What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drinking some OBSQ, stopped for some prosciutto, and when I went back to the OBSQ, there is now a huge fruity (grape medicine) sweetness. It must be the fat from the prosciutto that drastically changed the flavor. 

I got to open the Woodford Big Red selection #3 (I got as a gift). :) So far, I don't get any of that copper penny taste we used to gripe about.  The first taste I detected: some oak, and then rye, and a little cinnamon on the aftertaste.  It bears a resemblence to some other B-F brands.

First pour of this. The nose from the bottle was sweeter than when it hit the glass. Getting a lot of alcohol. Going to let it sit for a while. Took a small sip and got a lot of alcohol heat on the palate too (more than I expected at 100 proof) but I like what is behind it so far.

20161226_230004-747x1328.jpg

13 hours ago, Dgriffin said:

First glass of ETL .

Elmer.jpg

Nice. Working on a bottle of that myself.

I decided to have a pour or two tonight  since I haven't had anything since last Friday night. I chose BT. It's hitting all the right notes tonight. Sweet, spicy goodness in a glass. :P 

Cheers! Joe

27 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I decided to have a pour or two tonight  since I haven't had anything since last Friday night. I chose BT. It's hitting all the right notes tonight. Sweet, spicy goodness in a glass. :P 

Cheers! Joe

Cheers Joe!

Coming to the end of a Smooth Ambler 11yr SB, 51.4%. it's been great all the way down, few drops of water does wonders to it.

Cheers all!

Loch & K(e)y Barrel Select Blanton's w/SIL.  Still hosting the Park Slope granddaughters and family for the Christmas/Hanukkah holidays.  A great bourbon to end the visit!  Warm and welcoming, smooth and delicious.  Notes of vanilla and caramel from nose to palate to finish.  Great stuff!   :D

Happy Holidays all y'all!   B)

4 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

I'm going hunting tonight.

Cheers!

Will. 

IMG_7864.JPG

Very nice.

3 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

EE047ADA-00E4-4302-B5DA-6D0E812D78AB_zps

Revisiting this bottle of Willet, such an easy sipper.

Oh Yeah!

14 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Still working on this bottle, having a very nice pour tonight.

IMG_0371_zpsnpnhiabq.jpg

As soon as I finish off a couple of near empty bottles, I'm probably gonna have to open an ETL myself.

Really enjoying this guy.  I am assuming this is Old Forester Signature (OFS) -- as it is 100 proof, and the bottle design features an "embossed" signature in the glass around shoulder height.  It seems this design lasted only a short time though. Curious if anyone knows any more about when this might have rolled out of the distillery.  I assume not very long ago at all...

In any case, this tastes fantastic.  Really well balanced, sweet without being the least bit cloying, and a plenty-healthy-mule kick to it.  I like it a LOT.

OF 100.JPG

11 minutes ago, Steve L said:

Really enjoying this guy.  I am assuming this is Old Forester Signature (OFS) -- as it is 100 proof, and the bottle design features an "embossed" signature in the glass around shoulder height.  It seems this design lasted only a short time though. Curious if anyone knows any more about when this might have rolled out of the distillery.  I assume not very long ago at all...

In any case, this tastes fantastic.  Really well balanced, sweet without being the least bit cloying, and a plenty-healthy-mule kick to it.  I like it a LOT.

OF 100.JPG

Yeah, new label? Big fan of Old Forester Signature, wish it was around here.

Just now, MTNBourbon said:

Yeah, new label? Big fan of Old Forester Signature, wish it was around here.

I think this label is older, not very old, but it's not the new one -- the new one that I see everywhere looks like this:

old-forester-signature-100-feature-1038x576.jpg

4R Yellow Label.  Ok,  if uninspiring....;)  In my rankings of the Legacy distillery  intro whiskey domain, I am finding it hard to think of other bourbons that I would rank lower.  Perhaps, BT's Benchmark, WT 81, the bevy of 80 proof HH cats & dogs...I much prefer other competitive products such as EW Black, Jack Daniel's Black, with Old Forester 86 in a tie, maybe?  

As as I think about this in a wider perspective, two "surprises" for me come to mind...First, I think with the few labels that 4R has, YL would be better served at 86 proof.  Conversely, JD competes well even at its low proof to my tastes.

3 minutes ago, Steve L said:

I think this label is older, not very old, but it's not the new one -- the new one that I see everywhere looks like this:

old-forester-signature-100-feature-1038x576.jpg

OK. Yeah, that's the label of what I got in Utah, for many years.

While the relatively "newer" OF Sigature is pretty good, it's predecessor,  Old Forester BIB, is still better IMHO. 

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.