Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

57 minutes ago, BogusOwnz said:

Gold Eagle, they aren't lying. The tasting bar rarely has anything marked up, to badly. Looks like they have Weller 12 for $9 a pour. 

Indeed, it is Gold Eagle. A store I visit a couple times a year when visiting relatives. It's a good LS with a decent selection and some barrel picks, but Weller 12 for $9 a pour is still over $200 per bottle, which is highway robbery. They aren't a bar. Just sayin. They can do what the want, of course, its their business, but I don't buy the altruistic statements in their 'bourbon hunter" notice. Whether they sell it by the ounce or for $200+ per bottle, they're price gouging like everyone else and I walked out without buying anything. That's why it was a "huh" moment for me.

7 hours ago, jvd99 said:

and I walked out without buying anything. That's why it was a "huh" moment for me.

Did you ask if they had any Pappy?

• I like it 6

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

Now that's funny! 

16 hours ago, 0895 said:

I did, like 7 years ago.  They promised to put me on their list.  

Still waiting for that call....

• I like it 3

On 3/8/2023 at 1:31 PM, jvd99 said:

I did, like 7 years ago.  They promised to put me on their list.  

Still waiting for that call....

Long list.

• I like it 1

Not a specific store "huh" moment but a bourbonshpere "huh" in general. I stopped into a local or 3 today to shop for a friend who is searching for something (not pappy LOL). I found one and the new price is 99 vs the previous 80 something vs the previous 60-70 which began life at around 40. OK inflation is one thing but today, maybe it just caught me " in a mood" but my immediate reaction was F.U.!!!! The explosion of NDP labels above the 60.00 level along with the pricing of certain expressions having now more than doubled and lotteries and "scoring" something basic like ETL.... really????? Not to mention the dumb ass labels that get plastered over various stores "picks"....well kids, I am glad I am now only an occasional sipper and that my tastes are more than satisfied below 60.00, often well below. I am also glad I still have the bunker that, while it was never intended LOL,  grew over the years and will keep me well stocked likely till the end of my days.

I have one more potential multi bottle buying excursion ahead of me then the curtain comes down. I expect after that I will VERY selectively pick up 1 or 2 a year, and they damn well better blow me away or it will be zero. FWIW the excursion ahead will only result in purchases if I find them exceptional, I guess any purchase should right?  I don't find the cutesy stickers on store pick bottles to be cute, I think they are stupid and cheapen what may or may not be  a worthy pick ( no tasting here in GA so I no longer roll the dice on these) taters seem to LOVE em though. That's the thing, this whole deal has become something "else", something apart from what I found appealing for so many years, decades in fact. I don't do stickers, lotteries, visitors centers packed shoulder to shoulder like an airport terminal during the holidays, rows of labels I have NO idea who made what and want a kings ransom for it, "scores" ?? WTF its a bottle of booze, calm down, it might suck, then what?? I am VERY glad SB.com exists here but out there....HUH doesn't even begin to describe it. If any of the above IS your thing, I mean no offense, have at it you certainly wont be getting any competition from me.

• I like it 6

21 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

That's the thing, this whole deal has become something "else", something apart from what I found appealing for so many years, decades in fact.

Wish I'd have figured it out sooner.  But I didn't.  No worries.  I'm playing the hand I was dealt.  Learning a bunch and enjoying it quite a lot, the frenzy notwithstanding.

And the good people here at SB have helped guide me through the frenzy. For which I am grateful.  Good crew.

I'm not envious at all of those who "got it" earlier on and have awesome bunkers of great stuff, bought cheaply, and probably not even duplicable nowadays.  Good for them, no harm done to others.

It's all good.

Cheers!

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

Not a specific store "huh" moment but a bourbonshpere "huh" in general. I stopped into a local or 3 today to shop for a friend who is searching for something (not pappy LOL). I found one and the new price is 99 vs the previous 80 something vs the previous 60-70 which began life at around 40. OK inflation is one thing but today, maybe it just caught me " in a mood" but my immediate reaction was F.U.!!!! The explosion of NDP labels above the 60.00 level along with the pricing of certain expressions having now more than doubled and lotteries and "scoring" something basic like ETL.... really????? Not to mention the dumb ass labels that get plastered over various stores "picks"....well kids, I am glad I am now only an occasional sipper and that my tastes are more than satisfied below 60.00, often well below. I am also glad I still have the bunker that, while it was never intended LOL,  grew over the years and will keep me well stocked likely till the end of my days.

I have one more potential multi bottle buying excursion ahead of me then the curtain comes down. I expect after that I will VERY selectively pick up 1 or 2 a year, and they damn well better blow me away or it will be zero. FWIW the excursion ahead will only result in purchases if I find them exceptional, I guess any purchase should right?  I don't find the cutesy stickers on store pick bottles to be cute, I think they are stupid and cheapen what may or may not be  a worthy pick ( no tasting here in GA so I no longer roll the dice on these) taters seem to LOVE em though. That's the thing, this whole deal has become something "else", something apart from what I found appealing for so many years, decades in fact. I don't do stickers, lotteries, visitors centers packed shoulder to shoulder like an airport terminal during the holidays, rows of labels I have NO idea who made what and want a kings ransom for it, "scores" ?? WTF its a bottle of booze, calm down, it might suck, then what?? I am VERY glad SB.com exists here but out there....HUH doesn't even begin to describe it. If any of the above IS your thing, I mean no offense, have at it you certainly wont be getting any competition from me.

I hear you brother...Amen!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Wish I'd have figured it out sooner.  But I didn't.  No worries.  I'm playing the hand I was dealt.  Learning a bunch and enjoying it quite a lot, the frenzy notwithstanding.

