What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

I really liked the Criterion, Very rich and chewy. With a drop or two of water smooth as silk

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Detente and some roasted peanuts (1 for me and 10 for the chipmunks on the latter) yesterday afternoon...Worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon.

4F3DFC32-B754-4188-BC1C-550192195099.jpeg

• I like it 5

• 2 weeks later...

Popped open my Barrel B905 bottle.  Oh.  My.  If you've passed on a Barrel rum before, please find some place to sample and reconsider.  For "only" 122 proof, there's a serious bite here.  Not the cheapest bottle I've got, but worth it!  The B90 means this is 90% Barbados rum, but while it's darn near all Foursquare, this doesn't taste like one.

Edited by Ravensfire
  • I like it 1

On 7/15/2020 at 11:46 AM, PhantomLamb said:

I'm looking at picking up a bottle of OFTD soon as I believe it's the only Plantation offering without "dosage".

It has sugar, but not a lot. And it's got a nice flavor if downproofed properly. 

There's nothing wrong with splashing water into this one and enjoying a very nicely blended affordable and available dark rum. Or using it in a cocktail recipe that calls for dark rum.

It isn't anyone's monster bottle. Think of it as the rum equivalent of a nice bottle of Jim Beam Black that you can proof to your liking.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

It has sugar, but not a lot. And it's got a nice flavor if downproofed properly. 

There's nothing wrong with splashing water into this one and enjoying a very nicely blended affordable and available dark rum. Or using it in a cocktail recipe that calls for dark rum.

It isn't anyone's monster bottle. Think of it as the rum equivalent of a nice bottle of Jim Beam Black that you can proof to your liking.

Exactly.  You know from our conversations that we don't have much available here in PA, but been enjoying this one straight proofed down a bit.  Will be starting my rum budget soon, will keep you posted!

• I like it 1

^^^^I echo Paul.

Pwesonally, I find it enjoyable with a cube dropped in.  There’s nothing amazing about it, but it holds up very well and certainly makes one hell of an addition toward a cocktail.  

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 1

I read somewhere (can’t remember where now!) that Plantation Xaymaca is one of the few (maybe only?) Plantation rums without dosage/sugar added. It is labeled as a “special dry” for that reason and supposedly is a response to the criticism they have gotten for us sing d out sage.

Found it on the rum pirate blog

Take it for what you will!

10 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I read somewhere (can’t remember where now!) that Plantation Xaymaca is one of the few (maybe only?) Plantation rums without dosage/sugar added. It is labeled as a “special dry” for that reason and supposedly is a response to the criticism they have gotten for us sing d out sage.

Found it on the rum pirate blog

Take it for what you will!

I read that too.  Have you tried it?  

1 minute ago, PhantomLamb said:

I read that too.  Have you tried it?  

Yes. It is ok but hardly the funkiest Jamaican rum I ever head. Pretty good for cocktail use though.

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes. It is ok but hardly the funkiest Jamaican rum I ever head. Pretty good for cocktail use though.

Glad to know, I think I can get a bottle of it here as a "special order".

• 2 weeks later...

The wooden box is certainly apropos-- this is not for the feint of oak (but I quite like it). Extremely viscous and spicy-- with an odd dead spot in the middle of the delivery, akin to a Bosch 009 distributor in an aircooled VW engine.

IMG_5709.thumb.jpg.c6875e530d24fadf3d50e42184c9673d.jpg

• I like it 2

Another obscure rum with very few details… shame about the 40% ABV. Enjoyable but not remarkable.

IMG_5699.thumb.jpg.f3ce1d69a9f66c54d2ea8a5c67feae98.jpg

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

The wooden box is certainly apropos-- this is not for the feint of oak (but I quite like it). Extremely viscous and spicy-- with an odd dead spot in the middle of the delivery, akin to a Bosch 009 distributor in an aircooled VW engine.

IMG_5709.thumb.jpg.c6875e530d24fadf3d50e42184c9673d.jpg

Or turbo lag... ?

