What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, Steve L said:

Still not sure which version this bottle is, but it tasted excellent to me. Your post makes me curious to taste the 1920...  

OF 100.JPGAahh that label; the first bourbon that really got me into drinking bourbon. I bought a bottle for the first time in years and I was nervous because of a couple people remarking a drop in quality. The first pour tastes dissappointing. Subsequent pours it opened up to its bold, thick mouthfeel, great tasting self. 

35 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I think you may have forgotten how good the old 86p juice was.

:P

My father in law still had a bottle, but I took care of it..... neat!  It was that good!

Perhaps.  I mean, I ain't no elephant!  In the meantime, I'll ruminate on this 90 proof, instead. ;)

Good whiskey, this one.  And, still enjoy today's iteration as well.

image.jpg

On 12/23/2016 at 8:45 PM, T Comp said:

Revisited the RY 10 SB after staying away for a bit and seeing if I could come around to it. But still at meh especially at its price. Maybe being harsh because it sets me up and then let's me down. Nice opening notes on the nose and initial taste but just goes too flat after that for me. Not a bad bourbon by any means but I'll take any of the cheaper HH labelled bourbons: Larceny, EC and McKenna for more complexity, flavor and end notes. And still no contest next to OWA or W 12. 

On 12/24/2016 at 6:43 AM, Special Reserve said:

I revisited the RY SB 10 this morning, while not a bad pour it's not a great pour either.  It was more appealing after it stood a couple of weeks.  Perhaps in a month or two it will open up.  It has a respectable nose, mouth feel, and finish but it lacks the sweetness I enjoy in my wheated bourbons.

I'm a bit late to this post, but thought you might want to know.  I have tried 2 bottles of RY10SB myself, both from different barrel numbers, and got very different results.

One was extremely good, better than Weller 12 in my book.  (Of course, I do like the spiciness this bourbon has, which adds a layer that other wheaters don't have.  You may not share my preferences.)  

The other barrel was meh, and I'd rate it much lower and not worth the price. 

So, RY10 buyer beware of variances.  

Edited by Kepler
typo

Tonight was started with the last pour of some Wild Turkey Diamond and quickly followed up by some Four Roses PS OBSK.

Last pour of 2015 Michter's 10, might have to pour something to follow it.  Not bad bourbon, but overpriced, and well...Michter's.  But I was curious to try it last year.  

Kicked it off with WTRB....man this stuff is sooooo good. Followed up by the always trusty BT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Having my first pour of OF1920 tonight for my 50th birthday in my new Norlan glass that my daughter got me.  The 1920 was a present as well along with a bottle of Willett Pot Still and some ER10. The Willett is a 1.75 bottle.  That thing is HUGE! It was a good day.

The 1920 is good stuff...i really love the chocolate covered cherry thing it's got going on.  I was a little worried as I didn't get a whole lot on the nose but man the taste is a roller coaster. Hits hard, then drops off, then comes back with that chocolate cherry.

Keeping with my theme of pulling out all the stops for my holiday break, I'm drinking again from the '12 WLW and am now into the Blanton's SFTB. Everything good about Blanton's amped up to 5x the intensity. 

SAOS 7 year until the bottle was done (pour and a half, alas) and now Buffalo Trace before bed

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm a bit late to this post, but thought you might want to know.  I have tried 2 bottles of RY10SB myself, both from different barrel numbers, and got very different results.

One was extremely good, better than Weller 12 in my book.  (Of course, I do like the spiciness this bourbon has, which adds a layer that other wheaters don't have.  You may not share my preferences.)  

Unfortunately I think I got one of the latter. It's not bad per se...just meh as you say. 

I enjoyed a very good 2oz glass of EW Bib last night. I really wish this stuff would become available in my area. I guess not having it around makes it that much better when I do get to have it.

1 hour ago, Dgriffin said:

I really wish this stuff would become available in my area. I guess not having it around makes it that much better when I do get to have it.

So true for me, too!

2 hours ago, Dgriffin said:

I really wish this stuff would become available in my area. I guess not having it around makes it that much better when I do get to have it.

So true for me, too!

Tonight, Pappy 15, a little pour cause my bottle is almost empty and ill not buy another one unless the price goes down. 

Cheers! 

Will 

It finally cooled off in the south, so I started a fire and poured a class of OFBB 2016. Nice night 

image.jpg

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

Any chance you can divulge the barrel numbers of the good and the meh?

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

Having my first pour of OF1920 tonight for my 50th birthday in my new Norlan glass that my daughter got me. [...]

Happy belated birthday! You're only the second other person I know besides myself whose birthday is 12/28.

Dean

Happy belated birthday! You're only the second other person I know besides myself whose birthday is 12/28.

Dean

Celebrated my 60th birthday 12/27 so happy birthday to us Christmas babies.

1 hour ago, Queball said:

Dean

1 hour ago, Thig said:

Celebrated my 60th birthday 12/27 so happy birthday to us Christmas babies.

Happy Birthday to both of you as well!

A birthday toast? Wait a sec ... okay, nice pour of Buffalo Trace in a glass, so to your health!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Nothing special tonight after dinner out with friends, just standard OWA. Still very good and hit the spot tonight.

Having some OWA tonight as well. Trying to empty this bottle to make some room for all the holiday and birthday acqisistions. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.