• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marekv8

• kevinbrink

• tanstaafl2

• Kpiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First day of Spring Break called for a rum. I don’t do much sipping rum typically but this is pretty decent.

Have been drinking a couple of elderly agricoles the last couple of days.     Not surprisingly, they were good.   Really, really good! ?

No, but he did set me up with a double Whistlepig 10 in a “to go” coffee cup with lid for boarding the flight. Good bartenders (and auto mechanics) are life’s true treasures.

Posted Images

HoustonNit
On 8/28/2021 at 3:10 PM, Nomad said:

I agree they're not first use barrels, but IDK what they previously held. Company was founded by a French family so I'd guess cognac.

FWIW they claim it's all cane juice but their has been a little pushback on that point. I think it taste like a mix.

So I took this bottle on a long weekend trip we did with a couple other couples.  I feel I was a big harsh, I actually really enjoyed it the second time around.  Ok it’s not rhum agricole or doesn’t taste like it anyway.  Also yes it’s not very oaky for 15 year rum and no funk but I still enjoyed it.  Lots of vanilla and brown sugar.  Very bourbon like.

• I like it 1
tanstaafl2

It is Haiti. As far as I am concerned absolutely nothing can be taken at face value. It isn't like the government is regulating it. After all, there is no effective government and hasn't been one for decades. Maybe a couple of centuries...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was going to be overly woody due to the color— but it’s very well-balanced with a raw, unruly burnt sweetness without being cloying.

CF867369-4762-4ABE-9E34-DA46064A4CE3.thumb.jpeg.a1234cafbef784dfc21b6327a723c9fe.jpeg

• I like it 2
HoustonNit
15 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I thought this was going to be overly woody due to the color— but it’s very well-balanced with a raw, unruly burnt sweetness without being cloying.

CF867369-4762-4ABE-9E34-DA46064A4CE3.thumb.jpeg.a1234cafbef784dfc21b6327a723c9fe.jpeg

Wow looks port, I seriously don’t recall seeing anything that dark in rum, whiskey or brandy.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow looks port, I seriously don’t recall seeing anything that dark in rum, whiskey or brandy.

Agreed. Funny thing is, they had a 20 year Panama that was even darker— so I may need to reel that one in. Really an unusual and powerful rum— especially given the 50.5% ABV.

I was not sure about how to feel about the aged LROK when I first opened it a few months ago, I liked it, but it has progressively become a favorite. I got both of these the same day, but I didn't open the unaged until today and it has some different things going on for itself. Stellar bottles.

lrok hampden.jpeg

• I like it 3
  • 2 weeks later...
HoustonNit
On 9/14/2021 at 5:58 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

It is Haiti. As far as I am concerned absolutely nothing can be taken at face value. It isn't like the government is regulating it. After all, there is no effective government and hasn't been one for decades. Maybe a couple of centuries...

I was thinking about this and I’ve always tended to trust rum/rhum from French speaking Caribbean countries as well as English speaking countries to be less likely altered and less deceptive than Spanish speaking countries.  However yeah Haiti may be an exception to that rule.  

PhantomLamb
10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I was thinking about this and I’ve always tended to trust rum/rhum from French speaking Caribbean countries as well as English speaking countries to be less likely altered and less deceptive than Spanish speaking countries.  However yeah Haiti may be an exception to that rule.  

I've felt the same.  However, for Spanish-speaking countries it seems Cuba (a la Havana Club) and Panama (Panama Pacific or a reputable bottler) will get you something that is genuine.  

Last night I had St Lucia heavy pot still with all the chemically-goodness followed by the simple sweetness of some Havana Club that I picked up and the B2B was amazing.  It was almost like the HC reset my palate.