What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First pour of the K&L Craigellachie 21 Year Single Cask.
Needs more water at 53.3% than I was anticipating. Great malty character. Caramel, vanilla & citrus. Almost reminds me of a Glenmorangie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/1/2017 at 11:17 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Ummmm, this might be the wrong thread. Foreign ownership doesn't quite make Booker's a foreign whisky! At least not yet.

Busted...I only read the thread title.  On a related note, I DID enjoy a double of Booker's at the Munich Airport recently - maybe that qualifies?

Ardbeg Uigeadail after dinner.

The Glen Rothes on the patio with the wife enjoying a nice stl spring evening. Beautiful!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Continuing my exploration of scotch.  Last night Aberfeldy 12 and tonight Dewars 12.  

IMG_0261.JPG

Cracked a new bottle of Springbank 10. Loving it as always.
Then cracked open an Old Malt Cask bottling of Caol Ila 6 Year Single Sherry Cask. Hated it. Sure hope it grows on me.

I polished off my bottle of Balvenie Triple Cask 16 YO that I picked up at Heathrow last year.  I thought it was a solid bottle, but in my opinion, there are better offerings from The Balvenie that are available stateside.

IMG_5371.jpg

Had a few glasses of Compass Box Flaming Heart 2015 last night.  As this has opened up, it has developed a lot fresh delicate melon and cucumber flavors that I associate with Hakushu and older Islays.  Honestly this was a steal at $120, and I'll be replacing it.  I have been pretty "meh" on compass box lately, but this is everything I love about them.  Complex, approachable and well composed.  Honestly I should probably just buy a case of this because there aren't any single malts left with these qualities in that price range.

Incidentally, I purchased a bottle of Highland Park 12 while on a work trip and was really disappointed. Ended up dumping most of the bottle instead of bothering with trying to get it back home.  The best way I can think of to describe it is what happens when you try to drink soda that has gone flat.  It is recognizably the same soda with the same flavors, but the key ingredient that provides the vital essense of the drink and ties it all together is missing.

Has my palate changed that much or has HP12 gone that far downhill? 

Tons of Scotches at the GBS International Whiskey Night that Bruce hosted last evening.  So many great whiskies, but I found myself really gravitating to the Longrow Red.  Below is just one of several tables from Bruce's spectacular open collection.  The rest of us were able to contribute a few...   :lol:  

image.jpg

Edited by smokinjoe

Tons of Scotches at the GBS International Whiskey Night that Bruce hosted last evening.  So many great whiskies, but I found myself really gravitating to the Longrow Red.  Below is just one of several tables from Bruce's spectacular open collection.  The rest of us were able to contribute a few...   :lol:  

image.thumb.jpg.c740770bea47e5a20df401f41ba6fbec.jpg

Wow!!!! Bruce really knows how to put on a party!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

image.jpg

Absolutely amazing. Bravo!!

Currently on vacation visiting my wife's relatives in Spain. The only whisky we have is Laphroaig PX Cask that I picked up in the airport but hot damn it is good. 

Cheers everyone!

8 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Incidentally, I purchased a bottle of Highland Park 12 while on a work trip and was really disappointed. Ended up dumping most of the bottle instead of bothering with trying to get it back home.  The best way I can think of to describe it is what happens when you try to drink soda that has gone flat.  It is recognizably the same soda with the same flavors, but the key ingredient that provides the vital essense of the drink and ties it all together is missing.

Not to suggest HP12 hasn't changed but if a whisky tastes that dramatically different from previous experience, its most likely due to drinker/environmental factors.

In the past I've noticed significant smell/taste experiences from the same bottle from one day to the next!

Many things affect one's drinking experience: what you ate before, smells in the room, fatigue, etc.

17 minutes ago, portwood said:

Not to suggest HP12 hasn't changed but if a whisky tastes that dramatically different from previous experience, its most likely due to drinker/environmental factors.

In the past I've noticed significant smell/taste experiences from the same bottle from one day to the next!

Many things affect one's drinking experience: what you ate before, smells in the room, fatigue, etc.

Yeah, I am not sure.  I was staying at an Airbnb on the beach in North Carolina, so it could be environmental.  I was cooking for myself though, and was eating food comparable to what I would eat at home.  I was down there for two weeks, and tried the whisky 4-5 different nights all to the same result: flat flavor and more sulfur than usual, particularly in the nose.

After seeing that picture from Bruce's house, Georgia has moved up quite a few notches on the "where to retire" list

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, garbanzobean said:

Had a few glasses of Compass Box Flaming Heart 2015 last night.  As this has opened up, it has developed a lot fresh delicate melon and cucumber flavors that I associate with Hakushu and older Islays.  Honestly this was a steal at $120, and I'll be replacing it.  I have been pretty "meh" on compass box lately, but this is everything I love about them.  Complex, approachable and well composed.  Honestly I should probably just buy a case of this because there aren't any single malts left with these qualities in that price range.

I have been seeing a few of these left on the shelves for only about $100 I believe. I already have several but maybe I need to get more!

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, garbanzobean said:

Yes.

B)

The picture Joe posted above was "Scotland".

So as not to slight the rest of the world at the GBS International Whisky Night (which coincidentally happened to fall on "World Whisky Day" which apparently was made up out of whole cloth back in about 2012) here is the Ireland section and the rest of the world.

5922f934823d8_InternationalwhiskynightIreland.jpg.caf16cbbd1d1896020016a10a896938a.jpg5922f92b86091_Internationalwhiskynightrestofworld.jpg.a2c2c5c82010f7b73aa4998823565700.jpg

Another great night despite the annoyance of the rain which hung around all evening.

And I still think we need to do a blend of Baijiu and Malört... :wacko:

On 5/22/2017 at 10:46 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

And I still think we need to do a blend of Baijiu and Malört... :wacko:

Neither of which crossed my lips the other night, but I could be convinced to have a taste of a blend of those. Maybe mix in some of that North Korean crap while you're at it. Barrel aged perhaps???

Edited by maybeling

24 minutes ago, maybeling said:

Neither of which crossed my lips the other night, but I could be convinced to have a taste of a blend of those. Maybe mix in some of that North Korean crap while you're at it. Barrel aged perhaps???

I'll do it if you will!!!!

...you go first....  :lol:

Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength Batch 7. Superb whisky.

Old Malt Cask bottling of Caol Ila. 6 years old. Much more enjoyable than the first pour I had last week.

A couple pours of Springbank 10 before dinner. Never gets old.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.