EC18 prices

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We had recent post of fellow who picked up EC18 in Mississippi for $139. NC ABC listing it for $129.95. I was hoping it would be $60 and feared it might be $80-100. High price is gouging since HH production should be high? Or are they just not planning on aging that much (seems unlikely given their modus operandi)? Or price might drop as more barrels age into 18?

MSRP is either $119 or $129 (I forget) and I can't imagine HH dropping the price later unless demand goes away.

Keep in mind that these barrels are from a period of time when HH didn't have an operating distillery, so they were contract distilled, probably by Beam or B-F.

Since this was re-announced, I think the consensus was this would be $100+. That seems about right for an 18 year old product in this market place. Also hard to call anything "gouging" considering that demand for older "more limited" bourbons is out of control.

Yeah, really no question in my mind that this was going to be well over $100. While I missed out on the years where EC18 was readily available and cheap, I did come in at the end and picked up a bottle for like $65. I couldn't stomach that price at the time to pick up the other few bottles on the shelf though, which I now regret of course because I did really enjoy the bottle I did pick up.

Long gone are the days when I could walk into my fav Ls and see a whole row of those baby's sitting there for $60 and under sometimes, this is one of my favs out there and I'm going to be really hard pressed to shell out that $ for it now.I have half a bottle left and am drinking it sparingly. I suppose if I come across one I may be tempted though.

This was one of the first high end bottles I ever bought - back when $50 was considered high end (at least by me). Loved it, was sorry to see it go, still have one of the "old" bottles in reserve. I'm going to be very hard pressed to buy it again at the new price. Maybe if I drink down my bunker a bit and the price stays the same in a couple years or so it might seem like a good idea.

even when it was $35 to $45, other similar aged material was double that. HH's angle was willingness and ability to age a whole lot o' barrels and so could do it cheaper. They're still doing 12 year cheaper than other people doing 8 and 10 year. If they're doing high volume barrels for future like they did in past, I see no reason it couldn't come down, except no reason to lower price if the market bears the higher price. If production is like old days, the question for them: sell a few bottles at the higher price or a lot of bottles at a lower price.

I suspect what they plan is sell what sells and let unsold barrels age.

EC18 at $140 will fly off the shelves. It's just how the market it these days. There's nothing else at that age out there that I can think of and it already has a reputation. Old timers might pause at the new price but all of the new blood in the hobby will jump at the chance to purchase a former unicorn.

even when it was $35 to $45, other similar aged material was double that. HH's angle was willingness and ability to age a whole lot o' barrels and so could do it cheaper. They're still doing 12 year cheaper than other people doing 8 and 10 year. If they're doing high volume barrels for future like they did in past, I see no reason it couldn't come down, except no reason to lower price if the market bears the higher price. If production is like old days, the question for them: sell a few bottles at the higher price or a lot of bottles at a lower price.

If it doesn't sell here, it will have no problem moving in Asia.

and I will finally try it when/if it gets back to $50ish or less again.

Don't think that will ever happen again. Availability may be better in the future though.

I'm so glad that when it was first discontinued, NC dropped it from their list and put it on clearance. I picked up about a dozen bottles traveling through small towns for around $25 a bottle. Don't reckon I'll ever see that again.

Damn. I guess it's common for distillery gift shops to charge a higher price.

Heaven Hill has always had particularly high gift shop prices. The "madness" to me is that it sold out so quickly at that price.

the people buying do get bragging rights to be among the first to try the new EC18

Bragging rights to who? If their peer group is so easily impressed buy a new truck instead.

It's hard to believe that it was only 3 years ago I bought a couple of private selection EC18's for $52.99

I would be embarrassed to post what we were paying for EC18 years ago when it languished on the shelves.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.