Is "BARREL BOURBON" Worth the cost of Admission?

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I declared the batch 5 as Dickel after the first sip- Dickel the way it should be. I have had Dickel 9 PS before, and there is a flavor continuum between the BB and D9, but the BB has so much more depth, mouthfeel and 'elegance'. The BB#6 is an even more refined barrel pick, compared to the BB#5. The empty glass smells heavenly. In today's market, worth every penny (even more so at $70 instead of $90). I have a 4R PS OBSO 11y4m open right now that is pretty good, and the BB#6 outshines it in every way, even at only 8yrs old. Currently the best bourbon available in the state right now, even ECBP ( yes, really, and I am an ECBP fan extraordinaire).

My first rodeo with batch 5 led me to compare it to Dickel as well.  But there is too much rye in the mash, therefore I believe it to be Prichard's distillate.

Whatever it may be, it's turned out to be a 'wow' bourbon for me. 

Ill also note that I was very skeptical due to the aversion I have for NDP's, as well as the price.  I was finally pushed over the edge by a friend/store monger who highly recommended it.  Needless to say, I'm very glad that I took his advice! 

As for asking the question... that's what this place is for.  So don't sweat that too much, as the words out on this stuff anyway.  I'm pretty sure I started a thread here somewhere and went so far as to say (somewhere here:ph34r:) that batch 5 was one of my top 5 pours of the year.

As to batch 6?  The only thing I've heard about it... 

...is that it blows batch 5 away... 

4 minutes ago, Paddy said:

My first rodeo with batch 5 led me to compare it to Dickel as well.  But there is too much rye in the mash, therefore I believe it to be Prichard's distillate.

Ill also note that I was very skeptical due to the aversion I have for NDP's, as well as the price.  I was finally pushed over the edge by a friend/store monger who highly recommended it.  Needless to say, I'm very glad that I took his advice! 

As for asking the question... that's what this place is for.  So don't sweat that too much, as the words out on this stuff anyway.  I'm pretty sure I started a thread here somewhere and went so far as to say (somewhere here:ph34r:) that batch 5 was one of my top 5 pours of the year.

I haven't had any Pritchard's yet- now I'll have to find some to see what you're talking about. Do you know how old their stocks are now? I am assuming that you are talking about their Tennessee Whiskey and not the 'Double Barreled' bourbon.

15 minutes ago, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

I haven't had any Pritchard's yet- now I'll have to find some to see what you're talking about. Do you know how old their stocks are now? I am assuming that you are talking about their Tennessee Whiskey and not the 'Double Barreled' bourbon.

I can't speak to any knowledge of their stock age, but they've been distilling since the late 90's. 

15 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I can't speak to any knowledge of their stock age, but they've been distilling since the late 90's. 

Not much specific to be gained from their website- looks like they started out distilling rum, and who knows when the whiskey distilling began, but they certainly have been around for long enough to have some well-aged stuff.

Edit- OK, the plot thickens- just read that the Pritchard's Tennessee Whiskey is in fact sourced- so that leaves by default only JD or Dickel (right?) I still say Dickel.

Edited by DeltaAlphaVictorEasy
Update

Guys - thanks for all of the feedback.....I'm gonna purchase the BB 006 tomorrow!  I love this forum!:D

33 minutes ago, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

Not much specific to be gained from their website- looks like they started out distilling rum, and who knows when the whiskey distilling began, but they certainly have been around for long enough to have some well-aged stuff.

Edit- OK, the plot thickens- just read that the Pritchard's Tennessee Whiskey is in fact sourced- so that leaves by default only JD or Dickel (right?) I still say Dickel.

It resembles Dickel, but that could just be due to the Lincoln process (given that it's admittedly a Tennessee product). 

Still, as noted earlier, way too much rye in this to be an unadulterated Dickel mb IMO...

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

You guys are going to make me hunt one of these down now aren't you?

On 2/9/2016, 9:08:49, starhopper said:

So sorry, I think it's a valid question! :huh:

Yes, it is a valid question, but that doesn't mean it is a smart one.  Put it in a bold font heading here with thousands of lurkers and you have shelves cleared and internet sites wiped clean by hoarders.  Enjoy it, if you store hasn't already been cleared out.  Your unnecessary post means I'm less able to find it.

18 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Yes, it is a valid question, but that doesn't mean it is a smart one.  Put it in a bold font heading here with thousands of lurkers and you have shelves cleared and internet sites wiped clean by hoarders.  Enjoy it, if you store hasn't already been cleared out.  Your unnecessary post means I'm less able to find it.

I can understand...somewhat...the point you're trying to make here, but no reason to go overboard.  Hopper's question/thread is valid, not "unnecessary", and certainly worthy of discussion and opinions of the membership, here.

46 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

He's already been called out once, so this is unnecessary and a little over the top.  If you want to find it go to their website and they have a store listing available.  It's not like no one already knew about this stuff, hell the reviews are everywhere. 

Maybe the mods can merge this thread into the one we already have?  IMO, no question should be belittled here.  Furthermore, this site is already well managed and I trust that the mods here are quite capable of policing what threads they want to be public vs private.

