Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

3 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Pricing from a LS in Dallas.

Taylor Small Batch is priced above Single Barrel? I might have to try that Elijah Graig. :)

• I like it 3

I’m traveling to Dallas on Monday— now I know where to score my Rock Hill Farms for the hotel room. Funny that the Scotch prices are relatively straight. 

15 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I’m traveling to Dallas on Monday— now I know where to score my Rock Hill Farms for the hotel room. Funny that the Scotch prices are relatively straight. 

Save your money on the RHF by picking up some $100 TX Bourbon. That’s some of the best liquid cardboard you can buy.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Save your money on the RHF by picking up some $100 TX Bourbon. That’s some of the best liquid cardboard you can buy.

Funny, tasted like lighter fluid to me when I had it.

• I like it 1

I stopped at Sam’s Club today to grab some solar lights for the front of my house. Of course, I had to check out the booze. As I approached the display area, there was a younger guy looking at the shelves, then at his cell phone. Rinse, wash and repeat. I asked him what he was looking for. He said, “Henry McKenna 10. I read an article on the internet where it won a best whiskey award at some competition.”  He then showed me a pic of a bottle on his phone. I politely told him I knew what it was, that I had met the man that wrote the article, it might be a bit overhyped, and that he wasn’t gonna find any around here.  He then said he really wanted a decent bottle of bourbon, and asked if I had any recommendations. ^_^ I gave him the rundown on FRSB, EC, RR 10, and BT. He thanked me, grabbed a liter bottle of BT and headed to the checkout.  

Biba! Joe

• I like it 13

I stopped at Sam’s Club today to grab some solar lights for the front of my house. Of course, I had to check out the booze. As I approached the display area, there was a younger guy looking at the shelves, then at his cell phone. Rinse, wash and repeat. I asked him what he was looking for. He said, “Henry McKenna 10. I read an article on the internet where it won a best whiskey award at some competition.”  He then showed me a pic of a bottle on his phone. I politely told him I knew what it was, that I had met the man that wrote the article, it might be a bit overhyped, and that he wasn’t gonna find any around here.  He then said he really wanted a decent bottle of bourbon, and asked if I had any recommendations. [emoji5] I gave him the rundown on FRSB, EC, RR 10, and BT. He thanked me, grabbed a liter bottle of BT and headed to the checkout.  

Biba! Joe

I like this and I bet he’ll enjoy the BT more if he’s just starting out, BT is what lead me down this abyss.
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I stopped at Sam’s Club today to grab some solar lights for the front of my house. Of course, I had to check out the booze. As I approached the display area, there was a younger guy looking at the shelves, then at his cell phone. Rinse, wash and repeat. I asked him what he was looking for. He said, “Henry McKenna 10. I read an article on the internet where it won a best whiskey award at some competition.”  He then showed me a pic of a bottle on his phone. I politely told him I knew what it was, that I had met the man that wrote the article, it might be a bit overhyped, and that he wasn’t gonna find any around here.  He then said he really wanted a decent bottle of bourbon, and asked if I had any recommendations. ^_^ I gave him the rundown on FRSB, EC, RR 10, and BT. He thanked me, grabbed a liter bottle of BT and headed to the checkout.  

Biba! Joe

You just did Bourbonia some good service today. Thank you.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I'm curious, do you remember what the price of the BT was?

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

I'm curious, do you remember what the price of the BT was?

All the bottles I told him about were at good prices. The BT was $27.00 for a liter, EC was $28.00, FRSB was $33.00 and the RR was $31.00.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Joe, you did your bourbon good deed of the day.  Hope you rewarded yourself with a nice healthy pour of your favorite.  Sometimes I'll see people walking up and down the aisle and I'll ask them what they're looking for.  If they are interested I'll give them my suggestions based on what I've had. 

• I like it 1

On 3/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, DeepCover said:

198EC16C-C844-49B9-99E1-B73356CF8E7C.jpeg

ACCA2080-7929-4FAD-B908-796BF4861E40.jpeg

BBD8D85A-43EA-4D32-A10B-750796773AFC.jpeg

Pricey a bit they be.

