Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

Simple shelf space could be a factor as well, with more and more bourbons coming to market.  If a store adds two rows of new Bottle X to its shelves, it has to remove two rows of Bottle Y to make room.  Might have to compromise and have one row each of Bottle X and Bottle Y, and replenish them from the back as needed.

In both small locals and large big-box stores, I often see bottles with just one row on the shelf so they "run out" after selling 6 bottles; then they are replenished with 6 more bottles from the back, rinse and repeat.

Of course they could be just creating scarcity to increase demand. 

21 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Maybe they aren’t all winners but I’ve tried a Starlight bottle that I thought was pretty solid

Oh sure. And this one is fine just not something I would ever find and buy off shelf, but I’ll pick one up from my local. 

This stores usual M.O. with their barrel picks is to have a row or two of bottles on the shelf. The remaining bottles are usually stacked in cases on an end cap or in a large open area as you near the checkout. Sometimes they’ll even use the empty barrel as a display. They also do this with a few other products they get in large quantities. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Earlier this year I stopped at a liquor store. As I was looking over the bourbon aisle, a sales rep starting putting a few items out on the shelf. I recognized the guy and we started chatting. When I asked about anything new or different, he recommended a KC SBS picked by the store. The manager at this store picks some good barrels, so I just grabbed one and went on my way. I got home and put the bottle away in my cabinet. Fast forward a few weeks. I decided to open the KC. Upon closer inspection, this pick was barreled on 6-13-05, and bottled on 10-21-19. Cool, a 14 yr 4 month old KC. 😃 Wait a minute. Barreled on 10-21-19?  It’s 2021. These bottles have been in the system for over a year? Hmmmm. I decided to check my empties downstairs. Sure enough, I’d bought and finished one of these last year. I’ve never mentioned anything to the manager, or questioned the sales rep in the couple of times I’ve seen him since. 

I’m not sure what happened. I’m under the impression that when a store buys a barrel, they usually get the bottles from it all at one time. How did a few cases of their pick suddenly show up over a year later?  Was this an honest mistake made by the distributor? Were the cases of KC mixed up with other items destined for the store, but set aside to be doled out over time. Worse yet, was the distributor deliberately holding back bottles from the pick? 🤔 Things that make you go hmmmm. 💩

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f87718ba8f55bd9087b27ae5c88466.jpeg

Sometimes it just takes longer to sell all the bottles from a store barrel pick than you might realize! 

On 7/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, BottledInBond said:

Maybe they aren’t all winners but I’ve tried a Starlight bottle that I thought was pretty solid

Very true, but at the same time the $42 handle of WT101 will always be awesome you know?  

• I like it 3

Went out to dinner with my daughter (she’s out here visiting me for the week). Fancy bar, they actually had about a half dozen fantail bottles in their wall of booze behind the bar.  Not on the menu that I could see. I ordered the sweet tea….

3374D984-2362-4D5B-8FC1-CC2AACEBADF6.jpeg

*Meant to put this in the “What did you pass on” thread 

Edited by TehRegion219

12 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Very true, but at the same time the $42 handle of WT101 will always be awesome you know?  

Hard to argue with WT quality and value recently

• I like it 2

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

K.Y.?

Must have been designed in the U.K.

IMG_6963.jpg

It has a dripless rim.  I like it.  Never waste a drop of good whiskey!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

Never waste a drop of good whiskey!

…or even Basil Hayden Toast.

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...

I don’t live in IL, but VW/BTAC apparently hit the market this week in Chicago and the below pics are starting to get circulated. Reportedly this large grocery chain’s entire VW allocation ended up getting posted on the secondary by a manager/director (in lieu of selling bottles out of the store). If true, it’s baffling to me how this could happen on such a large scale, and absolutely disgusting.

48DF02B9-33A8-4741-9C58-458A067B8557.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

I don’t live in IL, but VW/BTAC apparently hit the market this week in Chicago and the below pics are starting to get circulated. Reportedly this large grocery chain’s entire VW allocation ended up getting posted on the secondary by a manager/director (in lieu of selling bottles out of the store). If true, it’s baffling to me how this could happen on such a large scale, and absolutely disgusting.

I hope someone sends this info to BT.  Are we allowed to out the chain here?  

Jewel does a lottery and winners are to be notified on Dec 16.  Link is jeweloscorarewhiskey.com to sign up.  

Mods if not allowed to post that info my apologies and please delete.  I figure its a public lottery for ILL residents . . .

• I like it 1

I have always suspected that the largest part of the black market (a.k.a. secondary) is stocked by individuals in the supply chain, middle men in between the distributors and potential retail customers.  Above post seems to confirm this.

Given the three tier system, BT or another distiller doesn't control the product after the distributor has purchased it.

The state excise police should care about people selling alcohol without proper license, and tax issues.  Then again, this is Chicago we're talking about, so lots of funny stuff goes on.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

Given the three tier system, BT or another distiller doesn't control the product after the distributor has purchased it.

