Jump to content

What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?


BFerguson

Recommended Posts

The Black Tot

The 24yr Hampden sold out at 199, so I don't think the Enmore will have a problem.

 

I'm not comfortable with the $200 price point. Heaven knows I have been before, but my attitude is changing. I'm not sure - some days I think it's a good idea, others I think "it's just rum/bourbon/rye/scotch/tequila"

 

I agree that the California only thing will mean things linger a bit longer at $200.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • tanstaafl2

    171

  • Marekv8

    156

  • The Black Tot

    100

  • Kpiz

    90

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was reminded of why I do this whole "go to work" thing today...

Recently, I ordered three bottles of rum. When they showed up, only two had survived the journey.  Well, I reached out to the vendor and they assured me a replacement would be sent. As grateful as I w

Some new, some repeats… been in a rum mood for a while. Can't get over how opaque the Holmes Cay Belize 15yo is… have my sample poured for tonight.  

Posted Images

Bought a bottle of Appleton Joy today. I figured what that hell, I’m spending that kind of money on LE bourbon this time of the year, so I might as well go for broke!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

The 24yr Hampden sold out at 199, so I don't think the Enmore will have a problem.

 

I'm not comfortable with the $200 price point. Heaven knows I have been before, but my attitude is changing. I'm not sure - some days I think it's a good idea, others I think "it's just rum/bourbon/rye/scotch/tequila"

 

I agree that the California only thing will mean things linger a bit longer at $200.

 

Careful, it sounds like bourbon zen is closing in on you.

 

In all seriousness, I feel the same way. For some reason now I am more inclined to purchase a rum or brandy (Armagnac or Calvados) at that price point than I am a whiskey of any kind. There are a number of factors playing into this, but at the forefront is the idea that prices on these spirits are far more reasonable than they will be in the future, and if I ever want to own a bottle of _______, I need to buy it now. For whiskey, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

 

Careful, it sounds like bourbon zen is closing in on you.

 

In all seriousness, I feel the same way. For some reason now I am more inclined to purchase a rum or brandy (Armagnac or Calvados) at that price point than I am a whiskey of any kind. There are a number of factors playing into this, but at the forefront is the idea that prices on these spirits are far more reasonable than they will be in the future, and if I ever want to own a bottle of _______, I need to buy it now. For whiskey, that ship sailed a long time ago.

I think another facto here is there are plenty of really great whiskies at reasonable prices, the options for Rum are far less diverse.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

picked up my KL golden devil overproof dark, 19 year Bellevue and 9 year Monymusk from last year (which is such a good deal). Opening the bellevue will have to wait as the GF wants some cocktails so overproof dark  it will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
picked up my KL golden devil overproof dark, 19 year Bellevue and 9 year Monymusk from last year (which is such a good deal). Opening the bellevue will have to wait as the GF wants some cocktails so overproof dark  it will be.


I didn’t care for the Monymusk neat, but it makes a very solid mixer. Do you drink it straight?

Let us know how that overproof is!
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

 


I didn’t care for the Monymusk neat, but it makes a very solid mixer. Do you drink it straight?

Let us know how that overproof is!

The overproof is phenomenal for 19 dollars. I will absolutely be buying a few more. The monymusk is a strange beast. I have urges where it's all I want at that moment, but only a few sips then it's too much. Im drinking it in rum old fashioned right now and you're right, it adds so much complexity to a drink as a mixer. The GF is loving her 'cable car' using half spiced, half monymusk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 6:33 AM, The Black Tot said:

The 24yr Hampden sold out at 199, so I don't think the Enmore will have a problem.

 

I'm not comfortable with the $200 price point. Heaven knows I have been before, but my attitude is changing. I'm not sure - some days I think it's a good idea, others I think "it's just rum/bourbon/rye/scotch/tequila"

 

I agree that the California only thing will mean things linger a bit longer at $200.

I believe the Hampden was originally $99, with the $199 price only coming in with a small restock. And $99 was a no-brainer for that one…

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
13 hours ago, Lucid said:

I believe the Hampden was originally $99, with the $199 price only coming in with a small restock. And $99 was a no-brainer for that one…

Now that you say this you're absolutely right. And looking at the website today the Enmore is not moving well at 199.

 

If he has to discount it again the rum program is likely screwed. Not that it's a bad thing to send the market a message that we don't like paying 200 a bottle for things. I wish the bourbon and scotch markets would send retailers that message.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Now that you say this you're absolutely right. And looking at the website today the Enmore is not moving well at 199.

 

If he has to discount it again the rum program is likely screwed. Not that it's a bad thing to send the market a message that we don't like paying 200 a bottle for things. I wish the bourbon and scotch markets would send retailers that message.

