Is "BARREL BOURBON" Worth the cost of Admission?

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm sure it's been discussed some here (mods may need to thrash me with a wet noodle:shocked:), but I figured if we're talking about whiskey, what the hell are we here for? So, here I go. :smiley_acbt:

With so much fine bourbon being produced by the majors, like many, I don't often feel the need to run around looking for the next 'great thing', but a respected store managers recommendation I could not resist.

So, someone in Kentucky is buying Tennessee 'bourbon' and aging it to sell at barrel proof? Well, I knew that, but didn't give it too much thought. Anyway, I have sampled my first pour of Barrel Bourbon batch 5 and concluded that if this isn't Dickel, someone must have stolen the recipe and added a bit of rye (or maybe stolen some of the Dickel that's aged over the years in KY:rolleyes:), 'cause everything else there in spades (to include the mineral note we often lovingly refer to as the Fred Flintstone vitamen:p)!

Nose: No way this isn't Dickel... Taste: No way this isn't Dickel, but very well done, balanced and refined, barrel proof Dickel. I love the thick mouth feel and boldness, yet it's nimble enough to allow you to let it linger and still, it does not give you burn or fatigue. What it does do, and very well, is give you just enough to beg for more. The finish is a balance of spice and wood, but not in a dry or cloying way. Watered down a bit to equal the proof, it would be difficult to guess which was which in a SBS with the barrel proof 9 yr old GD, but I like this presentation much better, most likely due to the added rye in the mash bill (well, the added proof doesn't hurt either;)).

My understanding is that this batch (#5) is the highest proofed release to date (124.7). Sadly, I'm afraid that this will come and go and the following batches will not hold par, as we all know that it can be a an expensive crapshoot and no one wants to swing and miss on a fairly expensive bottle! :hot:

So, I guess the bottom line for me is, I better grab a few more while I can, because I've drank a lot of whiskey, and this is good enough, as well as unique enough, to have on hand! :grin:

What say ye?

Whew! I escaped the whiskerexia nervosa induced undying need to purchase this based on a good review from you because you just so happened to note the relation to Dickel and that vitamin note that I dislike so much. I like so much of the same whiskey that you do so I'm surprised to find one where we differ.

Whew! I escaped the whiskerexia nervosa induced undying need to purchase this based on a good review from you because you just so happened to note the relation to Dickel and that vitamin note that I dislike so much. I like so much of the same whiskey that you do so I'm surprised to find one where we differ.

I've had Batch 4 which is distilled in KY. It was surprisingly good. I'm tempted to buy one as there is loads of it on the shelves around here. The price ($70) is off-putting but that's the new normal I guess.

Yes, I think I paid $68 for mine. Honestly, it's so unique and well done, I'm not hesitant to purchase another one.

Just had a chance to grab Barrell Batch #5 (!) today... $70ish.

Anyone tried it yet. The old guy behind the counter who seemed to know his stuff (been in biz 30 years, we talked brown water for an hour) said he loves it even more than batch 4.

Any word

;492247']Just had a chance to grab Barrell Batch #5 (!) today... $70ish.

Anyone tried it yet. The old guy behind the counter who seemed to know his stuff (been in biz 30 years' date=' we talked brown water for an hour) said he loves it even more than batch 4.

Any word[/quote']

Ummmm....did you read the first post?

Beuller!?!? :slappin:

Seriously, batch #5 is worthy of my repeat purchase!

After this thread I went back to my bottle today and again the first taste made me wonder why I went back. So I let the glass sit for 20 minutes or so and went back to it. This time not as bad but still medicinal however I did think to myself this is drinkable.

Then I thought, do I really want drinkable????

Jesus I must be getting old. I apparently got this thread confused with another I read on BB #4. My apologies for the noise, and thanks for the good review, Paddy! Hop's comment's echo others I've read as well (a little hot/medicinal). I think I may pass until I get a sample taste.

;492459']Jesus I must be getting old. I apparently got this thread confused with another I read on BB #4. My apologies for the noise' date=' and thanks for the good review, Paddy! Hop's comment's echo others I've read as well (a little hot/medicinal). I think I may pass until I get a sample taste.[/quote']

Well, if you're in central Ky... :rolleyes:

As to the burn, it's the best finishing whiskey I've had all year!

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw (earlier this week) where we have a private selection of this in the area. At $100, I'll be giving it a pass... :eek:

Hopefully, they won't move and I'll be able to scoop in and snag a few at discount. :grin:

As to batch #5 (which is reviewed upthread), although I've continued to drink it in an effort to determine otherwise, it's flat out proven itself to be one of the top 5 bottles I've had the pleasure to drink this year (vitamin note be damned)!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys - there's a few bottles of "Barrel Bourbon, Batch 006" on the shelf of my local liquor store - $89.00 ea.  I don't know much about it, other than a few nice reviews online. "Breaking Bourbon" rates it highly and states that it is close to the quality found in BTAC offerings.

