The absolute WORST bourbon I ever tasted was......

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/6/2017 at 10:08 PM, PaulO said:

Old Crow was a premium brand years ago.  Beam bought the label and turned it into their bottom shelf.  The Old Crow from pre-Beam era was: different recipe, distilled at a different location, aged longer, and everything else.

Must have been many many years ago.  I'll never for get, that first Jim Beam white - how was Hank Williams Jr swilling this rotgut in the 80's?  But then, a buddy shows up with Old Crow.  Gag bait.  Even mixed.  We gladly paid the premium for JD

3 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Must have been many many years ago.  I'll never for get, that first Jim Beam white - how was Hank Williams Jr swilling this rotgut in the 80's?  But then, a buddy shows up with Old Crow.  Gag bait.  Even mixed.  We gladly paid the premium for JD

Fred Minnick's book touches on how Old Crow was at one time the standard for high quality.

52 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Fred Minnick's book touches on how Old Crow was at one time the standard for high quality.

I hear the guys at Glenn's Creek are working on re-activating the original yeast strain left from residue, and might re-launch the bourbon that used to be Old Crow before the decline.  It will have a different name, since Jim Beam owns the Old Crow label (filled with reject white label runoff?). 

21 hours ago, flahute said:

You should check in with us Washingtonians before making such decisions. I could have save you from that purchase.

No sweat...It was an impulse buy. They had a plastic bucket full of "Batch 12" 50ml products (Vodka, Gin and Bourbon) sitting at the register for a $1 ea. Probably not the worst dollar I've thrown away, but close. The gin was actually decent in a G&T.

Edited by BDanner

• 2 weeks later...

Heritage Distilling dual aged Bourbon. Had an awful cereal aftertaste. I couldn't even use it in a manhattan it was so bad.

Winchester "Extra Smooth" Bourbon, undrinkable and at the time I didn't even know it was a Terrapure product.  It was at a tasting "class" at TW where we were fortunate enough to also taste Buckhorn and Black Ridge (sarcasm all are TW house brands).  The most annoying part was that they gave a presentation that showed the other bourbons that could have been tasted which included Hancocks, MM46, and a few others I don't recall but for $10 we tasted the 3 most bottom shelf bourbons on the list. On the plus side they asked us to review the class/tasting and after they read my response they refunded my money.

Edited by kevinbrink

• 3 months later...

Like getting you mouth washed out with soap. Couldn't enjoy anything for the rest of the night... Bleck

14977307431971006458898.jpg

TX Bourbon is by far the worst I have ever tasted and extremely overpriced in the $50 price range.

For me it was Larceny. I just did not like it, and gave my bottle away missing only the one drink I attempted. 

Out of the 60-ish or so different brands I've bought and tried, I can honestly say I've yet to find one so gawdawful that it's gone down the sink, or into a planter, or elsewhere.  That said, there are several that would involve a supreme act of desperation to ever buy again.  

Bourbon 30 and Stave & Barrel have me looking sideways at anything crafty  - both are supposed to be sourced from MGP but are young (@ 6 months if memory serves) and "double oaked" for some very short timeframe.   Mainstream ones now on the avoid list include EW black, EW 1783, and Old Heaven Hill BiB (this one's gone anyway AFAIK).  Bookers was a big disappointment as well.  I've pretty well become a proof snob now, really not interested in anything below 90 unless it's had strong reviews.

10 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Bookers was a big disappointment as well. 

I agree completely about Bookers. Read all about it and how it was on everyones "Top 20" bourbons list but it just didn't tickle my fancy. I had a few pours and ended up giving it to a coworker. 

Bookers showing up in this thread blows my mind, it's in my top 5 of regularly available pours (and maybe my favorite). Just goes to show everyone's pallet is different. 

On February 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM, musekatcher said:

Back here Old Crow was quite good. 1941

image.jpg

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Bookers showing up in this thread blows my mind, it's in my top 5 of regularly available pours (and maybe my favorite). Just goes to show everyone's pallet is different. 

I think it's a case of forgetting the thread title and intent. Booker's being a disappointment to someone or not tickling their fancy is not at all surprising. As you say, not all palates are created equal.

Equating it with the worst bourbon you ever tasted though seems like a big stretch. I have a hard time believing that.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

I think it's a case of forgetting the thread title and intent. Booker's being a disappointment to someone or not tickling their fancy is not at all surprising. As you say, not all palates are created equal.

Equating it with the worst bourbon you ever tasted though seems like a big stretch. I have a hard time believing that.

Not really forgetting the thread title, as comment was made as an aside, as in "oh yeah, and Bookers was a disappointment too" since it really sticks out in memory for failed expectations.  Not the worst, but (for me) so greatly failed to live up to the hype and cost that it's now on the "don't bother with" list with others, which should make the Bookers fans in N Central KY happy that there's a little less competition for it :)

Guess I need to find a sample of Hudson BB or Cleveland to REALLY experience what a gawdawful bourbon is...