And the good people here at SB have helped guide me through the frenzy. For which I am grateful.  Good crew.

I'm not envious at all of those who "got it" earlier on and have awesome bunkers of great stuff, bought cheaply, and probably not even duplicable nowadays.  Good for them, no harm done to others.

It's all good.

Cheers!

“Learning a bunch and enjoying it quite a lot” that’s exactly how ya do it. I wish for the newer enthusiasts there was just much less frenzy to notwithstand. I am glad for the expanded genuine distillery options available, particularly ryes that have come of age in recent years. The upside is all that tater bait distracts from many of the things I enjoy so in its own weird and aggravating way it provides some level of insulation. As the saying goes, can’t have your cake and eat it too.

• I like it 1

If long time SB members were to interview to watch the kids after school…LOL!

• I like it 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Not a specific store "huh" moment but a bourbonshpere "huh" in general. I stopped into a local or 3 today to shop for a friend who is searching for something (not pappy LOL). I found one and the new price is 99 vs the previous 80 something vs the previous 60-70 which began life at around 40. OK inflation is one thing but today, maybe it just caught me " in a mood" but my immediate reaction was F.U.!!!!

This sounds suspiciously like a ECBP.  I can still occasionally find it in the mid-$70s but most stores now either place it a lottery or on the shelf for $99.  I blinked when it went from $40 to $45 then $55 then $60 then $70 then $75. I am will go $75 but that's my new line in the sand.  

I only drink the good stuff now.  WT101, OF100.  Occasionally FRSiB, FRSmB Select, KC.   A few others but all sub-$40.  I love to explore what's on the shelf but not much really stands out for the price.   However, I am good with the NDPs with cool stories and fancy labels.  Same with Total Wine Spirits Direct.  Let's get people buying more of these and less of those things we enjoy.  Sure man, that McFarlane's Reserve is great.  You can drink it neat, on the rocks, or in a cocktail.  But, if you want to step up try Chestnut Farms.  It is distilled at Barton. 

Meanwhile, I casually push my cart full of WT101, OF100 over to the next aisle conveniently out of sight.

• I like it 3

On 3/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, kcgumbohead said:

I don't post on here alot but I have to agree with you.  Just because you put it in a bottle doesn't make it worth a premium price.  To me, the same with a store pick label.  How do I know if your palate is like mine if I don't get a chance to taste it.  I'm happy enough with what I can readily find and will occasionally enter a lottery if it isn't too onerous.  I like a good pour like anybody else but things are sliding into insanity IMHO.  

• I like it 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:52 PM, Anwalt said:

It's all good.

Cheers!

I tried warning you lol but you’ve had fun along the way. That’s what counts.

• 7 months later...

Went to a LBS somewhat near me that I had never visited. I was picking up some pecan ale which sounded interesting and something I've never tried.  They had a well rounded whiskey selection and the pricing was in line, nothing especially high or low. The head scratcher was the always comical glass case, I LOVE these!! always some absurdly priced gems to chuckle about whilst walking to the readily available and sane aisle. This particular day caught my attention because OGD114 was behind glass!!!!! W.T.F??? Up the street this was 30 bux and 6 deep on the shelf so I asked " Is that there just to screw with the taters?". The folks behind the counter weren't the "whiskey" people so didn't understand the question. HUH moments on BOTH side of the counter that day.

• I like it 6

On 11/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Went to a LBS somewhat near me that I had never visited. I was picking up some pecan ale which sounded interesting and something I've never tried.  They had a well rounded whiskey selection and the pricing was in line, nothing especially high or low. The head scratcher was the always comical glass case, I LOVE these!! always some absurdly priced gems to chuckle about whilst walking to the readily available and sane aisle. This particular day caught my attention because OGD114 was behind glass!!!!! W.T.F??? Up the street this was 30 bux and 6 deep on the shelf so I asked " Is that there just to screw with the taters?". The folks behind the counter weren't the "whiskey" people so didn't understand the question. HUH moments on BOTH side of the counter that day.

I always find it interesting to go to a grocery store with a solid liquor selection where there are $80 to $100 bottles of bourbon but if you want a $30 bottle of Crown Royal you have to go to the service desk.

24 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I always find it interesting to go to a grocery store with a solid liquor selection where there are $80 to $100 bottles of bourbon but if you want a $30 bottle of Crown Royal you have to go to the service desk.

Crown is a REALLY high theft item at some stores, neighborhoods

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yes, I've noticed that myself.  Crown Royal, the choice of shoplifters.

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

I walked into my local today to grab a winter beer. I seldom drink beer, and I seldom frequent my local nowadays  since it changed ownership. But today I stopped through for convenience. The owner knows me, but not like the last one did. I spied a phc rye on the shelf and inquired on the price. I've been hunting it to no luck this year, so I was prepared to overpay a bit. The owner  said it was $799. So there it sits. It's a shame, used to be such a lovely place.

• I like it 5

• 4 weeks later...

Nacho Cheese Doritos flavored spirits?  No, just no.

Empirical.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, IamMatt said:

...Especially at $60!!!   Ya gatta be kiddin!    If I want that taste with my alcohol (of any sort) I can accomplish it at far less cost.

...First: I can buy a big bag of Doritos for under $5 and eat 'em with any bottom shelfer (and likely have more sensory satisfaction).   ...And second, I'd never pay 60 bux for ANY flavored GNS, which I'm sure this is.

Just because one CAN do something doesn't automatically mean one should.   

Then again, if making moolah is the only goal (likely it is here), maybe this qualifies, considering the current market where so many fools and their money are routinely parted.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Empirical.jpg

That's just gross.

• I like it 2