Is "BARREL BOURBON" Worth the cost of Admission?

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I'm pissed that you can find it so cheap there!:P  I thought I got a great deal on batch 5 in the $70's. 

Private selections here (there are two that I'm aware of) run anywhere from $99.99 to $109.99.  I've been told that the PS's here are 'better' than batch 5, but at that price, I'm not looking to find out anytime soon.

Hey Paddy,

While we can get a lot of stuff cheaper here (no tax on booze!), I still can't find a bottle (or two) of Weller12.  Need to get some to vat with my overstock of OWA ($21.99 :lol:).

43 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Paddy,

While we can get a lot of stuff cheaper here (no tax on booze!), I still can't find a bottle (or two) of Weller12.  Need to get some to vat with my overstock of OWA ($21.99 :lol:).

OWA @ $21.99, yes please!  Unfortunately, Weller anything is pretty much AWOL in Kentucky. 

• 1 month later...

I finally got a bottle of this (batch 5), and I have to say it's very good. To me it has all the telltale signs of D9y (which I like a lot) with more proof but surprisingly less burn, to me. If I were to come across a batch 6 I would pick it up (not sure how much older batch 6 is). 

image.thumb.jpeg.2cd468dc37e325114d5d981

A side note, I don't know why but I find it to be a messy pouring bottle. 

Edited by LCWoody

9 hours ago, LCWoody said:

If I were to come across a batch 6 I would pick it up (not sure how much older batch 6 is).  

According to the "Breaking Bourbon" review, Batch #006 is "only about 3 months older (than the #005), and is about the same proof; however it was aged in a lower level of the rickhouse."  

I'm still lovin' both #005 and #006 ($63 OTD here in MetroWest Boston) in single dram/nite sessions!    :D:D:D:D:D

Note to Mods:  If I've violated any copyright issues, please delete this post.  Thanks.

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling corrections

Both batches 5 and 6 are stocked fairly deep around here at several ABC stores- I know the price is a bit steep (86.99) but I am surprised that it hasn't moved for so long.

Batch 5 has been on the shelf since late last summer and Batch 6 for a few months now. Anything else that is even close to being limited disappears quickly- but this one, no.

I personally love both 5 and 6, with a slight preference for 6- it is some of the best whiskey out there right now and is stablemates with Blantons SFTB, ECBP and SAOS BP Rye.

On March 26, 2016 at 9:49 AM, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

Both batches 5 and 6 are stocked fairly deep around here at several ABC stores- I know the price is a bit steep (86.99) but I am surprised that it hasn't moved for so long.

Batch 5 has been on the shelf since late last summer and Batch 6 for a few months now. Anything else that is even close to being limited disappears quickly- but this one, no.

I personally love both 5 and 6, with a slight preference for 6- it is some of the best whiskey out there right now and is stablemates with Blantons SFTB, ECBP and SAOS BP Rye.

DAVE: Based on your preference, I bought a batch 6 today.   Probably would not have without your recommendation.   Thanks!     Go Heels! 

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, $helby said:

DAVE: Based on your preference, I bought a batch 6 today.   Probably would not have without your recommendation.   Thanks!     Go Heels! 

image.jpeg

LOL!!  That freakin' made my day right there.

GO HEELS!!!!

I found a store that has a bottle of Batch 001.  I'm not familiar with it and don't know if I should run out to pick it up.  I had a pour of batch 006 last night at a bar.  I thought it was exceptional.  Luckily, I had already had another drink first so my mouth was "broken in" so to speak.  Otherwise, I think that 122 proof might have over powered me a bit.  As it was, I thought it was very smooth with a lot of flavor. I found it to be very complex without the a over abundance of heat that you might expect out a 122 proof. It was really delicious.   I may be bias because I had just come from a local place that is making their own whiskey and I tried there not quite 2yr old "bourbon" which was as one would expect ...............lacking to put it nicely.  Then I had the Barrel 006 at a different place followed with a Knob Creek.  The Knob is usually something that I like but don't love but after the Barrel it tasted rather generic and hollow to me.  If I found a Batch 006 I would most likely buy it depending on the price but I have access to this Batch 001.  What should I expect from this compared to batch 006 and should I pass on the 001 and just pick up a 006?  Which is better? Thanks.

