Jump to content

What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?


BFerguson

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Other than the “Colon“ name, this 111 proof rum from El Salvador is OK by me…

 

IMG_5355.thumb.jpg.c2915fe80ee4bbc7889c154c1c70451f.jpg

I got a bottle from the local promoter of the brand several weeks ago and then met the US brand rep a couple of weeks ago. In normal times I would push this to some of my favorite bars and encourage them to bring it in. But most bars are buying very limited stock and generally nothing new so it is a tough sell. I have shared it around though and it was generally well received. The 30% of Jamaican rum that provides most of the flavor to the 6yo Salvadorian column still rum it is blended with makes this reasonably interesting at its price point and higher 111 proof. The Colon name doesn't particularly bother me but I suppose it may not be adequately PC in the current environment that wants to rewrite history.

 

Keep the coin on the top of the bottle! It may or not be worth some SWAG down the road!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • tanstaafl2

    171

  • Marekv8

    161

  • The Black Tot

    100

  • Kpiz

    90

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was reminded of why I do this whole "go to work" thing today...

Recently, I ordered three bottles of rum. When they showed up, only two had survived the journey.  Well, I reached out to the vendor and they assured me a replacement would be sent. As grateful as I w

Some new, some repeats… been in a rum mood for a while. Can't get over how opaque the Holmes Cay Belize 15yo is… have my sample poured for tonight.  

Posted Images

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I got a bottle from the local promoter of the brand several weeks ago and then met the US brand rep a couple of weeks ago. In normal times I would push this to some of my favorite bars and encourage them to bring it in. But most bars are buying very limited stock and generally nothing new so it is a tough sell. I have shared it around though and it was generally well received. The 30% of Jamaican rum that provides most of the flavor to the 6yo Salvadorian column still rum it is blended with makes this reasonably interesting at its price point and higher 111 proof. The Colon name doesn't particularly bother me but I suppose it may not be adequately PC in the current environment that wants to rewrite history.

 

Keep the coin on the top of the bottle! It may or not be worth some SWAG down the road!

 

Thank for the details Bruce, and the tip on the coin. For $40.00 if was certainly worth a shot. Were you able to try the Coffee variant? The store had just gotten that version in as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 12:11 PM, Marekv8 said:

 

Thank for the details Bruce, and the tip on the coin. For $40.00 if was certainly worth a shot. Were you able to try the Coffee variant? The store had just gotten that version in as well.

Yes, I have had both. I am not a coffee drinker so not my thing but I thought it was pretty good as did several other rum drinking friends.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Took advantage of the rum sale at Astor. I always gave a nod to this bottle through the glass case when in the store-- but it's been since early March, so I had to bring it home.

 

IMG_5384.thumb.jpg.da5f1e3850386d1eb0595707bb448d0a.jpg

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Took advantage of the rum sale at Astor. I always gave a nod to this bottle through the glass case when in the store-- but it's been since early March, so I had to bring it home.

 

IMG_5384.thumb.jpg.da5f1e3850386d1eb0595707bb448d0a.jpg

Holy heck, if it's minimum 30 yrs. old, I wonder what other batches have got into this?

 

I'm looking at picking up the 21yr. in a few weeks potentially.

 

Thanks,

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Holy heck, if it's minimum 30 yrs. old, I wonder what other batches have got into this?

 

I'm looking at picking up the 21yr. in a few weeks potentially.

 

Thanks,

 

The carton claims that it's a blend of rums from 30 up to 50 years old. I would highly recommend the JOY 25 yo if you can still find a bottle out there.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

 

The carton claims that it's a blend of rums from 30 up to 50 years old. I would highly recommend the JOY 25 yo if you can still find a bottle out there.

Will keep an eye out for it, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 8:54 AM, Marekv8 said:

Took advantage of the rum sale at Astor. I always gave a nod to this bottle through the glass case when in the store-- but it's been since early March, so I had to bring it home.

 

IMG_5384.thumb.jpg.da5f1e3850386d1eb0595707bb448d0a.jpg

I have had a chance to try a small pour of the 30 (always good to be able to chat up a bartender and sound like you know what you are talking about. I have gotten more than a few nice pours on the house that way over the years!) and it was delightful. But never able to pull the trigger (even with the 15% discount).

 

But I certainly second the recommendation of Appleton Joy! 25 to 35 year old rum usually at about half the price.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, Marekv8 said:

 

The carton claims that it's a blend of rums from 30 up to 50 years old. I would highly recommend the JOY 25 yo if you can still find a bottle out there.

 

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have had a chance to try a small pour of the 30 (always good to be able to chat up a bartender and sound like you know what you are talking about. I have gotten more than a few nice pours on the house that way over the years!) and it was delightful. But never able to pull the trigger (even with the 15% discount).

