What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

I gotta say I like the 21 A WHOLE LOT more, there is no comparison. Which is good since it is cheaper and available. Will be getting one. In general Appleton is my favorite rum maker for sure, but gotta crack open my Foursquares at some point.

Edited by Kane

52 minutes ago, Kane said:

Appleton Joy and 21 SBS. First time trying these, exciting times.

IMG_20171108_201505.jpg

Cheers to that, I'll be in NH this weekend let me know when I can make a right hand turn to meet you for a couple belts of these! 

After being influenced by Paul and Bruce's ravings and sometimes rants about rum in this section, I decided to venture more into the world of rum recently. There is no Four Square to be found in my area, but Paul gave me some other suggestions and some to steer clear of. Of course Paul told me to steer clear of one of his recommendations because he felt that it might be too "different" for my palate. This was because SmokinJoe and I didn't much care for one of Paul's rum offerings at the Sampler last April. Actually, I think Joe almost gagged, and I just wasn't impressed. Anyway, the curious monkey in me had to buy a bottle of Smith & Cross when I found it, and I must say that I really like it. I also opened a Rhum Barbancourt 8yr this evening and liked it as well. I'm finishing my rum libations this evening with one I've had a while, that I don't think Paul or Bruce have tried (I know it's hard to believe)...Prichard's Private Stock Rum, which is only available at the distillery, and is still one of my favorites. I promise to bring my bottle to the April Sampler for y'all to try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

That Prichard's Private stock is an interesting rum - lots of drying wood and some sweet. Your right it flies under the radar but is a worthy pour.

Edited by sailor22
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Cheers to that, I'll be in NH this weekend let me know when I can make a right hand turn to meet you for a couple belts of these! 

Darn it, I am flying to CA in a couple of hours. But PM me if you need tips on finding anything to drink/purchase around Boston.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Darn it, I am flying to CA in a couple of hours. But PM me if you need tips on finding anything to drink/purchase around Boston.

Thanks, was really joking, but the same offer to you if you find yourself in NJ or NYC.

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Now you break my heart...

In fairness it would be a pretty big right turn ;)

A healthy pour of Richland Rum Single Estate Old Georgia Rum while watching The Voice with Mrssmokinjoe.  This bottle is much darker and is better all around than a bottle from a couple years ago.  Nice vanilla, oak, and a strand of cut pine throughout.  Almost rye-ish in its presentation.  In the end, it's better than "OK".  In fact, it's "Good".  But, the best part is that this Rum continues to improve.  

IMG_4317.JPG

Sampled the Privateer rums in a LS the other day. Had the Amber, Navy Yard, and Queen's Share. To my surprise, all were pretty good, suitably dry and natural tasting. They were also handing out free distillery tour codes, will be doing that soon.

Broke open a bottle of FourSquare Port Cask Finish that I purchased this evening. This is a very nice Rum with a wonderful rich flavor. I wish it was a bit higher proof, but it's still very nice. I bought two bottles, but I'm seriously thinking about picking up a third bottle. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spending this afternoon with an old friend, the affable Mr. Doorly.
5a1c80960ff7a_doorlys1.thumb.jpg.73f1c43373d4ad491ced61d028ca7398.jpg

That’s another that I’ve never seen on the shelf. I’m sure it’s tasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That’s another that I’ve never seen on the shelf. I’m sure it’s tasty!

Well if you find yourself in Kentucky (or any other state that has one) it's a great value that is unfortunately a Total Wine exclusive in the states.  

Well if you find yourself in Kentucky (or any other state that has one) it's a great value that is unfortunately a Total Wine exclusive in the states.  

Looks like I’ll be checking out Total Wine the next time I’m in Kentucky.

On a mission to finish some low fill bottles this weekend. Off to a delicious start! 
C-J-2.thumb.jpg.c288af2a678e20ec0bbc7e99490c95e6.jpg

That looks tasty!

On a mission to finish some low fill bottles this weekend. Off to a delicious start! 
C-J-2.thumb.jpg.c288af2a678e20ec0bbc7e99490c95e6.jpg

What a color on that rum! How’s the funk level?

I have a bottle of this (though could be different batch) I picked up a year or so ago, and I think it was sitting on the shelf for a pretty long time.

I finally got around to opening one of the bottles of FourSquare 2004 that I purchased a few weeks ago. OMG, this is fantastic rum! I may have to see if the store I bought these from has any more in stock and stop by next week and pick up some more. I'm now officially a FourSquare fan boy!

c567cf77c84a45b67e257b2b8b6dd010.jpg

What a color on that rum! How’s the funk level?

yeah it was really dark.  remarkably low on the funk scale, a vanilla and caramel bomb.  

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I finally got around to opening one of the bottles of FourSquare 2004 that I purchased a few weeks ago. OMG, this is fantastic rum! I may have to see if the store I bought these from has any more in stock and stop by next week and pick up some more. I'm now officially a FourSquare fan boy!

I've got that Appleton Estate Extra like yours on the side there.  How does that compare with the Foursquare.

Started today with Plantation 15 year red pineau single cask offering,. Really enjoyable. Had a little Mount Gay XO then moved to bourbon to finish the night.

I've got that Appleton Estate Extra like yours on the side there.  How does that compare with the Foursquare.

Well the Foursquare 2004 is cask strength at 118 proof and the Appleton is 86 proof, so that's a big difference even though the Foursquare doesn't taste like it's that high in proof. They are both about the same age, but the Foursquare actually tastes like it's aged longer. The Appleton is very good rum, but the Foursquare is just better to me. I'm not very good at describing taste and nose, so I'll skip any attempt at that. Where the Appleton does have an edge though is that it is generally much cheaper than the Foursquare 2004. The Foursquare Port Cask Finish that is also in the picture is probably more comparable to the Appleton without the port finish of course, and both are similarly priced.

• I like it 1

On 12/2/2017 at 9:46 AM, lcpfratn said:

I opened the same last night after buying a few yesterday, you're one hundred percent right, this is great stuff. I got both of the remaining bottles my store had but another branch still has several so I may be getting another very, very soon.

• I like it 1

This one is much more intense than I was expecting, wish it wasn't the last one on the shelf, might have to search out a back up!

IMG_20171207_221111020.jpg