Can't speak to either of those particular batches and which is best is a very subjective thing. What is best to you might not be best to me and since they seem to have been fairly different from batch to batch the only way to know is to give them a try. As I recall reviews of both are generally good.

It is of course mystery whiskey (at least as far as I know. Seems like Dickel has been speculated as a source) that typically isn't much more than 5 or 6 years old for a pretty steep price, even in the current market. So it would be something of a gamble. I took that gamble out of curiosity and bought batch 5 (which I had to have shipped to me since as far as I know it isn't available locally). It was pretty good but not enough that I will look to buy anymore even if it was a local option. Since every batch is new and unknown it is essentially taking a flyer every time and that isn't worth the cost and effort.

Besides, I have other things I am interested in taking a flyer on!

9 hours ago, Flyhighx said:

I found a store that has a bottle of Batch 001.  I'm not familiar with it and don't know if I should run out to pick it up.  I had a pour of batch 006 last night at a bar.  I thought it was exceptional.  Luckily, I had already had another drink first so my mouth was "broken in" so to speak.  Otherwise, I think that 122 proof might have over powered me a bit.  As it was, I thought it was very smooth with a lot of flavor. I found it to be very complex without the a over abundance of heat that you might expect out a 122 proof. It was really delicious.   I may be bias because I had just come from a local place that is making their own whiskey and I tried there not quite 2yr old "bourbon" which was as one would expect ...............lacking to put it nicely.  Then I had the Barrel 006 at a different place followed with a Knob Creek.  The Knob is usually something that I like but don't love but after the Barrel it tasted rather generic and hollow to me.  If I found a Batch 006 I would most likely buy it depending on the price but I have access to this Batch 001.  What should I expect from this compared to batch 006 and should I pass on the 001 and just pick up a 006?  Which is better? Thanks.

Are you sure that it is Barrell Bourbon Batch 001? it may be Barrell Whiskey Batch 001. They are different things, check out their website.

And yes, Batch 6 is exceptional- I am amazed that this <5000 bottle bourbon is just sitting on shelves. BTW, I just went to the website, which has recently changed format, to find the announcement of Batch 7. It is only 5 years old and says aged in Tennessee, but not distilled there. Almost the exact same mashbill as Batch 6. The descrpition is getting a bit verbose (from the website):

Sizzling corn pudding in the nose, slathered in freshly churned maple butter gives way to dark, bittersweet chocolate and deeper notes of salted caramel and roasted stone fruits such as quince and plum. Bursts of citrus oils, grapefruit and Satsuma orange reveal themselves down the back of your throat along with tiny revelations of burnt sugar and salted caramel.

• mash bill: 70% corn, 25% rye, 5% malted barley

• Aged in Tennessee

• Bottled at 122.4 proof

• Aged for 5 years in Char #4 American white oak barrels

FLAVOR NOTES:

Neat

Appearance: Opulently amber in hue, both soft and clear at the edge. Broad strokes of natural fats drip in deeply viscous lines down the side of the glass

Nose: Radiant slices of green melon and charred stone fruits like quince, peaches and plums move quickly into deeper notes of oak- scented rickhouse and and toasted cornbread crumbs

Palate: Toasty wood oven baked peach pies with a flaky hand- turned crust, introduces your taste buds to the deeper sultry flavors, intensely redolent of crunchy, sweet potato crusted hush puppies

Finish: The long finish reveals exuberant aromatics of country fair corn dogs deep fried in lard along with lighter notes of salted figs

Edited by DeltaAlphaVictorEasy
more to say

Ah yes. You are correct.  It looks as though the Batch 001 is in fact labeled as Barrel Whiskey Batch 001.  I found a nice write up about batch 001 here that was just written today I believe :  Breaking Bourbon. I think I'll pass on the 001 and continue to look for the 006

The barrel whiskey batch 1 has been priced quite a bit cheaper than the bourbon.  It is sourced from Indiana and utilizes second use barrels, therefore cannot be called bourbon .  In my experience, it is well worth a go!  