 

But I certainly second the recommendation of Appleton Joy! 25 to 35 year old rum usually at about half the price.

I guess I’ll pile on with the Appleton Joy recommendations. I bought a bottle several years ago at the only store I’ve ever seen it at, and went back and bought another after I opened my first bottle. That store still had a few bottles about a year ago when I was last there...not sure if they still have any, but It wouldn’t surprise me if they still have a few. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Just in after banging around lost on a FedEx truck for two weeks. Hopefully it's in the ballpark of the NLA Teardrop bottle.

 

IMG_5440.thumb.jpg.828f5fe1ae6d9c6916a703714dc6c12f.jpg

 

 

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely buy duplicate bottles-- but regardless of the lackluster specs, I've quite enjoyed this rum.

Plus, having the Mailman sign it and knock 50 bucks off the cost didn't hurt either.

 

IMG_5448.thumb.jpg.2465b89c66ab2e95dee57cc6c7c1782d.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On a rum roll after recently opening up some shelf space. Expectations are down on the Papa Seal, but looking forward to the Dakabend Oaxacan-- given my past experience with Paranubes…

 

IMG_5465.thumb.jpg.f4ca51aa0183b6022946bf9597bf4c0d.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

On a rum roll after recently opening up some shelf space. Expectations are down on the Papa Seal, but looking forward to the Dakabend Oaxacan-- given my past experience with Paranubes…

 

IMG_5465.thumb.jpg.f4ca51aa0183b6022946bf9597bf4c0d.jpg

Yeah, I've passed on the Goslings Papa Seal myself.  Not sure exactly what the deal is with this brand, but I haven't heard anything earth-shattering.  Let me know your thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 1:12 PM, Marekv8 said:

I rarely buy duplicate bottles-- but regardless of the lackluster specs, I've quite enjoyed this rum.

Plus, having the Mailman sign it and knock 50 bucks off the cost didn't hurt either.

 

IMG_5448.thumb.jpg.2465b89c66ab2e95dee57cc6c7c1782d.jpg

It is a good and interesting Rum. I got him to sign a few bottles for me. Very cool to visit with him. 
F791D247-252A-47FB-93AC-987ADB368E60.thumb.jpeg.11e3b6f2cb7a342198b3d66dfcfe470c.jpeg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the Jung & Wulff series is only available at the Sazerac House gift shop--- but the 375mL bottles are cool.

 

 

IMG_5502.thumb.jpg.be16ef231f174587a5c8ed3a6b6b0069.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Ugh, rising prices, shrinking bottles. 

 

I just ordered some of the 375ml Hampden from K+L.  Fingers crossed that it's the monster that it should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Ugh, rising prices, shrinking bottles. 

 

I just ordered some of the 375ml Hampden from K+L.  Fingers crossed that it's the monster that it should be.

You were at least early to the rum game and have a bunker that reflects that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
26 minutes ago, flahute said:

You were at least early to the rum game and have a bunker that reflects that.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

 

Some squirrels know to buy a case of said nuts.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 12:15 PM, Marekv8 said:

Apparently the Jung & Wulff series is only available at the Sazerac House gift shop--- but the 375mL bottles are cool.

 

 

IMG_5502.thumb.jpg.be16ef231f174587a5c8ed3a6b6b0069.jpg

 

The Labat recently arrived in the Atlanta market but in limited quantities. I picked up a couple of the Labat 59 but thought the 8yo was way over priced at north of $100 and did not buy any. And they did not bring in any of the Eleve Sous Bois. Probably would have been too expensive as well. Disappointing to say the least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Labat recently arrived in the Atlanta market but in limited quantities. I picked up a couple of the Labat 59 but thought the 8yo was way over priced at north of $100 and did not buy any. And they did not bring in any of the Eleve Sous Bois. Probably would have been too expensive as well. Disappointing to say the least.

 

Lincoln Road has the Élevé Sous Bois for $85.99 if you're interested.

 

856497237_Rservefamilialesansverre.thumb.jpg.502f147d0b616043efd7e3ee47e90dfd.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

Lincoln Road has the Élevé Sous Bois for $85.99 if you're interested.

 

856497237_Rservefamilialesansverre.thumb.jpg.502f147d0b616043efd7e3ee47e90dfd.jpg

I love agricole as you know and particularly Marie Galante Rhum but that is just too much money for me!

 

Thanks anyway!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 3:35 PM, LCWoody said:

It is a good and interesting Rum. I got him to sign a few bottles for me. Very cool to visit with him. 
F791D247-252A-47FB-93AC-987ADB368E60.thumb.jpeg.11e3b6f2cb7a342198b3d66dfcfe470c.jpeg

Couple Louisiana boys.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.