Carry on!

Edited by Paddy
Joe beat me to the punch, so... what he said!

I posted my positive review of Barrel Bourbon #005 on page 2 of the thread entitled " What barrel proof whiskey do you enjoy neat, no water added. "  But after getting chastised for writing "my autobiography", I'll only add that BB #006 is even better and going for $63 O-T-D here in MetroWest Boston - and there are plenty on the shelves.  Great pour for the money since I only need one (1) for the night!   ;) 

Edited by GeeTen

29 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

I posted my positive review of Barrel Bourbon #005 on page 2 of the thread entitled " What barrel proof whiskey do you enjoy neat, no water added. "  But after getting chastised for writing "my autobiography", I'll only add that BB #006 is even better and going for $63 O-T-D here in MetroWest Boston - and there are plenty on the shelves.  Great pour for the money since I only need one (1) for the night!   ;) 

GeeTen - I read your review - I thought it was very well written.:)

3 hours ago, starhopper said:

Madhatter - I apologize for possibly making it harder to find your bottle - life is definitely unfair in this crazy bourbon boom of ours. While you're at it, why don't you surf on over to "Breaking Bourbon" and bust his balls for giving it a a high rating and saying "get it before it's too late".^_^

Hey, Hops.  It appears you have MH's quote attributed to me.  Can you fix that for me?  I don't want to hurt anyone else's feelings! ;)

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Hey, Hops.  It appears you have MH's quote attributed to me.  Can you fix that for me?  I don't want to hurt anyone else's feelings! ;)

Joe - oops - sorry!  How do I do that since I can no longer edit? (at least I included his screen name in my response lol)

Edited by starhopper

16 minutes ago, starhopper said:

Maybe an administrator can just remove my post?

2 minutes ago, starhopper said:

I went ahead and reported my own post to the administrator and asked them to remove it lol.

G10,If we never talked about the Bourbon we liked the wouldn't me much to talk about here. Don't sweat it.

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I'm pissed that you can find it so cheap there!:P  I thought I got a great deal on batch 5 in the $70's. 

Private selections here (there are two that I'm aware of) run anywhere from $99.99 to $109.99.  I've been told that the PS's here are 'better' than batch 5, but at that price, I'm not looking to find out anytime soon.

3 hours ago, starhopper said:

I went ahead and reported my own post to the administrator and asked them to remove it lol.

Done

1 minute ago, p_elliott said:

Done

Paul,

Can we merge this thread into the one we already have (so the neon sign on top of this title is toned down a little)?

Pretty please?

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎50‎:‎24‎, Paddy said:

It resembles Dickel, but that could just be due to the Lincoln process (given that it's admittedly a Tennessee product). 

Still, as noted earlier, way too much rye in this to be an unadulterated Dickel mb IMO...

Pritchard's, in addition to being sourced (if that is the case, I am not sure), does not undergo the "Lincoln County process" as I understand it. They managed to get an exemption to be "grandfathered" into the Tennessee legislation that defined Tennessee whiskey despite not being charcoal filtered for some reason, perhaps because they had been around for awhile and were bitching about that requirement being included. Or maybe they knew a legislator or two who were overly friendly with livestock! Who knows these days in "politics".

Edited by tanstaafl2

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Pritchard's, in addition to being sourced, does not undergo the "Lincoln County process" as I understand it. They managed to get an exemption to be "grandfathered" into the Tennessee legislation that defined Tennessee whiskey despite not being charcoal filtered for some reason, perhaps because they had been around for awhile and were bitching about that requirement being included. Or maybe they knew a legislator or two who were overly friendly with livestock! Who knows these days in "politics".

Good one Bruce!  Lincoln Co process or not, I can't say it's Pritchard's, because really... I have no idea where the distillate is sourced from.  In my extensive searching of the interwebs:D, the only sources that seem to be speculated on is either Dickel or the aforementioned.  Hell, for all I know this is some rogue Popcorn Sutton distillate that's been lost in a cave until the past couple of years (does that backstory sound familiar:lol:)!

What I do know is that they are claiming nearly 30% rye in the mashbill, so whatever it is.... I like it. 

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Good one Bruce!  Lincoln Co process or not, I can't say it's Pritchard's, because really... I have no idea where the distillate is sourced from.  In my extensive searching of the interwebs:D, the only sources that seem to be speculated on is either Dickel or the aforementioned.  Hell, for all I know this is some rogue Popcorn Sutton distillate that's been lost in a cave until the past couple of years (does that backstory sound familiar:lol:)!

What I do know is that they are claiming nearly 30% rye in the mashbill, so whatever it is.... I like it. 

I amended my original post as I am not sure whether Prichard's is sourced or not. I think the they may make the recently released 10yo Tennessee Whiskey (that is not charcoal filtered) but they may source the Double Barreled bourbon and just rebarrel and age it at the distillery. As you say it isn't really clear because they don't seem to provide much information. And it is not one I generally go out of my way to look for anyway!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.