2 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Not really forgetting the thread title, as comment was made as an aside, as in "oh yeah, and Bookers was a disappointment too" since it really sticks out in memory for failed expectations.  Not the worst, but (for me) so greatly failed to live up to the hype and cost that it's now on the "don't bother with" list with others, which should make the Bookers fans in N Central KY happy that there's a little less competition for it :)

Guess I need to find a sample of Hudson BB or Cleveland to REALLY experience what a gawdawful bourbon is...

Those would be good options or just buy anything at Total Wine from South Carolina...

On 3/6/2017 at 10:45 AM, kevinbrink said:

Winchester "Extra Smooth" Bourbon, undrinkable and at the time I didn't even know it was a Terrapure product.  It was at a tasting "class" at TW where we were fortunate enough to also taste Buckhorn and Black Ridge (sarcasm all are TW house brands).  The most annoying part was that they gave a presentation that showed the other bourbons that could have been tasted which included Hancocks, MM46, and a few others I don't recall but for $10 we tasted the 3 most bottom shelf bourbons on the list. On the plus side they asked us to review the class/tasting and after they read my response they refunded my money.

Ha ha - when I was teaching the TW bourbon class(es) last year at the (then) new Natick, MA store (we had to add an extra class because so many people were unhappy that the first one sold out so quickly), I always ended the session with a bottle of Blanton's and Hillrock Solera Bourbon (obtained by ME!).  We also had Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace in the mix as well as the SD plonk for the classes.  Oh yeah, we charged $20 for the class and invited people to try some of their favorites afterwards - guess which ones were emptied and which ones were saved for future tastings . . . . .   :ph34r:

Sandwiches, cheddar cheese plates, and brownies/chocolate chip cookies for snacking, too (couldn't have the students driving home slightly impaired now could we?).  Always got tons of "WOWs" in the feedback for the class/tasting and sold a lot of product afterwards.  Then the corporate folk wanted me to push TW stuff and "make some money."  Couldn't lie to the customers so I left the company right after the Christmas rush.  Much happier now . . . . .  :D

Edited by GeeTen
Usual spelling and grammar corrections

• 2 months later...

Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Positively awful! Even White label  Jim Beam is tolerable by comparison.

On 6/19/2017 at 3:52 PM, RWBadley said:

Back here Old Crow was quite good. 1941

image.jpg

Yep. Old Crotch I'd say qualifies. :-)

Garrison Bros. Texas bourbon. Perhaps not the worst I've had but at $80 a bottle insultingly over-priced for what it was.

Edited by BourbonDude

Some yellowstone 90 proof I got for $10. It was a 2012 bottle and was absolutely awful. I guess in this instance you get what you pay for.

Edited by Jfletchgu

14 hours ago, Eggman said:

Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Positively awful! Even White label  Jim Beam is tolerable by comparison.

Far from my favorite pour but at worst I find it inoffensive, and when I did a SBS I prefered it to JB Black (NAS)  and White. .

I really don't know if I can name one that qualified as the worst Bourbon but the only bottle I have ever given away was a bottle of Willet Pot Still. I probably had 4-5 small pours out of it but just couldn't enjoy it. It was hot and had this popcorn/butter flavors in a bad way to my taste buds. I gave it to one of the store workers at one of the LS I frequent. 

On 6/19/2017 at 0:38 PM, kevinbrink said:

No matter what the bourbon, I try to withhold negative reactions until I've had at least half the bottle. Your palate may be different but mine is not trustworthy until I give it a chance to adjust. Then I try to distinguish what is fundamentally sound bourbon that just does not appeal (4R OBSF for example) from seriously flawed bourbon (Old Crow mentioned several times).  I read a review recently by someone who claimed that Henry McKenna 10YO was the worst bourbon he had had since Blanton's! Seriously? If Blanton's falls into his worst category, he must be consuming the nectar of the gods on a regular basis.

Edited by Flyfish

39 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

No matter what the bourbon, I try to withhold negative reactions until I've had at least half the bottle. Your palate may be different but mine is not trustworthy until I give it a chance to adjust. Then I try to distinguish what is fundamentally sound bourbon that just does not appeal (4R OBSF for example) from seriously flawed bourbon (Old Crow mentioned several times).  I read a review recently by someone who claimed that Henry McKenna 10YO was the worst bourbon he had had since Blanton's! Seriously? If Blanton's falls into his worst category, he must be consuming the nectar of the gods on a regular basis.

I know people like this they are all fans of Craft Bourbon, the weirdos who happily plunk down the scratch for Hudson or whatever bullshit says Grain to Glass as if that means anything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.