Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

Mostly a distribution huh, but here it goes. My local promised me a couple of the jdsibbp ryes. Which I've had the darndest time getting a hold of. This store is solid, and does me right. But today I was informed my bottles were reported as delivered, but had not actually made it to the store. Both me and my friend are disappointed by this news. Seems like stuff in Maryland is getting misdelivered more often around here. Guess I'm going out late in the game looking for a limited release rye in the general population, wish me luck.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Mostly a distribution huh, but here it goes. My local promised me a couple of the jdsibbp ryes. Which I've had the darndest time getting a hold of. This store is solid, and does me right. But today I was informed my bottles were reported as delivered, but had not actually made it to the store. Both me and my friend are disappointed by this news. Seems like stuff in Maryland is getting misdelivered more often around here. Guess I'm going out late in the game looking for a limited release rye in the general population, wish me luck.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. 

Maryland's distributorship is all kinds of messed  up.  It's the good ole boy system in full force. I have a friend who owns a liquor store, in Catonsville, and she's always dealing with that kind of crap...

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Amended spelling...guess there's no profanity filter😁
  • I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Mattk said:

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That doesn't surprise me in the least. 

Maryland's distributorship is all kinds of messed  up.  It's the good ole boy system in full force. I have a friend who owns a liquor store, in Catonsville, and she's always dealing with that kind of crap...

Here in Illinois, this type of thing started happening when the demand  for Pappy, BTAC, etc... first started to explode. It’s referred to as the “must have fallen off the truck” syndrome. 🤬

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 5

19 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Here in Illinois, this type of thing started happening when the demand  for Pappy, BTAC, etc... first started to explode. It’s referred to as the “must have fallen off the truck” syndrome. 🤬

Biba! Joe 

It's pathetic.

I really,  really loathe the distribution system. It's a joke and muscles out the smaller liquor stores. You shouldn't have to "know somebody" to have a crack at a bottle of whiskey.

• I like it 3

In my earlier post, I was semi-serious about what I posted. More than once I visited a store only to be told that something was invoiced and supposedly sent, but wasn’t on the truck. Here’s what actually happened on one occasion.The manager said that what we (Vosgar and I) drove an hour and a half to purchase, came in and was in the back. He then went in the back and returned with paperwork in hand, but no bottle(s). He scratched his head, gave a quizzical look and said, “It says right here on the invoice it was on our order today. Hmmm. Musta fallen off the truck.”            🐎 💩That was the beginning of the end of our relationship with that store. 

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 3

39 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

In my earlier post, I was semi-serious about what I posted. More than once I visited a store only to be told that something was invoiced and supposedly sent, but wasn’t on the truck. Here’s what actually happened on one occasion.The manager said that what we (Vosgar and I) drove an hour and a half to purchase, came in and was in the back. He then went in the back and returned with paperwork in hand, but no bottle(s). He scratched his head, gave a quizzical look and said, “It says right here on the invoice it was on our order today. Hmmm. Musta fallen off the truck.”            🐎 💩That was the beginning of the end of our relationship with that store. 

Biba! Joe 

Yeah. Not the way this one went... I know his dogs names, bring them treats, my daughter gets free sodas.  The insider action normally goes my way. This particular instance is indeed very strange. The jdsibbp rye must just be that good that long-standing relations are getting burned over it. Or a driver is going to get his.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, parksmart said:

1792 12 year for $199.97........😒

Wut?!?!?

9 hours ago, parksmart said:

1792 12 year for $199.97........😒

Sounds like Jackson's pricing to me... 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two things I forgot to tell about my last visit to TW -

All the prices of items I'm familiar with seemed normal, except they wanted $35 for a 750ml of Jim Beam Repeal Batch.  That's like 3x normal price.  I mean it's usually like a $12 - $15 bottle.

Most of you probably know they have a huge beer selection.  I overheard a customer very concerned.  He was asking an employee help to find Miller Lite. 🤣🤣🤣

All that good beer, and some one chooses that metallic tasting carbonated water garbage.  It's probably the worst beer in my opinion.