• I like it 1

On 12/26/2020 at 12:20 PM, Marekv8 said:

Another obscure rum with very few details… shame about the 40% ABV. Enjoyable but not remarkable.

IMG_5699.thumb.jpg.f3ce1d69a9f66c54d2ea8a5c67feae98.jpg

Brand has been around a few years but never seen a “30” yo version. Really only one major distillery in Panama where multiple brands originate. The distiller reportedly was a distiller in Cuba before coming to Panama. If it is really 30yo I would be amazed. Maybe a teaspoon or two of it is...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally opened my Panama Pacific 9 yr tonight while watching Ravens v Bills. 

I don’t believe there is sugar added but this is vanilla thru and thru. A little lightly colored for 9 years but I’m impressed.

I passed on the 23 year because I’ve heard it isn’t much different from what I have.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:12 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Finally opened my Panama Pacific 9 yr tonight while watching Ravens v Bills. 

I don’t believe there is sugar added but this is vanilla thru and thru. A little lightly colored for 9 years but I’m impressed.

I passed on the 23 year because I’ve heard it isn’t much different from what I have.

I prefer the 9 year every time I SBS the two. The 9 is great stuff at the 30-35$ price point 

The 27yr. Hampden finally arrived...dear lord, what a lovely mess of a rum this is.

Nose: rubber cement, paint thinner, resin that my little brother uses in his 3D-printer lol, and UV rays (I worked at my dad's print shop at age 13 up and when using UV to dry the dyes on screens, it emitted a weird chemically smell).

Taste: Layers upon layers of stuff.  Started with:

1. Straight alcohol burn, even when proofed down with water, maybe I should've added more.

2. Banana fruit smoothie.

3. Peat and smoke.

4. Cinnamon finish.

Later on turned into:

1. Whiskey sours mix.

2. Banana daiquiri.

3. Vanilla.

4. Layer #2 of vanilla.

Finish: Loooooooooonnnnnnnggg and glorious.  Started with cinnamon and turned to vanilla as it got more air time.  

This is unlike anything I've ever had and I agree with the KL reviews, not for the "faint of heart".  Heck, the nose alone stinks up an entire room but this is like liquid history, absolutely wonderful.  Big thanks to @The Black Tot for turning me on to this!

B6964A08-26F0-4652-9DB2-1B4019FE03C6.jfif

Edited by PhantomLamb
  • I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely delicate with an outstanding finish. Seems the alcohol is only a vehicle to keep this in liquid form; interesting.

IMG_5822.thumb.jpg.b3624caeec54e33f45b4e4ac493359c2.jpg

• I like it 2

So I am off of work til the next project in maybe a few weeks and today I was cooking (navy beans with tasso) and decided that I had quite the backlog of unopened bottles of rums, so I opened 3. Short reviews-
Saint Benevolence- which is actually a rum-like spirit (clairin)
"Every sip of Saint Benevolence rum directly funds life-changing medical services, educational programs and economic developments benefitting the people and local communities of Northern Haiti" so it's for a good cause as well.
Seawater, greens olives, old bananas, white pepper, new grass. A touch hot, but still smooth and rounded. Very enjoyable.
Habitation Velier Herr Savanna White- Bubble gum(!) mint, citrus starburst, seawater, camphor if you remember that. Sounds like a train wreck, but it's actually quite refreshing. Unique and eye-popping.
Foursquare Redoubtable- I'm an admitted Foursquare aficionado and more than that a fan of their fortified wine casks releases which have all been spectacular. To say I was looking forward to this one is an understatement.
Sweet cherries, oak, red wine, blackberries, plums(all the dark fruits!).
Smokey wood, lemon...WOW! Spectacular! At 61% you would think that it would be hot but is very drinkable. Shrugs off water like a ducks back! I added water three times. Made for me.
  Listening to Return to Forever, RIP Chick Corea.

FS Redoubtable.jpg

savanna Velier.jpg

St Benevolence 1.jpg

• I like it 4

Having more Panama Pacific tonight. This is probably loaded with sugar but is incredibly approachable.