Top Five over time

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That is interesting that you have for pretty sweet ones, but you like the 4rsmb better than the SB. I find the SmB dry as heck

1 minute ago, b1gcountry said:

That is interesting that you have for pretty sweet ones, but you like the 4rsmb better than the SB. I find the SmB dry as heck

I just tried the Small Batch and agree that it is very dry and spicy with very little sweetness.  It is not in my wheelhouse, but, I think it would be a good vatting bourbon.  I will experiment.

I want to mix a couple Oz 4R SmB and SB. Would that make it Four Roses Small Barrel? Or Single Batch? 

29 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I want to mix a couple Oz 4R SmB and SB. Would that make it Four Roses Small Barrel? Or Single Batch? 

I had a bottle of FR OESO earlier in the year that I found too sweet.  It was one of the few FR barrel selects that I really didn't like.  I ended up blending it with FR SmB.  It worked great since it proofed up the SmB and the SmB toned down the sweetness. 

15 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

My initial memory of 4RSmb  is that a sweetness was very evident and in balance with the other flavors. I also had an OBSO and OESO BS open at the same time and could pick out the signature of both in the Smb and loved it. The most recent bottle of Smb I had was completely different and if the label didn't list "O" recipes I would not have guessed they were in there. I didn't care for that bottle or pours from a couple other more recent vintages of Smb. I have several bunkered from various time periods so I hope the majority or all follow the profile I initially enjoyed vs. later samples. I am also starting to wonder if something changed in 4R Smb land and not for the better.

My top 5:

1) 4R SB PS

2) 4R SB

3) WT RRSmbSB

4) W12

5) WTRB

My top five at the moment:

Old Forester Signature

Old Grand Dad 114

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond

Weller 12 (hard to find)

Bookers

• 2 weeks later...

Four Roses Single Barrel

Elijah Craig 12 year

Blanton's

Evan Williams Single Barrel, any vintage is interesting to me.

6 hours ago, O'DubhGhaill said:

Four Roses Single Barrel

Elijah Craig 12 year

Blanton's

Evan Williams Single Barrel, any vintage is interesting to me.

You're missing one.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

You're missing one.

Thanks, yes, happy to add Weller 12 year to the list, the only wheater I really care for - it is available from time to time here.

OWA

Blanton's SFTB

4R selection of some sort*

RR Single Barrel

CEHT Rye

*I know you've said no store selects but this is a rotating seat. SOME recipe of 4R is always available!!!

Edited by The Black Tot

It's easy to say WLW 117.9, WLW 125.3, PHC 2010, any PWV, PHC 2007, any FRLE, WT12 however...

If you only consider those bourbons that are available:

FRSB

ETL

Blantons

WTKS

OWA

I could go a long time with only these five bourbons.

OWA

Eagle Rare 10

ECBP

CEHT Barrel Proof

SB Blend*

If the vatting is disqualified, then Blantons.

Edited by El Vino

I'll go with what's readily available here in Germany. Since I buy 90% of my Bourbons online these are:

Stagg Jr (Batch 3)

Blanton's Straight from the barrel 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 Proof 

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Eagle Rare 10

20 hours ago, OldDrinker1978 said:

I'll go with what's readily available here in Germany. Since I buy 90% of my Bourbons online these are:

Stagg Jr (Batch 3)

Blanton's Straight from the barrel 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108.2 Proof 

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Eagle Rare 10

Whoa!!  You want to adopt me?:P

• 1 month later...

There's a lot of repeats on this list, but I see a consistent selection of Four Roses SB.  I guess I need to try it again and see if I get a different (better) outcome....

For me, right now:

Elijah Craig 12

McKenna 10

Blantons

Rock Hill Farms

Weller (any) for my wheat fix. 

And my "6th Man Award" to the SA Old Scout - I can play any day as well.

Edited by Jacket

Wow, some solid lists here. My top 5 on what I've been able to get the last few months: Will change as March/April should fill the stores with more product down here.

Calumet

Wathens

Elijah 12

Blantons

John J Bowman SB ( not really a fan but finishing off the bottle)

OK, I'll play one round....

First Place goes to: Old Forester Signature and Evan Williams Single Barrel in a tie.

2nd Place: Elijah Craig 12-yr (as long it's still a 12, I guess) tied with Henry McKenna BIB 10.

3rd place is held all by itself: Old Weller Antique.

4th place: Booker's and Old Grand Dad 114 in yet another tie.

5th place: Four Roses SB, Buffalo Trace, and Knob Creek (both 100 and 120) in a three-way dead heat.

I tried to pare the list to just 5-brands that are all in my very regular rotation, and are all readily available in The Mitten State, and just couldn't bear to leave any of these off.    Sorry.    (No, I'm Not, so there.)

Edited by Richnimrod
Mis-spelled word...OOOOPS!

Booker's 

Baker's

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Henry McKenna BIB 

1792 Port Barrel Finish 

• 9 months later...

Elmer T Lee

Henry McKenna 10 Yr

Old Weller Antique (not exactly "readily" available, but findable)

Elijah Craig 12 (Now Small Batch)

OGD 114

My sixth man is regular Buffalo Trace, which tastes very well balanced to me and is very consistent on my palate.  To just pick one for comparison's sake, OWA sometimes starts a bit too spicy -- but then always seems to be the one I want MORE of after that second and third sip.  Whereas BT is just a total Steady-Eddie .  Doesn't bust into "my 5" though as these others all have something special for me.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.