Jump to content
bdrinker

What rum are you drinking today?

Recommended Posts

Kepler

I'll be having some straight bourbon later this evening to commemorate Independence Day.

But for now on this hot summer afternoon I decided to open this. 

20200704_152514.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nomad
On 6/21/2020 at 8:01 PM, JCwhammie said:

This is absolutely outstanding. 

20200621_195749.jpg

Best rum I have opened in years; probably since Criterion. Absolutely fabulous!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nomad
18 hours ago, Kane said:

Unfortunately this is not coming back.
 

4522F831-C758-4F4D-82C2-B166439981B2.jpeg

One of the greats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nomad
2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'll be having some straight bourbon later this evening to commemorate Independence Day.

But for now on this hot summer afternoon I decided to open this. 

20200704_152514.jpg

Lovely and very different from it's successors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
3 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'll be having some straight bourbon later this evening to commemorate Independence Day.

But for now on this hot summer afternoon I decided to open this. 

20200704_152514.jpg

Talk to me. 2 bottles of this are sitting at my local. Why should I buy this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, flahute said:

Talk to me. 2 bottles of this are sitting at my local. Why should I buy this?

Because it’s really good, reasonably priced, unadulterated rum aged for 11 years in ex bourbon casks. What’s not to like?

 

Oh, I forgot to mention that it’s also bottled at cask strength!

Edited by lcpfratn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
3 hours ago, flahute said:

Talk to me. 2 bottles of this are sitting at my local. Why should I buy this?

I guess listen to lcpfratn?  I enjoyed it but Im also no rum expert. It's the first Foursquare I've tried.  Curiosity is why I bought this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
10 hours ago, flahute said:

Talk to me. 2 bottles of this are sitting at my local. Why should I buy this?

I think you just made history trying to justify a Foursquare purchase. Just go with it, here I’ll open mine tonight. I’m already having anxiety periods because this is my last one. 
 

AD8326CB-E1B5-4A34-B58C-03F6589BDFCC.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
4 hours ago, Kane said:

I think you just made history trying to justify a Foursquare purchase. Just go with it, here I’ll open mine tonight. I’m already having anxiety periods because this is my last one. 
 

AD8326CB-E1B5-4A34-B58C-03F6589BDFCC.jpeg

LOL! I realize this is one of the great rums. I've just never been a rum guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
16 hours ago, flahute said:

Talk to me. 2 bottles of this are sitting at my local. Why should I buy this?

There is really only one right answer.  And that is, because I have one.  As your brother, I would not steer you wrong.  😁

 

Of course, as you can tell, have is going to be had after the next pour...  😊

FE6B208A-3041-44F7-8A6C-23E289E2DB5F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

There is really only one right answer.  And that is, because I have one.  As your brother, I would not steer you wrong.  😁

 

Of course, as you can tell, have is going to be had after the next pour...  😊

FE6B208A-3041-44F7-8A6C-23E289E2DB5F.jpeg

Well this seals the deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
On 7/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, smokinjoe said:

There is really only one right answer.  And that is, because I have one.  As your brother, I would not steer you wrong.  😁

 

Of course, as you can tell, have is going to be had after the next pour...  😊

FE6B208A-3041-44F7-8A6C-23E289E2DB5F.jpeg

I almost thought this post was a joke lol.  Anything Foursquare is good typically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8
On 7/3/2020 at 3:59 PM, PaulO said:

I tried to look up "palm test" to check for sugar.

I couldn't find it.

 

Ed Hamilton showed me his field test… pour a bit of the rum in question on the palm of one hand and rub your hands together quickly. As the alcohol evaporates… if your hands start sticking together, there's sugar present. If it dries (like rubbing alcohol would) without friction… it's clean.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
54 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

 

Ed Hamilton showed me his field test… pour a bit of the rum in question on the palm of one hand and rub your hands together quickly. As the alcohol evaporates… if your hands start sticking together, there's sugar present. If it dries (like rubbing alcohol would) without friction… it's clean.

This is brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

Keeping the Foursquare ball rolling…

 

IMG_4723.thumb.jpg.3b2a4c379f88675d3eaebaf3d685206a.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit

Can I quarantine in Marekv8s spirit room.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Can I quarantine in Marekv8s spirit room.

The line’s back yonder...  😆

8A02D788-C3D0-4CF4-A049-9D8C440349E2.jpeg

  • I like it 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 8:47 AM, Marekv8 said:

Keeping the Foursquare ball rolling…

 

IMG_4723.thumb.jpg.3b2a4c379f88675d3eaebaf3d685206a.jpg

A European import I believe. Did you have to quarantine it for 2 weeks? 😷

 

Oh, and how was it? Did you give it a run against Empery or Premise? Empery at similar age and higher proof would be a closer comparison I suppose.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8
5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Can I quarantine in Marekv8s spirit room.

 

Certainly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
21 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

Certainly.

Thanks, will be there in a jiffy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

I didn’t like this at first, but in the end a grand total of 2oz went into a cocktail and the rest was sipped. Empty shelf space will be filled with a Smith & Cross shortly. 

B31E4E98-6562-4CDE-8878-F5E181BD1B22.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
55 minutes ago, Kane said:

I didn’t like this at first, but in the end a grand total of 2oz went into a cocktail and the rest was sipped. Empty shelf space will be filled with a Smith & Cross shortly. 

B31E4E98-6562-4CDE-8878-F5E181BD1B22.jpeg

Every palate is different I suppose. Both work well in the right application in a cocktail but on its own I would prefer OFTD to S&C most every time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb

I'm looking at picking up a bottle of OFTD soon as I believe it's the only Plantation offering without "dosage".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

Found this guy hiding in my closet. 

BA4D8C55-DAED-41E7-B936-CDCEF52D07C8.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
Posted (edited)

Okay first sip and I’m already beating myself for not grabbing more when this was sitting on the shelf for months. Should’ve cracked this open earlier. There’s some curious sweet & sour tropical flavors going on that I can’t quite put my finger on. Even the funk is taking a backseat to that, a very unusual rum to my palate. Needs further analysis. 
 

 

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.