What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

3 hours ago, sailor22 said:

This is from a week or so ago - just getting around to posting it.

Sipping a new arrival with the always insightful Rick Kingsley.. Thanks for your contribution Rick.
A bottling of Bielle Agricole 14yr juice by Tres Hombres. A single barrel, one of 6 aged in American Oak yielding a total of 1610 bottles at 44%. Retail is something near 64 Euro. Doesn't say if it's filtered or not but shows plenty of white fatty floaters so my guess is it isn't.
A cool presentation with a rustic label and details printed on both sides of the label so you have to read through the juice, fun if a little challenging for these old eyes.
The slight and not particularly complex or engaging nose shows the expected earthy and vegital notes and perhaps a sprinkle of cardamom.
A pleasant and easily approachable palate with subtle lemon grass and green apple against a very subtle sweetness. Nice mouth feel but almost too polite.
The finish is the best part of this dram with lingering sweet and earthy balance that plays against some heat. Very nice.
As bottled a soft enjoyable easy drinker with a very good lingering finish. Would love to sample this at a more robust proof.
We agreed we were left with a rum that's too subtle to be a distinctive cocktail ingredient and not engaging enough to be an impressive sipper. Call it a somewhat pricey easy drinker for that odd day you crave something neither too sweet or challenging.

We agreed we were left with a rum that's too subtle to be a distinctive cocktail ingredient and not engaging enough to be an impressive sipper. Call it a somewhat pricey easy drinker for that odd day you crave something neither too sweet or challenging.

Tres Hombres VIII Bielle.jpg

Thanks for the notes, Steve! And great picture as always. It's interesting to ponder how proof is chosen for a given release. I'd like to think they tried the product at many different proofs and chose the one that tasted best (and some producers do this), but in reality it is probably more of a cost equation. Hard to imagine 88 proof was the winner in a blind SBS with the same product at higher proofs.

40 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Thanks for the notes, Steve! And great picture as always. It's interesting to ponder how proof is chosen for a given release. I'd like to think they tried the product at many different proofs and chose the one that tasted best (and some producers do this), but in reality it is probably more of a cost equation. Hard to imagine 88 proof was the winner in a blind SBS with the same product at higher proofs.

I don't know anything about this Bottler but I wish some of the ones that bottle great barrels didn't stick to the same proof for so many releases, culprits like Berry's at 46%, Mezan at 40%, Samaroli super expensive and 90 proof. 

5 hours ago, sailor22 said:

A light multi column still product in the Cuban style currently distilled in PR. The slight raisin note you get is from macerated prunes infused post distillation. Similar to the way Gin is made. Because very little if any sugar is added the flavors are a bit more distinct than many of the sugar bomb lighter rums.

Great info, thanks!

I've been getting to know the Plantation OFTG and found a sweet spot where it really shines (for me) at 115-120 proof.

I've also found that a 50/50 vatting with WSR is a mistake worth making again!  :lol:

38 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I've been getting to know the Plantation OFTG and found a sweet spot where it really shines (for me) at 115-120 proof.

I've also found that a 50/50 vatting with WSR is a mistake worth making again!  :lol:

Ha!  Bourbon makes everything better!  

I tasted this from a small sample bottle prior to purchase, and am please tonight to find my actual bottle even tastier. Splendid mouthfeel.

penny_blue.thumb.jpg.2441351b01c75adfa0cd8b70a7292dfe.jpg

I bought some Plantation OFTD today... acquired it for cocktails, but tried it straight.  It smells like banana bread and tastes like allspice and cinnamon.  It is vey promising. 

15 hours ago, Bullseye said:

I bought some Plantation OFTD today... acquired it for cocktails, but tried it straight.  It smells like banana bread and tastes like allspice and cinnamon.  It is vey promising. 

Dang, that does sound good!  

Switching up from Bourbon to a small pour of this bad boy right here 

unnamed-5.thumb.jpg.16fc6172e68ea43428df3d8cc5e55c4d.jpg

23 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Switching up from Bourbon to a small pour of this bad boy right here 

unnamed-5.thumb.jpg.16fc6172e68ea43428df3d8cc5e55c4d.jpg

Have not had that one, how much does the wine finish come through?

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Have not had that one, how much does the wine finish come through?

Delicate and subtle. Extremely well balanced.

I bought this bottle based off the reviews and my past experience with Foursquare, however, I was slightly skeptical how the Zinfandel barrel finish would alter things, good or bad. Very nice overall. Hint of florals on the taste accompanied by oak and some spice on the follow through.

