The absolute WORST bourbon I ever tasted was......

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On January 26, 2016 at 2:40:01 PM, flahute said:

This topic comes up from time to time and currently my answer is still the same: Johnny Drum black label. Tastes like wet cardboard and it's very young. I tried very hard to get through the bottle and eventually dumped the last half of it.

My strong second place in the category goes to Michter's Toasted Barrel. I know some like it, but I get a strong flavor of fake cinnamon potpourri that reminds me of micro barrel aged bourbon.

I don't care for Johnny Drum nor Noah's Mill

Looking at some of these responses makes me jealous. If WT/BT/Booker's etc. is some of the worst bourbon you've ever had you have led a good life though, perhaps, not adventurous enough. Now, not liking, I can understand, to each their own, but saying it's the worst you've ever had? Yeesh. 

Hudson, Koval, FEW, Masterson's Rye, Yahara Bay V, are all awful, but the cake goes to Border out of Wisconsin. Being born in Madison I was obligated to buy a bottle but whatever is in that bottle is absolutely terrible. 

I read through the comments again, and star Hopper and I were the only two that mentioned wt. In defense of wt, sh said he didn't care for wt81, but wt101 was decent quality. I said bulleit was the funky part of wt101 turned up a few notches, with all the nice parts removed. I don't have any explanation for the bookers comments.

I definitely agree though, I've lived a good life in terms of bourbon tasting.

Edited by b1gcountry

I shared a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 with my brother-in-laws this past Christmas that had a soap finish that lingered something awful.  We should have finished that bottle easy but we quit it was so bad.

5 hours ago, DPPSmoker said:

I shared a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 with my brother-in-laws this past Christmas that had a soap finish that lingered something awful.  We should have finished that bottle easy but we quit it was so bad.

For me, I generally enjoy WT101 - but sometimes it simply doesn't do it for me.  I think it's a good value. I don't know if it's my tastebuds being finicky or what, but at times WT101 tatstes awful to me, and at other times it's just perfect (from same bottle!).  Just depends on my mood I guess.

If you count dusties, I can list a bunch (such as 6 half gallons of 1970s Kentucky Tavern I poured down the drain because they tasted like turpentine had been added) Not all dusties are great. Modern would have to be Zackariah Harris or Jessie James.

Edited by Enoch

15 hours ago, Enoch said:

If you count dusties, I can list a bunch (such as 6 half gallons of 1970s Kentucky Tavern I poured down the drain because they tasted like turpentine had been added) Not all dusties are great. Modern would have to be Zackariah Harris or Jessie James.

Kentucky Tavern (from maybe 10 years ago) is the one bourbon I can think of where the bonded tasted worse than the 80 proof version.  I got a big blast of alcohol, and the kind of bitter taste like you'd get from the inside of a pecan or walnut shell.  It was hard to believe this came from the same place as VOB.  At least I knew it was bottom shelf when I was buying it.

Also, I notice a lot of the small barrel "craft" items in this thread.  You would think by now anyone starting up could do just a little research.  Small barrels make terrible whiskey.    

But is it the small barrels that make the whiskey bad, is it that the Johnny come lately distillers who rush their whiskey to market just tend to use small barrels? Are there any experienced distillers that have experimented with smaller barrels? 

34 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

But is it the small barrels that make the whiskey bad, is it that the Johnny come lately distillers who rush their whiskey to market just tend to use small barrels? Are there any experienced distillers that have experimented with smaller barrels? 

There was this small craft distiller in Frankfort, KY who gave it a go and concluded they didn't lead to a quality product. Some odd name kinda like Bison Trail or something like that I think.

:D

I got a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon as a gift. I opened it and cannot get into it. Young, sawdust taste.

9 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

It is the small barrels. 

Garrison Brothers by far. I've had a lot of bad bourbon, but this one was the worst and it's not even close. The price didn't help, and I am so glad that I tried it in a bar before coughing up $90 for a bottle.

1 hour ago, silverc said:

Garrison Brothers by far. I've had a lot of bad bourbon, but this one was the worst and it's not even close. The price didn't help, and I am so glad that I tried it in a bar before coughing up $90 for a bottle.

Ouch - Just got one of these as a gift from TX inlaws - hope you're wrong :blink:  After reading the comments, in addition to Beer Barrel, I'll also hate on Koval and all things Hudson - pretty awful stuff as far as I'm concerned.

On February 6, 2016 at 9:14:01 PM, jvd99 said:

Ouch - Just got one of these as a gift from TX inlaws - hope you're wrong :blink:  After reading the comments, in addition to Beer Barrel, I'll also hate on Koval and all things Hudson - pretty awful stuff as far as I'm concerned.

There have been a few different iterations of Garrison Brothers. The one I tried was bad and my answer to this thread's question.  Maybe you'll get lucky and your bottle will be a better one. 

On 2/8/2016, 6:13:42, meadeweber said:

There have been a few different iterations of Garrison Brothers. The one I tried was bad and my answer to this thread's question.  Maybe you'll get lucky and your bottle will be a better one. 

As far as the givers of the gift are concerned, it will be wonderful and much appreciated.  Here, it will get appropriately bashed if need be.

I was having a hard time thinking of any truly bad bourbons I'd tasted until a saw a few people mention Hudson, and it all came rushing back. It was the Baby Bourbon. There was absolutely nothing I liked about it, and I remember thinking it must be the most insanely overpriced whiskey available. Charging that much for a 375ml bottle just seemed insulting to me.

The most recent bottle I opened and really did not much care for was...wait for it...High West Midwinter Night's Dram. Go ahead and crucify me, but there is just something about it that tastes off to me. It seems imbalanced—like a handful of flavors that don't belong together. I will say, it's better on the rocks, and even better as an old fashioned. But still...not understanding the hype on that one.

Good day, all!

HWMWND is the whiskey that started me on the american whiskey exploration that I am going through right now. It was the hands down favorite of mine while attending a bourbon and rye class at a local store. I had never tried rye before, and really didn't realize it could taste that refined. 

7 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

HWMWND is the whiskey that started me on the american whiskey exploration that I am going through right now. It was the hands down favorite of mine while attending a bourbon and rye class at a local store. I had never tried rye before, and really didn't realize it could taste that refined. 

...not sure what that has to do with the WORST bourbon you've ever tasted?!:huh:

Edited by starhopper

3 hours ago, starhopper said:

...not sure what that has to do with the WORST bourbon you've ever tasted?!:huh:

It was a response to the previous post saying HWMWND did not meet expectations. 

49 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

It was a response to the previous post saying HWMWND did not meet expectations. 

Oh! My bad! I apologize.:(

16 hours ago, babermac said:

The most recent bottle I opened and really did not much care for was...wait for it...High West Midwinter Night's Dram. Go ahead and crucify me, but there is just something about it that tastes off to me. It seems imbalanced—like a handful of flavors that don't belong together. I will say, it's better on the rocks, and even better as an old fashioned. But still...not understanding the hype on that one

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.