I had batch 6 last night at a friend's house for the third time. I still can't figure it out. It's definitely a bit different tasting, but I'm not sure I like it. I wouldn't buy it for the $90 it cost my friend nor even $50. I prefer others at cheaper prices. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a  bottle of batch 007 on a shelf. Can anyone make any comparisons with the 007 and either the 006 or 005? 

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2016 at 8:21 PM, ccleve23 said:

I bought batch 006 and really enjoy it. 

and this statement might've put me over the top, along with the review Paddy posted, I opted for batch 6 from the descriptions of the flavor and nose.  once I get over this cold, I'll have to try it out immediately and report back the results

• 4 weeks later...

I was in a store while on vacation and picked up a bottle of Batch 6 (about $90) and there were about three others on the shelf. Wish I had picked up another while I was there for the bunker as with these reviews it might not be found again...

Batch #007 just hit the shelves here in Beantown today.  Same price for the 5yr juice (#007) as the 8 yr (#006).  Uhhh, no thanks. Grabbed another bottle of the #006 jjust because.   :huh:

I've passed on batches 6 and 7 so far, along with some private selections.  I'm pretty content to just hoard the BW 001, for now!  ;)

• 5 months later...

I was just offered a bottle (hidden behind a shoulder and with a sly wink) priced at $85!!! 

I asked the purveyor (or at least the new counter guy) what it was all about.

He said something to the effect that some batches were rated by some connoiseurs as less than stellar; but this new one is to die for, and will be all gone and impossible to replace at any cost within days. 

He didn't know what batch number it was.    I didn't care.    I noted the 13-year age statement and a proof listed at about 114 (I don't recall the exact number).    And, I saw it was distilled in Tennessee.    I assume that means Dickel, which I don't care for.      I passed, telling him I just couldn't afford that much cash right at the moment.

I see a couple of folks up thread have asked about Batch 007 but I don't see where anyone offered an opinion. After hearing such great things about 005 & 006 and after loving BW 001 I was excited to try BB 007. But in my opinion it was not good at all. It taste so damn young and grain corn heavy with a glue and turpentine nose...I just couldn't stand it. I ended up drinking it with ice and making milkshakes out of it. Finally after sitting half full in the bottle for a couple of months it improved slightly. I started to pick up apple, plum and pear. But still, it was my least favorite cask strength whiskey ever.

On a happier note, BW 001 & 002 are absolutely fantastic! I actually like 002 better than 001, and I'm glad teh sherry finish didn't overwhelm or sweeten the whiskey. 

But back to BB 007, this is what I think of it: 

9132b704-97b8-4ee8-987e-26e624479d3a.jpg

0415161810.jpg

26 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I was just offered a bottle (hidden behind a shoulder and with a sly wink) priced at $85!!! 

I asked the purveyor (or at least the new counter guy) what it was all about.

He said something to the effect that some batches were rated by some connoiseurs as less than stellar; but this new one is to die for, and will be all gone and impossible to replace at any cost within days. 

He didn't know what batch number it was.    I didn't care.    I noted the 13-year age statement and a proof listed at about 114 (I don't recall the exact number).    And, I saw it was distilled in Tennessee.    I assume that means Dickel, which I don't care for.      I passed, telling him I just couldn't afford that much cash right at the moment.

Good call.  I have batch 006, which is wonderful.  From what I've read, the recent batches don't measure up to it in quality.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.