What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The manager at one of my locals helped me get a bottle of PVW20 back in the spring so I took him a sample today. While there he showed me a new barrel of Knob Creek they had just gotten in so I brought one home. It's called the "Mall Santa" barrel due to its unique combination of Christmas spices and a boozey quality you'd expect to encounter in a mall Santa. Sipping it now.......Not sure I'd get that combo on my own but by the power of suggestion, I'm getting it.

Henry McKenna 10....Might move on to something else later but getting to know this one for a bit.

You could start and finish the night with that one, hope the word doesn't get out what a great pour that is and the price is like icing on the cake.

5 minutes ago, Thig said:

You could start and finish the night with that one, hope the word doesn't get out what a great pour that is and the price is like icing on the cake.

It's pretty nice but for just a couple dollars more I'm thinking ER 10 is a bit better.  But being Single Barrels I'll have to keep comparing them...Just to be sure!

It's pretty nice but for just a couple dollars more I'm thinking ER 10 is a bit better.  But being Single Barrels I'll have to keep comparing them...Just to be sure!

I have never been overly impressed with ER10 but like you say more sampling is needed. [emoji12]

Ice fishing finally!! After catching my limit of blue gills, and an hour and a half cleaning them, OGD 114 called my name. Just the thing to warm my bones back up... really need to remember my flask next time and take my Old Grand Dad fishing with me!

22 hours ago, johnnyz28 said:

A rather disappointing SAOS 10yo SiB....Pretty one dimensional.  My first SA and I feel a little let down.  Hopefully it improves with some time in the bottle.

I had the same experience with both SB and Ten... about two weeks later, completely different whiskey. You will be pleasantly surprised.

JT

Every year the grand kids would give Grandpa OGD for our Christmas present.  It was the tradition. Grandpa was always thrilled to get a bottle.  This was his favorite bourbon and I never saw him drink anything else.  

So tonight I'm  enjoying a OGD BIB (yes, it's early) and remembering Christmas's from long ago. 

Bill

20 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

I had the same experience with both SB and Ten... about two weeks later, completely different whiskey. You will be pleasantly surprised.

JT

That's reassuring!  I just poured a little to try again and it's just spice spice spice.  I'm going to move it to the back of the shelf for a week or two before I revisit.

11 minutes ago, BillP said:

Every year the grand kids would give Grandpa OGD for our Christmas present.  It was the tradition. Grandpa was always thrilled to get a bottle.  This was his favorite bourbon and I never saw him drink anything else.  

So tonight I'm  enjoying a OGD BIB (yes, it's early) and remembering Christmas's from long ago. 

Bill

Nice .  Reflection of those good times with a good bourbon is such a special experience.  

Cheers to you !

Revisited the RY 10 SB after staying away for a bit and seeing if I could come around to it. But still at meh especially at its price. Maybe being harsh because it sets me up and then let's me down. Nice opening notes on the nose and initial taste but just goes too flat after that for me. Not a bad bourbon by any means but I'll take any of the cheaper HH labelled bourbons: Larceny, EC and McKenna for more complexity, flavor and end notes. And still no contest next to OWA or W 12. 

I cracked open a bottle of OGD114 tonight.  A nice pour neat and a another one for a whiskey sour.  Not bad, but still not the perfect whiskey for this drink.  I'll keep looking.

I shared some Pappy 15 at a family get together tonight. :) Ho! Ho! Ho!

Cheers! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I shared some Pappy 15 at a family get together tonight. :) Ho! Ho! Ho!

Cheers! Joe

What a lovely way to spend some family time ! 

Happy holiday !

Cheers ! Will 

Starting Christmas Eve (a little early but what the hell) with a tasty pour of WT 8 yo export. 

Cheers ! Will

I revisited the RY SB 10 this morning, while not a bad pour it's not a great pour either.  It was more appealing after it stood a couple of weeks.  Perhaps in a month or two it will open up.  It has a respectable nose, mouth feel, and finish but it lacks the sweetness I enjoy in my wheated bourbons.

I revisited the RY SB 10 this morning, while not a bad pour it's not a great pour either.  It was more appealing after it stood a couple of weeks.  Perhaps in a month or two it will open up.  It has a respectable nose, mouth feel, and finish but it lacks the sweetness I enjoy in my wheated bourbons.

That's all fair. As I can have my cake and eat it too, I enjoy the RY 10 for what it is, which is a different profile from the Weller profile. But if I had to choose one (well two), I think my special affinity for W12 and OWA would win out. I still think the RY 10 is a solid offering.

19 hours ago, flahute said:

The cult approves of this exercise and expects a full report upon your first taste of the batch.

The Hancock's makes a good decanter.

14 hours ago, johnnyz28 said:

That's reassuring!  I just poured a little to try again and it's just spice spice spice.  I'm going to move it to the back of the shelf for a week or two before I revisit.

Is yours a Sarah or a James?

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

That's all fair. As I can have my cake and eat it too, I enjoy the RY 10 for what it is, which is a different profile from the Weller profile. But if I had to choose one (well two), I think my special affinity for W12 and OWA would win out. I still think the RY 10 is a solid offering.

Point well made.  I'm not disappointed that I bought a RYSB10 but to think that I could have gotten two OWA for less is a comparison that OWA will win every time.

4 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Not sure if it's barrel variation or just where our respective palates are right now but the sweetness I get from my bottle is one of the reasons why I really like it.

I had it in the same sitting as some ORVW10 and could not decide which one was better.

The last pour from the last of my original batch of 10 4R SBBS gift shop bottles. OBSF was the last one standing and it did not disappoint, it never did, each pour over the years has been fantastic. This was a fun and delicious tour that established a baseline from which to compare future bottles of  these 10 recipes. I was fortunate to acquire them while Jim Rutledge was at the helm and all but 1 of the 10 were very good to excellent. Not a bad way to celebrate the holidays and usher in the new year with some new bottles. Slainte, Kevin.

Holidays and great pours from the deep recesses of the bunkers. I didn't bite. EW white w/ice. Very nice. :)

Edited by FacePlant

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.