Booker's MSRP and allocation?

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The prices here are pretty mixed, I've seen everything from $48 up to $99, the higher prices are at stores that gouge on everything. I personally love Bookers, I think it's the best of the attainable barrel proofers to my pallet. I've been picking up old batches at little liquor stores in my area for the past few months since they haven't gotten the memo and are generally priced around $50, I'm at 6 bottles now and will probably stop when I hit ten or stop finding bottles around $50.

Edited by kevinbrink

I saw a new batch 2017-1 (can't remember the batch name) at an Alabama ABC store this weekend priced at $69. Here in TN it's a mixed bag of older prices in some stores on up to around $80.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I saw a new batch 2017-1 (can't remember the batch name) at an Alabama ABC store this weekend priced at $69. Here in TN it's a mixed bag of older prices in some stores on up to around $80.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2017-1 is Tommy's Batch, I passed one up for 69 bux this weekend.  4 release a year is what i believe and less bottles available.  The store only got one in.

19 hours ago, Gh3nghis said:

2017-1 is Tommy's Batch, I passed one up for 69 bux this weekend.  4 release a year is what i believe and less bottles available.  The store only got one in.

I believe it's also a round table batch if that matters to you.

21 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I believe it's also a round table batch if that matters to you.

Probably not to me joe.  I think they are all going to be roundtable , since it's only going to be 4 releases.  Good bourbon, but not for the price anymore.  Not mad at Beam though.  I already have two case bunkered.  Will last me 3 years at least.

5 hours ago, Gh3nghis said:

Probably not to me joe.  I think they are all going to be roundtable , since it's only going to be 4 releases.  Good bourbon, but not for the price anymore.  Not mad at Beam though.  I already have two case bunkered.  Will last me 3 years at least.

It's certainly possible, but I think it's far from a given.  In 2015 I think 3 of 6 were and in 2016 I believe only 1 of 6 were.  Ultimately I think making all 4 roundtable would kill any novelty of the concept, so I would expect 1-2 per year to be roundtable.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the latest price book, the Bookers price hike is retreating here in Michigan by the end of the month -- down $30 to $69. Seems to me like this was a marketing experiment gone bad  -- thinking that the bourbon craze would make the $99 price stick. Would love to see a domino effect, but also saw that RY10 is jumping $20. I was looking forward to picking up a bottle of this (really hasn't been available much here and calling my fav LS every Thursday), but won't be doing it at the new price of $70.

Finished a Big Man Small Batch (2015 #1) last night and am down to two bottles of other batches in the bunker. In anticipation of more increases in Booker's prices, I stocked up with 5 bottles of Stagg, Jr. over the last couple months because I saw them at < $50.  Figured the Stagg was a more than acceptable substitute. If Booker's returns to more normal prices, I may replenish my supply.  Would go with more ECBP too but haven't seen any in a long time at any price.

Haven't thought much about Booker's since the price jump.  My bottle is half gone, and I haven't had a shot since December.  I still avoid Beam products.

2 hours ago, raymoall said:

According to the latest price book, the Bookers price hike is retreating here in Michigan by the end of the month -- down $30 to $69. Seems to me like this was a marketing experiment gone bad  -- thinking that the bourbon craze would make the $99 price stick. Would love to see a domino effect, but also saw that RY10 is jumping $20. I was looking forward to picking up a bottle of this (really hasn't been available much here and calling my fav LS every Thursday), but won't be doing it at the new price of $70.

I feared this would happen.  I recently found some bottles of the 2005 batch.  Debating on making the 1 hour drive to pick up the 2 bottles I left on the shelf. 

I believe Jim Beam did themselves a huge disservice with the 100 dollar announcement. Severe consumer backlash.

I think the angle, ultimately, is for all  of the sought after/allocated bottles to be moved to on premise. I know a few people in alcohol distribution and they feel this way as well. It won't happen overnight but the wheels are in motion. 

Drink up.

Edited by Government Beard

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

This bumped up $10 at VA ABC's to $69.99.