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, steven s said:

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

Drinking several pours tonight of Rare Breed Rye and still cannot comprehend those prices.

9 hours ago, steven s said:

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

That is Bizarro World on all those. At least I'd know never to shop there again.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

I'm sucker.  I'd do that for the rebel yell since that brand has gone away.

Has anyone seen a bottle of the 10 year single barrel since they dropped the "Yell" from their name?

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Has anyone seen a bottle of the 10 year single barrel since they dropped the "Yell" from their name?

Good point.

No.

23 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Good point.

No.

Ditto. 🤔

On 3/31/2021 at 11:55 PM, BlueMonk said:

Drinking several pours tonight of Rare Breed Rye and still cannot comprehend those prices.

I’m really liking the WT RBR. It’s now a mainstay on my shelf.

• I like it 1

I saw a bottle of Blanton's on the shelf for $85.00. I like Blanton's.... but not that much! Is that the going price these days?

1 hour ago, ebo said:

I saw a bottle of Blanton's on the shelf for $85.00. I like Blanton's.... but not that much! Is that the going price these days?

Not around here - still $54.99 last month for "regular" Blanton's (so far).   😊

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, ebo said:

That’s the “cheap” expensive price Eric. Only a couple of stores anywhere near me sell Blanton’s at close to retail price.That’s if and when they get any in. It’s been a while since I’ve actually seen any Blanton’s at these stores. The last time I saw any at the good stores, the price varied from $69.99-$74.99. I bought  one a year or so ago that cost me $72.99. I could get a bottle of Blanton’s right now if I really wanted one, and price wasn’t an issue. A couple of tater stores have it for $189.99. They also have Weller SR for $79.99. 🤡 🥔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

That's too much for me...lol. I like Blanton's, but it isn't all that special, IMO.

I really enjoy a good barrel of Blanton's.  But my last bottle came from a barrel that was nothing special and was in fact not very well balanced like most Blanton's (too much oak funk). Never thought I'd see the day that Blanton's could not be described as "balanced."

Now the scarcity/tater behavior just to find a bottle, combined with this uneven single barrel selection that seems to have become an issue in the past couple of years, makes me less inclined to pull the trigger the next time one becomesa available - even at msrp. 

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I really enjoy a good barrel of Blanton's.  But my last bottle came from a barrel that was nothing special and was in fact not very well balanced like most Blanton's (too much oak funk). Never thought I'd see the day that Blanton's could not be described as "balanced."

Now the scarcity/tater behavior just to find a bottle, combined with this uneven single barrel selection that seems to have become an issue in the past couple of years, makes me less inclined to pull the trigger the next time one becomes a available - even at msrp. 

I am on my last bottle of Blanton's which truthfully I rarely touch since I have family and friends who really enjoy it or enjoy the concept since it is more difficult to get.  I always liked it but similar to your experience I found the last few bottles to be more astringent and out of balance.  One was even a barrel pick from a highly respected retailer.  I just couldn't find a happy spot.  I chalk it up to releasing more bottles for the brand just to meet demand.  

I know Kroger, Meijer and Costco get it in occasionally but it is a timing thing.  You have to be there when it hits the shelf.  I would probably grab one for $60 or less just to have one in the bunker.  However, my expectations are lower than they used to be for this once stellar brand.

22 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am on my last bottle of Blanton's which truthfully I rarely touch since I have family and friends who really enjoy it or enjoy the concept since it is more difficult to get.  I always liked it but similar to your experience I found the last few bottles to be more astringent and out of balance.  One was even a barrel pick from a highly respected retailer.  I just couldn't find a happy spot.  I chalk it up to releasing more bottles for the brand just to meet demand.  

I know Kroger, Meijer and Costco get it in occasionally but it is a timing thing.  You have to be there when it hits the shelf.  I would probably grab one for $60 or less just to have one in the bunker.  However, my expectations are lower than they used to be for this once stellar brand.

Well put.