed on the Paranubes but if it is still around I may have to reconsider!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a few recently for my current blog posting (see new thread). Pusser's Navy Rum regular 42% abv, excellent with that genuine but matured pot still Guyana taste; Cockspur, the regular one, elegant and lighter; Captain Morgan, the Canadian one that has a bit of Canadian rum blended in - also very good, just a bit short on finish but good value; and Screech, probably Jamaican but origin not stated. All excellent, different. I have a vatting going too of other rums including Myers and Screech again, also Admiral Rodney and another older one, plus other things. Don't have the vatting quite right yet but will soon.

 

Gary

Edited by Gillman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Look forward to reading your rum series Gary! Took a bit of a self imposed blog holiday over Thanksgiving but will get back to my regular daily obsession now!

 

I too wo0uld be curious to try the Black Tot rum if the opportunity ever arises (and I am willing to pay the freight to do so!).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Glad you liked it. I too originally passed on the Paranubes but if it is still around I may have to reconsider!

 

I would recommend trying it first-- it's super funky. Growing up amidst the cane fields of South Louisiana-- the Paranubes smells like home to me (in the same manner that the Hamilton Pot Still Jamaica Gold tastes like home), so it's a personal thing for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

 

I would recommend trying it first-- it's super funky. Growing up amidst the cane fields of South Louisiana-- the Paranubes smells like home to me (in the same manner that the Hamilton Pot Still Jamaica Gold tastes like home), so it's a personal thing for me.

 

As an agricole fan and a fan of "funky" in general I think it will be no problem!

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Let us know what you think! I find it to be a very nice full bodied rum and of course at what I consider to be a very desirable cask strength. 

I posted my thoughts after opening one of my bottles of FS 2004 in one of the other threads. I concur with your opinion...it is a really nice rum. I'll be looking for the 2005 edition when it becomes available.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:


I posted my thoughts after opening one of my bottles of FS 2004 in one of the other threads. I concur with your opinion...it is a really nice rum. I'll be looking for the 2005 edition when it becomes available.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sure hope youre right as I bought this one untasted on recommendation and my thorough enjoyment of criterion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
That Barrel batch #1 is a sleeper - good snag.
 

Thanks! I'm looking forward to opening it at some point in the future. It was the last one on the shelf and the only place that I've ever seen it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.