Has anyone here tried this? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the hefty price?

Thanks!

Edited by starhopper

A big headline question at StraightBourbon.com based on the hype about Barrell Bourbon is going to guarantee I won't be able to find a single bottle on any shelf near me.  

9 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

A big headline question at StraightBourbon.com based on the hype about Barrell Bourbon is going to guarantee I won't be able to find a single bottle on any shelf near me.  

So sorry, I think it's a valid question! :huh:

Edited by starhopper

19 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

You can buy it online at one of the online liquor stores for retail though. 

This is a complicated formula of quality, value, market dynamics, etc.  The last two batches are distilled in Tennessee and are Dickel by most accounts.  If one does not like the Dickel profile, then that might disqualify Batches 005 and 006 from consideration right off the bat. 

Otherwise, in my case, I picked up a couple of bottles of Batch 006 for about $70 per bottle.  I opened one up and right out of the bottle, I was impressed.  I am letting it sit for a bit to perhaps open up a bit.  So this is high quality (IMO) 8 year+ old Tennessee bourbon, at 120+ proof, at $70 in my case and $90 in your case.  By comparison, I recently picked up an 11 year 6 month old 120 proof FR OBSQ for like $60.  One could argue that Barrell is not the best value (moreso at your price).  But if it ticks your boxes, and you are inclined to take the plunge, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Reports of most of the batches are positive, the latest batches in particular it seems.  

5 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

This is a complicated formula of quality, value, market dynamics, etc.  The last two batches are distilled in Tennessee and are Dickel by most accounts.  If one does not like the Dickel profile, then that might disqualify Batches 005 and 006 from consideration right off the bat. 

Otherwise, in my case, I picked up a couple of bottles of Batch 006 for about $70 per bottle.  I opened one up and right out of the bottle, I was impressed.  I am letting it sit for a bit to perhaps open up a bit.  So this is high quality (IMO) 8 year+ old Tennessee bourbon, at 120+ proof, at $70 in my case and $90 in your case.  By comparison, I recently picked up an 11 year 6 month old 120 proof FR OBSQ for like $60.  One could argue that Barrell is not the best value (moreso at your price).  But if it ticks your boxes, and you are inclined to take the plunge, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Reports of most of the batches are positive, the latest batches in particular it seems.  

Thanks - that was a VERY well presented case! I've never had any Dickel products, so I have no reference to compare it to I suppose

Edited by starhopper

3 hours ago, starhopper said:

Has anyone here tried this? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the hefty price?

I also balked at the price when it first showed up around me (priced at $88 for the bourbon, $62 for the whiskey).  I didn't hear anything about it for a while, until comments started showing up here that it was very enjoyable.  I still hesitated based on the price.  Jeffrey's comparison with the price/value of FRSB PS was exactly what was running through my head when I considered Barrell Bourbon.  Recently one of my regular stores advertised it on sale for $69.99 (perhaps because it was sitting on shelves too long) and I decided to strike.  It will probably be a while before I get around to opening it but I'm optimistic since I enjoy other Dickel products and because it continues to be well reviewed here.

Jason

4 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

This is a complicated formula of quality, value, market dynamics, etc.  The last two batches are distilled in Tennessee and are Dickel by most accounts.  If one does not like the Dickel profile, then that might disqualify Batches 005 and 006 from consideration right off the bat. ...

If it's from Dickel, maybe buy a $20 bottle of Dickel 12 first.  You can read the BOTM thread.  It's kind of hit or miss with people.  Yabba-dabba-doo

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

If it's from Dickel, maybe buy a $20 bottle of Dickel 12 first.  You can read the BOTM thread.  It's kind of hit or miss with people.  Yabba-dabba-doo

Actually, in all seriousness, the 9 year Dickel at 103 proof might be a good comparison.  I'll try to do a SBS one of these nights between the Dickel 9/103 and the Barrell Bourbon 006. 

29 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Actually, in all seriousness, the 9 year Dickel at 103 proof might be a good comparison.  I'll try to do a SBS one of these nights between the Dickel 9/103 and the Barrell Bourbon 006. 

I may do the same. I have an 005 batch along with some Dickel of some sort and tomorrow is Wednesday after all!

I've got a bottle of barrel 005 and for me the answer is no... however there are several others here that are absolutely loving it. Again everyone has a different palate and YMMV (your mileage may vary)

I have a bottle of Barrel Bourbon Batch 005. Only tried it once so far during the Superbowl. It was good, and I think it will get better, but it needs to open up and breathe a little. I think it will end up being a really nice pour given some time.

I don't really taste the Dickel similarity. I've had Dickel 12 and thought the vitamin finish was absolutely wretched. I didn't get any of that at all from the Barrel Bourbon. I would say, like the others have suggested, if you are willing to pay $60 or so for a 4R PS, and want to be a little adventurous, get the Barrel Bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.