bdrinker

What rum are you drinking today?

Marekv8
16 hours ago, Kane said:

Okay first sip and I’m already beating myself for not grabbing more when this was sitting on the shelf for months. Should’ve cracked this open earlier. There’s some curious sweet & sour tropical flavors going on that I can’t quite put my finger on. Even the funk is taking a backseat to that, a very unusual rum to my palate. Needs further analysis. 

Yes, that’s quite a good one.  The Stolen Overproof is a good backup with a similar profile (and outstanding price).

smokinjoe

Smith & Cross, because I spent most of this Monday work day having tire shreds, asphalt pieces, and diesel exhaust fumes, blown in my face as both customers and vendors had their way with me.  

Wait...my day was pretty good.  Those are my tasting notes...  🤣

00478C69-4F1B-452F-8E4B-C34F6886393B.jpeg

• I like it 3

Nomad
2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Smith & Cross, because I spent most of this Monday work day having tire shreds, asphalt pieces, and diesel exhaust fumes, blown in my face as both customers and vendors had their way with me.  

Wait...my day was pretty good.  Those are my tasting notes...  🤣

00478C69-4F1B-452F-8E4B-C34F6886393B.jpeg

It's a very interesting bottle for a relatively small number of bucks. Good stuff!

smokinjoe
28 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It's a very interesting bottle for a relatively small number of bucks. Good stuff!

Yep, not a bad price.  I’ll be using it as a mixer, though.  

• I like it 1

PhantomLamb
13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Yep, not a bad price.  I’ll be using it as a mixer, though.  

Still haven't tried Smith and Cross yet.  If it's too funky or smells too much like a tire fire, maybe add a few drops of water or serve on the rocks, can mellow it out.  It's helped me get through some extremely difficult bottles of rum and find the needle in the haystack, so to speak.

HoustonNit

Thank you guys here for turning me onto this!  

my first time over ice and it holds up so well. As soon as I poured I could smell pineapple and Hampden funk from 2ft away.  

84DB9221-152D-47A0-BA58-66216BC8519E.jpeg

2CDFE50D-ECF9-446D-AED1-10B02E42BDC9.jpeg

9310891C-C264-4B95-BA6E-1C79ADB02290.gif

• I like it 2

Paddy

I moved from CS Irish to CS rum with a two finger pour of the FS ‘08 12 year old.  Proved to be a very nice combo...👍

Kepler
On 7/15/2020 at 6:04 PM, Kane said:

Found this guy hiding in my closet. 

They tend to do that.  Sneaky little bastards.

tanstaafl2

Have been drinking a couple of elderly agricoles the last couple of days.

36F0D407-FB07-4956-8063-258AEF80697A.jpeg.c71bf0207d95e74fcb35a8b12c99d4bc.jpegF9D0197B-E37E-45CB-B627-A044DDD0D7A5.jpeg.24ed1a3d16779bc944c01b842ebf9c08.jpeg

Not surprisingly, they were good.

Really, really good! 😎

• I like it 6

PhantomLamb

Still struggling to get through Hamilton's 9yr. St Lucia Cask Strength.  It's not bad necessarily, but tastes like I'm drinking aloe vera even when adding some water to open it up.  Will keep at it I guess...

tanstaafl2
On 9/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Still struggling to get through Hamilton's 9yr. St Lucia Cask Strength.  It's not bad necessarily, but tastes like I'm drinking aloe vera even when adding some water to open it up.  Will keep at it I guess...

Those were definitely some high congener pot still bombs! Especially the cask strength versions. Up front it is like nail polish remover! In a good way of course...

😎

• I like it 1

PhantomLamb
12 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Those were definitely some high congener pot still bombs! Especially the cask strength versions. Up front it is like nail polish remover! In a good way of course...

😎

The nose is divine, on the palette is a different story though lol.  Hoping I can stock up on some more "experimental" rums going into 2020.

Marekv8

I'm glad Bruce talked me into going back for this one--this 19yo has an unusual "rusty water" murkiness and a very delicate presence (by Saint Lucia standards).

IMG_5053.thumb.jpg.efb5b90d8f5617c963a43a9009c04e30.jpg

• I like it 2

k-train

Not my favorite, but it was on sale

AA05E152-5A76-4FE2-93D8-4B28D824717D.thumb.jpeg.bf6e998082038b53e74a1d3bb0a29719.jpeg

PhantomLamb
16 hours ago, k-train said:

Not my favorite, but it was on sale

AA05E152-5A76-4FE2-93D8-4B28D824717D.thumb.jpeg.bf6e998082038b53e74a1d3bb0a29719.jpeg

Yep and widely available. Just wish they didn’t use their “dosage”.

• I like it 1

k-train
13 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yep and widely available. Just wish they didn’t use their “dosage”.

Yeah, I was reading that it's actually illegal to use dosages in rums made in Barbados, but since the Plantation stuff is aged in France, that's how they're allowed to get away with it. Not sure how accurate that is though. I guess if there's any silver lining to it, it's that they seem to be at least a little more upfront about their use of dosages than many other producers.

PhantomLamb
11 hours ago, k-train said:

Yeah, I was reading that it's actually illegal to use dosages in rums made in Barbados, but since the Plantation stuff is aged in France, that's how they're allowed to get away with it. Not sure how accurate that is though. I guess if there's any silver lining to it, it's that they seem to be at least a little more upfront about their use of dosages than many other producers.

They weren’t for a long time if I understood correctly and you’re also right about Bajan time.

tanstaafl2

Having a Navy Grog at SOS Tiki bar made with a delicious barrel pick of Chairmen’s Reserve rum. An older, higher proof barrel makes it a lovely sipping rum as well!

The lit cinnamon stick adds a lovely “incense” over the drink!

D1E0BA32-DB54-40E0-95DC-C1300FF3318F.jpeg.ff8d18804e13a850ab6d8853b7956fd1.jpegC0C28F79-6A9C-487A-8289-A8F667156571.jpeg.1219666e44b582c693078c3747b0f9c1.jpeg

PhantomLamb

Looks divine. Picked up a bottle of Real McCoy 3yr. Holy heck is this stuff smooth and it’s cheap. Looking forward to making mojitos tonight with some chocolate mint from my wife’s garden.