Well, I drive by the redwood city store pretty regularly so I'll be supporting their rum program again shortly... But not with Enmore purchases. I've never spent 200 on a single bottle of any spirit and hope to keep it that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Now that you say this you're absolutely right. And looking at the website today the Enmore is not moving well at 199.

 

If he has to discount it again the rum program is likely screwed. Not that it's a bad thing to send the market a message that we don't like paying 200 a bottle for things. I wish the bourbon and scotch markets would send retailers that message.

Where's cravat boy when you need him?!?!  :lol:

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Where's cravat boy when you need him?!?!  :lol:


Yeah he may as well get it over with and declare Enmore the Stitzel-Weller of rum
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
19 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

 


Yeah he may as well get it over with and declare Enmore the Stitzel-Weller of rum

Dear god let's hope not

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
On 12/17/2017 at 12:28 AM, Kpiz said:

 


Yeah he may as well get it over with and declare Enmore the Stitzel-Weller of rum

 

 

Driscoll is actually already trying it on himself, calling Enmore the Port Ellen of rum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, speaking of Enmore, I saw this in the store today. Makes me wonder if t hey had a lot of these rums left over and decided to try mixing them all together to see if that worked better.

 

5a380c515be68_ElDoradoSinglestill.JPG.bfe02be29f9b92b4f9c1b83f0b22cbec.JPG

 

Even used the same bottle!

 

5a380bf0b0a3e_ElDoradoMastersBlendrum1.jpg.dfd3bb73d2e6785fc0bb4760122f3264.jpg5a380bf5060e1_ElDoradoMastersBlendrum2.jpg.3d5b34e918e14a38ee3bbc7cfa821b09.jpg5a380bf918ab0_ElDoradoMastersBlendrum3.jpg.7d4ca1178f92b1c9028bedce3289c925.jpg5a380bfd50070_ElDoradoMastersBlendrum4.jpg.3fec1120820f58f68628e6a4d4648eff.jpg 

 

I will try to work the whole "family" into a little tasting as soon as I can.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Interesting. What are they asking for this master's blend? The stills collection was overpriced in the 60s, which is part of why it flopped so hard.

 

Also interesting that they seem to be following 4S with the 43% alcohol. The single stills were 40 IIRC - but I may not RC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Interesting. What are they asking for this master's blend? The stills collection was overpriced in the 60s, which is part of why it flopped so hard.

 

Also interesting that they seem to be following 4S with the 43% alcohol. The single stills were 40 IIRC - but I may not RC.

My recollection is that this new 2017 blend was $50 or so. And a little (emphasis on little) more proof couldn't hurt. And while it doesn't say it is a 10yo it does say it was distilled in 2007 and has a big 2017 on the label. But it is rum so that could mean anything! Or nothing...

 

The "Single Barrel" trio (using the same three stills as this blend) were in fact 80 proof as you note although I was never quite convinced they were really from a single barrel. Single still maybe. I believe that they were also more expensive as you note but I can't recall the exact cost.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid $45 a pop for the ICBU and PM but have never seen the EM or whatever the "Enmore" was. If anyone had interest at that price the place still has them and I believe they ship so PM me.

Edited by kevinbrink
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I paid $45 a pop for the ICBU and PM but have never seen the EM or whatever the "Enmore" was. If anyone had interest at that price the place still has them and I believe they ship so PM me.

The wooden continuous coffey still (supposedly very similar to the still that Aeneas Coffey first built in the early 1800's) that originally came from the Enmore plantation used the letters "EHP" for Edward Henry Porter who founded the plantation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The wooden continuous coffey still (supposedly very similar to the still that Aeneas Coffey first built in the early 1800's) that originally came from the Enmore plantation used the letters "EHP" for Edward Henry Porter who founded the plantation.

Well there you go!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The shipment from last week's NYC haul just arrived. I think I've now got enough Agricole Blancs to host a holiday tasting party.

 

IMG_8002.thumb.jpg.1cee9133f6f16744f8aa774fb0bc52e8.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

The shipment from last week's NYC haul just arrived. I think I've now got enough Agricole Blancs to host a holiday tasting party.

 

IMG_8002.thumb.jpg.1cee9133f6f16744f8aa774fb0bc52e8.jpg

Depends on who shows up... :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Depends on who shows up... :D

 

True, but hopefully the 70%ABV Neisson Esprit will slow them down. Chances are it'll be just three to four of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Another gifted bottle freshly imported from Cuba

IMG_20171218_211107475.jpg

How does the Anejo Reserva compare to the 7yo?

 

Also, didn't it used to be Anejo Especial, or was that a completely different product?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.