BFerguson

What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

PaulO

Hey Joe, I have no problem with it.

Back in the day, I remember Mazola also had a commercial with Native Americans dancing.

One of the Native Americans in that commercial also did stand up comedy.

He said he called his mom on the phone, "Mom, I'm on tv.  I'm dancing with the two Italians".

smokinjoe
59 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Hey Joe, I have no problem with it.

Back in the day, I remember Mazola also had a commercial with Native Americans dancing.

One of the Native Americans in that commercial also did stand up comedy.

He said he called his mom on the phone, "Mom, I'm on tv.  I'm dancing with the two Italians".

I see Land o Lakes butter dropped the American Indian “Butter Maiden” from their packaging a couple months ago.  

tanstaafl2
On 6/23/2020 at 6:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Paul, your “what we’d call corn...” words reminded me of the old Mazola margarine commercial.  14 yr old Smokinjoe had one big time crush on the “maize” girl...😉. Which begs the question, here in 2020 was I “bad” or “good” for liking that commercial and presentation?   🤪

The obvious and only correct answer to your question is YES!

tanstaafl2

So some of you may have seen ads pop up in google recently for a new rum brand called Equiano. Interestingly if you buy a bottle for $60 (which I did) they will happily ship it to you and it doesn't seem to matter were you live. Maybe Florida (the distributor is based out of Miami) is like New York and just doesn't care about other states limitations on shipping liquor. Works for me!

It is a blend of 10 yo molasses based rum from Gray's Distillery in Mauritius (along standing but probably relatively unknown to the US distiller/producer there) with 8 yo molasses based rum from Foursquare in Barbados. How much from each isn't specified that I can find. It comes from a partnership between Richard Seale of Foursquare and Ian Burrell, both from Barbados, self proclaimed "Global Rum Ambassador" (Ian undoubtedly knows his rum but it seems noteworthy to point out the title is his creation!). 

At first appearance it is bottled at a rather low for my taste 86 proof and the bottle is also a rather snazzy one with a heavy clear base. Both of these are potential big red flags for me! But the Foursquare connection made me decide to take a chance and I look forward to trying it, perhaps next to some Foursquare rum and maybe Penny Blue, A rum I have from Mauritius (not sure if it s from the same distillery though). If it is successful I presume we will see more blends from this brand. Hopefully we will also see higher proof...

617353710_EquianoRum1.jpeg.07ca85ca05ca734044025075d1ab5ffc.jpeg1822845781_EquianoRum2.jpeg.71fe9fee067c73fd17a65e5e22bf1db5.jpeg

• I like it 1

PhantomLamb

Thanks for the intel, let us know your thoughts!

tanstaafl2

So, a little underwhelmed by the Equiano. A light burnt caramel character seems to dominate and I presume that to be the Mauritius component and presume it is the dominant part of the blend. The low proof doesn’t help much either. But I try to not make a final judgement without trying it several times and hopefully getting the opinion of a few others. Time will tell.

Marekv8
27 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So, a little underwhelmed by the Equiano. A light burnt caramel character seems to dominate and I presume that to be the Mauritius component and presume it is the dominant part of the blend. The low proof doesn’t help much either. But I try to not make a final judgement without trying it several times and hopefully getting the opinion of a few others. Time will tell.

Thanks to your tip, my bottle is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I’ll open it over the weekend and report back.