I see it at $60-70 consistently in WDC and $57 in Montgomery County MD.  The MC MD website says they have more than 440 bottles in stock.

Bevmo has it on sale for $59.99 in Phoenix and the inventory doesn't seem to be changing.  TW&M has several batches on the shelf.  I have only purchased one bottle and when it's gone it won't be missed.

I was at Total Wine just a week or two ago they had two batches for $49.99.

Now they have Noe Hard Times at $54 and the newest batch Tommy's at $59.99.

Think it'll slowly go up in price.

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I was at Total Wine just a week or two ago they had two batches for $49.99.

Now they have Noe Hard Times at $54 and the newest batch Tommy's at $59.99.

Think it'll slowly go up in price.

The older batches are on the shelf at $65 at my TW, Tommy's is $75

The older batches are on the shelf at $65 at my TW, Tommy's is $75

Yeah don't see myself buying 6yr old Beam at even $53. Even its hand picked barrels from a bunch of bourbon nerd bloggers and unfiltered batch proof.

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah don't see myself buying 6yr old Beam at even $53. Even its hand picked barrels from a bunch of bourbon nerd bloggers and unfiltered batch proof.

I'm team Bookers all day at $53. I would take it over Stagg JR, and as I said in another thread BP MGP bourbons for sure and on most nights I prefer it to ECBP.

I'm team Bookers all day at $53. I would take it over Stagg JR, and as I said in another thread BP MGP bourbons for sure and on most nights I prefer it to ECBP.

Hmm guess I need to try some. Had ECBP last Saturday for the first time and it was unbelievable, better than the SAOS I have right now. Heck that was the latest batch as well that people have been knocking.

8 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Hmm guess I need to try some. Had ECBP last Saturday for the first time and it was unbelievable, better than the SAOS I have right now. Heck that was the latest batch as well that people have been knocking.

Everyone likes different things, honestly sometimes I love the oak in ECBP but sometimes it's too heavy handed to me but with out a doubt I like it more than SAOS BP, and that's not to say I don't like the SAOS BP's but I also don't think I've opened a bottle that has been as good as ECBP or Booker's. That being said I like it and think it is great for the price/availability (for now at least). I think it's interesting that there are people who have had SAOS but haven't had Booker's or WTRB which tend to languish on the shelves despite the surge in popularity for barrel proof bourbons. It's not even that I think everyone would like WTRB or Booker's its more of the fact that they seem to fit better into the bourbon starter kit than a sourced MGP bottling.

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm a buyer of Booker's all day at $53 although I'll not be buying for a couple of years while I work through what I have on hand. I prefer Stagg Jr. and ECBP over it but not sure what else comes close at $50. I'm also a huge fan of KCSB but we can get that in MD at $33 on sale. The SAOS BPs I have all come in behind those four for me. I like them well enough but I may not have gotten a honey barrel yet because I don't like them as well as they seem to be reviewed. I've had proofs ranging from 98 to 122 and aged from 9-11 years. Bottles by Sarah and James. I'll keep trying and maybe one day be pleasantly surprised. 

It does raise an interesting point, that SAOS can play middle man, and offer a barrel proofer at twice the age of Booker's at slightly less money. I like both, but it is an interesting situation....one I am sure SAOS feels happy to be in, and one that Beam feels short changed on

36 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

It does raise an interesting point, that SAOS can play middle man, and offer a barrel proofer at twice the age of Booker's at slightly less money. I like both, but it is an interesting situation....one I am sure SAOS feels happy to be in, and one that Beam feels short changed on

SAOS compares well to Booker's maybe if you are only looking at age, but Beam acquits itself well with the age of KCSB (9 years plus), for the most part higher proof than SAOS and lower priced than SAOS

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, Bbstout said:

I recently found some bottles of the 2005 batch.  Debating on making the 1 hour drive to pick up the 2 bottles I left on the shelf. 

Do you know the batch number?  What did you end doing, did you pick up more?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.