3 hours ago, mross said:

Pricey a bit they be.

I'm intrigued by the PVW Family Reserve Bourbon 13 year old...  :lol:

I can't believe what that LS tries to charge. I've been there once and the best thing they had was an AECS. He said he would give me a deal since it was my first time in; $400 ?

6 minutes ago, afinchmustang said:

I can't believe what that LS tries to charge. I've been there once and the best thing they had was an AECS. He said he would give me a deal since it was my first time in; $400 ?

Huh, you didn't buy 10 at that ridiculously low price??? ?

Picked up a store pick in DC last week. BT $35, ER $50, OWA $99. Had the whole Pappy line including ORVR23 and 25. The ORVW10 was $640 and the the ORVW25 was $18,500. I’ve never seen any of the Pappy line sitting on the shelf granted you couldn’t reach it from the floor. But at those prices they can sit forever until they get someone that doesn’t know any better with a couple grand burning a hole in their pocket. I’m glad I don’t live in DC if prices are like that everywhere.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:19 PM, DeepCover said:

198EC16C-C844-49B9-99E1-B73356CF8E7C.jpeg

ACCA2080-7929-4FAD-B908-796BF4861E40.jpeg

BBD8D85A-43EA-4D32-A10B-750796773AFC.jpeg

I had a great time here today-- thanks for alerting me to their existence.

The guys were great, gave me full access to all of the nooks and crannies-- poured gratis bourbon, gave me 25% off my Scotch purchases (which were already reasonably priced) and loaded me up with bottled water for the hour walk back to the hotel. I did ask about the listed spendy bourbons and apparently they were being sold on consignment for third parties-- he seemed embarrassed about it and preferred to talk Scotch. I may be back there later tonight.

• I like it 1

I had a great time here today-- thanks for alerting me to their existence.
The guys were great, gave me full access to all of the nooks and crannies-- poured gratis bourbon, gave me 25% off my Scotch purchases (which were already reasonably priced) and loaded me up with bottled water for the hour walk back to the hotel. I did ask about the listed spendy bourbons and apparently they were being sold on consignment for third parties-- he seemed embarrassed about it and preferred to talk Scotch. I may be back there later tonight.

Can liquor stores sell on consignment in Texas?

Did anyone else notice, the 1L of W12 is $50 more expensive than the 1.75L of W12.

I'd pick up the HW son of bourye for $40 as I've never had it and seems reasonably priced.

lol Dallas Fine Wine’s are always overpriced.

$249 for RHF? I paid like $75 for a bottle of it in Austin last week

On 4/1/2019 at 6:30 PM, HoustonNit said:

Can liquor stores sell on consignment in Texas?

Not sure if they “can” by law but stumbled upon one a few weeks ago in Dallas area that was doing that.

I recently stopped by a new LS in a neighboring county.  He had ER on the shelf at $31.99.  I grabbed three bottles (1 for me, 1 for son, 1 for friend) and was going on about how great the price was.  Left a few bottles on the shelf.  Decided that I should go ahead and pick up a couple more bottles since the price was so great.  I guess I should have kept my mouth shut about the price.  When I went back, surprise, it was $52.99 a bottle.

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I guess I should have kept my mouth shut about the price.

Umm, ya think...?  :)  

On 4/3/2019 at 8:50 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

I recently stopped by a new LS in a neighboring county.  He had ER on the shelf at $31.99.  I grabbed three bottles (1 for me, 1 for son, 1 for friend) and was going on about how great the price was.  Left a few bottles on the shelf.  Decided that I should go ahead and pick up a couple more bottles since the price was so great.  I guess I should have kept my mouth shut about the price.  When I went back, surprise, it was $52.99 a bottle.

Saw here for $80 a bottle yesterday. So yeah...

• 2 weeks later...

A local store has Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for $99.99, I'm guessing this is waaaaay over priced? Let me know if I'm wrong. I truly do want to know if this is a  good price.  If so, I'm going to pick one up, if not, I'll let it sit and see if it goes on special.