I would buy more if I could find em.

1 minute ago, Government Beard said:

Delicate and subtle. Extremely well balanced.

I bought this bottle based off the reviews and my past experience with Foursquare, however, I was slightly skeptical how the Zinfandel barrel finish would alter things, good or bad. Very nice overall. Hint of florals on the taste accompanied by oak and some spice on the follow through.

I would buy more if I could find em.

Nice thanks for the notes, I like the port barrel quite a bit and the proof is lower on that one IIRC, I did find that over time the port became less and less prominent. 

Just now, kevinbrink said:

Nice thanks for the notes, I like the port barrel quite a bit and the proof is lower on that one IIRC, I did find that over time the port became less and less prominent. 

No prob.

I have the Port in the bunker that I am looking forward to opening. Had a taste at a bar a little while back and had to pick up a bottle. Love the wax seal. 

Interesting the port shines less as you worked through the bottle.

1 minute ago, Government Beard said:

No prob.

I have the Port in the bunker that I am looking forward to opening. Had a taste at a bar a little while back and had to pick up a bottle. Love the wax seal. 

Interesting the port shines less as you worked through the bottle.

Stays on the sweeter side of Foursquare's I've had, but gets less jammy, remains a solid pour though and for the proof it is really flavorful. I prefer it to say Seale's 10, Doorly's 12, Doorly's XO and Real McCoy 12 and it's right on par with the Real McCoy LE from last year.

Just now, kevinbrink said:

Stays on the sweeter side of Foursquare's I've had, but gets less jammy, remains a solid pour though and for the proof it is really flavorful. I prefer it to say Seale's 10, Doorly's 12, Doorly's XO and Real McCoy 12 and it's right on par with the Real McCoy LE from last year.

That's pretty interesting since I was considering expanding my bourbon horizons by picking up the McCoy 12 which I think is $39.99 locally. 

Just checked the proofs - Zinfandel bottle is 86 proof. Port bottle is 80 proof.

3 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

That's pretty interesting since I was considering expanding my bourbon horizons by picking up the McCoy 12 which I think is $39.99 locally. 

Just checked the proofs - Zinfandel bottle is 86 proof. Port bottle is 80 proof.

I don't find it to be a great value compared to Seale's 10 or Doorly's 12, I've read that it is only Bourbon cask maturation but unfortunately unlike other Seale's/Foursquare products contains E150 caramel coloring, probably won't buy it again. If I lived in a state without a Total Wine I probably would feel differently. 

unfortunately unlike other Seale's/Foursquare products contains E150 caramel coloring, probably won't buy it again.

Port doesn't have e150 - I asked foursquare:

17 minutes ago, n811 said:

That's disappointing.

Thanks for the info - disappointing indeed. I don’t mind coloring as much as flavoring or sugar, but it’s weird they are so vocally anti-flavoring/sugaring but they add coloring.

13 hours ago, n811 said:

Another good reason not to cut anything below at least 100 proof. Just say no to adding water or coloring!

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Another good reason not to cut anything below at least 100 proof. Just say no to adding water or coloring!

I quite like the Port finish, I can't imagine how good it might be at 100 proof!

I'm mostly surprised they have no qualms about revealing their entire e150 practice & policy in response to a twitter post. At least that's something.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I'm mostly surprised they have no qualms about revealing their entire e150 practice & policy in response to a twitter post. At least that's something.

True. The transparency is much appreciated even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. I imagine the coloring policy applies to the Doorly and Seale product lines as well.

If the port-finished doesn't have coloring, imagine how dark it would have been at CS!

Just opened a bottle of Hamilton Saint Lucia Pot Still 9yo I picked up a couple months ago after a local store re-stocked. It’s a funky one! I’ve read that St Lucia Distillers won’t be selling any stock to independent bottlers in the near future, so if there are any SLD bottles you’ve been eying, now’s the time to buy!

e690f694537a2a0e5029c903d4b91ca6.jpg

10 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Just opened a bottle of Hamilton Saint Lucia Pot Still 9yo I picked up a couple months ago after a local store re-stocked. It’s a funky one! I’ve read that St Lucia Distillers won’t be selling any stock to independent bottlers in the near future, so if there are any SLD bottles you’ve been eying, now’s the time to buy!

e690f694537a2a0e5029c903d4b91ca6.jpg

That would be bad, probably my favorite Rum at the moment, maybe the Stolen Overproof but it's close either way.