No, but just as 4 Roses can't really do anything if someone violates their agreement not to put after market stickers on a barrel pick they certainly can decline to invite that group/store back in subsequent years.  I'd guess if BT "sanctions" the offending chain with no allocation next year this issue will never arise again, at least no on this level or this publicly.  And its not like the store has any leverage to threaten to stop stocking BT products in response.  

• I like it 1

I believe that because the retailer gets said bottles from a distributor, the proverbial horse is out of the barn at that point.  The distiller could threaten to cut off a distributor, but then not sell any product to a large area.  The LE stuff is a small portion, compared to tons of the bottom and mid shelf stuff they move.

Single barrel selections on the other hand, I can see the people at the distillery playing an active role on who and what is on offer.

Nowadays, this is probably a "Huh moment"

I've pretty much given up hunting and chasing any LEs.  But out of the blue the other day, my local LE emails and asks me if I want anything from the Fall releases. I respond back the FRLEsmB and he replies, no problem, and he might have a PVW for me too. A nice little surprise.  Ill post pics when I pick 'em up.

• I like it 4

On 5/23/2021 at 7:00 AM, geclbxf said:

I had an A119 last night, and man was it good!   

IMO the A119 is the only new bottle batch I’ve tried that has come close to how good some of the old bottle batches were.  I was very impressed with it.

• I like it 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:58 AM, 0895 said:

IMO the A119 is the only new bottle batch I’ve tried that has come close to how good some of the old bottle batches were.  I was very impressed with it.

Your post inspired me to do a revisit.

I pulled the A119 off the bar - and then had all 3 of the 2020 poured as well.   Did a blind SBS.

the A119 was the landslide winner for all 3 of us.   Cheers!

• I like it 5

On 12/10/2021 at 7:59 AM, DeepCover said:

Instead of focusing so much on post-retail counterfeits, maybe BT/Sazerac should pay more attention to something they can actually exert more of their own influence and leverage upon, which are the dirty middle tiers (wholesalers and sketchy retailers).  Just a thought.

Edited by Kepler
typo
  • I like it 4

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Instead of focusing so much on post-retail counterfeits, maybe BT/Sazerac should pay more attention to something they can actually exert more of their own influence and leverage upon, which are the dirty middle tiers (wholesalers and sketchy retailers).  Just a thought.

I'm guessing that, at secondary prices, the bottles on that table could fetch ~$75,000.  I'm not condoning it but I can see how that would be tempting..

I don’t live in IL, but VW/BTAC apparently hit the market this week in Chicago and the below pics are starting to get circulated. Reportedly this large grocery chain’s entire VW allocation ended up getting posted on the secondary by a manager/director (in lieu of selling bottles out of the store). If true, it’s baffling to me how this could happen on such a large scale, and absolutely disgusting.

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

I'm guessing that, at secondary prices, the bottles on that table could fetch ~$75,000.  I'm not condoning it but I can see how that would be tempting..

I reached out to BT concerning this. I received a reply back from them fairly quickly. Their reply: We are aware and taking action BUT thank you for letting us know.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

53 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I don’t live in IL, but VW/BTAC apparently hit the market this week in Chicago and the below pics are starting to get circulated. Reportedly this large grocery chain’s entire VW allocation ended up getting posted on the secondary by a manager/director (in lieu of selling bottles out of the store). If true, it’s baffling to me how this could happen on such a large scale, and absolutely disgusting.

I reached out to BT concerning this. I received a reply back from them fairly quickly. Their reply: We are aware and taking action BUT thank you for letting us know.

Biba! Joe

If true, I believe the ramifications should be more significant than being cut off by BT.  I would think selling alcohol on the secondary market would potential jeopardize this grocery chain's liquor license at all stores within the chain.  They could also be subject to a significant civil penalty that could exceed the return realized by selling on the secondary market.

This said, I wonder if it is really true.  

• I like it 5

• 1 month later...

And we're back... Was at the local today to by a bottle of rittenhouse when I overheard one customer explaining to another that a bottle of builliet bourbon was stitzel Weller distillate. I was stupid and offered my thoughts. Needless to say I was unable to explain to her the difference between diagio's distillery and the historical stitzel Weller. Nor was she able to hear things like contract distillation and sourcing exist. It was quite unpleasant having to walk away with her still telling the other lady about it. I hope she enjoys her pappy... I got my rittenhouse on sale though, so there is an upside.

• I like it 5

5 minutes ago, Mattk said:

And we're back... Was at the local today to by a bottle of rittenhouse when I overheard one customer explaining to another that a bottle of builliet bourbon was stitzel Weller distillate. I was stupid and offered my thoughts. Needless to say I was unable to explain to her the difference between diagio's distillery and the historical stitzel Weller. Nor was she able to hear things like contract distillation and sourcing exist. It was quite unpleasant having to walk away with her still telling the other lady about it. I hope she enjoys her pappy... I got my rittenhouse on sale though, so there is an upside.

Did you tell her that much of what's in Bulleit these days is Four Roses? I can see her head exploding.

• I like it 3