What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

4R Yellow Label.  Ok,  if uninspiring....;)  In my rankings of the Legacy distillery  intro whiskey domain, I am finding it hard to think of other bourbons that I would rank lower.  Perhaps, BT's Benchmark, WT 81, the bevy of 80 proof HH cats & dogs...I much prefer other competitive products such as EW Black, Jack Daniel's Black, with Old Forester 86 in a tie, maybe?  

As as I think about this in a wider perspective, two "surprises" for me come to mind...First, I think with the few labels that 4R has, YL would be better served at 86 proof.  Conversely, JD competes well even at its low proof to my tastes.

How does the Old Forester 86 compare to OF Sig?  A store by me has handles on clearance for $25.

24 minutes ago, Golzee said:

How does the Old Forester 86 compare to OF Sig?  A store by me has handles on clearance for $25.

Not too long ago I would have said that the Signature had the much more full profile, and a great bang for the buck whiskey.  However, my last bottle was a major disappointment.  Both seem to be missing the OF richness that characterized the brand for me, even in later years.  But, that has gone missing to my tastes.  There is "flavor" there, but just missing the backbone.  

Wrapping up with an often forgotten bottle from the bar.  Forgotten only, because it has brought me such enjoyment through the years that I don't want to finish it.  William Heavenhill Small  Batch BIB.  Loaded with baking spices and honey up front and over the palate, with a great and controlled oakiness tying it all together.  Gorgeous exemplar of the best of HH whiskey.  

image.jpg

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Not too long ago I would have said that the Signature had the much more full profile, and a great bang for the buck whiskey.  However, my last bottle was a major disappointment.  Both seem to be missing the OF richness that characterized the brand for me, even in later years.  But, that has gone missing to my tastes.  There is "flavor" there, but just missing the backbone.  

My last bottle of Sig was from two years ago or so and I remembered it being pretty darn good. I haven't bought one since then though because it got marked up to $35+ at most stores out here. I was at Brown-Forman back in November and they had everything out so I tasted it alongside the 1920 and was surprised at how lacking it was next to 1920. I'd maybe give it another go at the old price point but am not interested at the new one.

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

My last bottle of Sig was from two years ago or so and I remembered it being pretty darn good. I haven't bought one since then though because it got marked up to $35+ at most stores out here. I was at Brown-Forman back in November and they had everything out so I tasted it alongside the 1920 and was surprised at how lacking it was next to 1920. I'd maybe give it another go at the old price point but am not interested at the new one.

Similar conclusion,  though different path there, Steve.  I liked the 1920, though haven't gushed over it like some.  To me, it was like the good latter days Signature/BIB/100 proof "used " to be before it headed South.  So, it's hard for me to justify the $50 on the 1920, when I remember Sig in the $20's.  However , since I enjoy the old profile, and I can't get the "old " Sig, I'll keep 1920 around for a time-to-time reminder of what was.  Can't see myself going with another Sig anytime soon, but I get only a tiny few less wild hairs than TANSTAAFL2...:lol:

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Similar conclusion,  though different path there, Steve.  I liked the 1920, though haven't gushed over it like some.  To me, it was like the good latter days Signature/BIB/100 proof "used " to be before it headed South.  So, it's hard for me to justify the $50 on the 1920, when I remember Sig in the $20's.  However , since I enjoy the old profile, and I can't get the "old " Sig, I'll keep 1920 around for a time-to-time reminder of what was.  Can't see myself going with another Sig anytime soon, but I get only a tiny few less wild hairs than TANSTAAFL2...:lol:

Still not sure which version this bottle is, but it tasted excellent to me. Your post makes me curious to taste the 1920...  

OF 100.JPG

Steve L, The label pictured above used to be one of my favorites.  I can't give exact dates.  I think that label came out around 2000 when they phased out the bonded version.  It was in production about a dozen years.  The current label then came out.  The early ones of the new label still seemed good.  Then a sudden drop in quality.  

wifey and I met a friend at a local hipster bar after work for bar food, drinks, and for her to kick his ass in foosball. I dig the place, cause they usually have OGD114 in fat pours for $5, but alas....the OGD114 demise has hit the bars too. They were out, and the next most appealing thing was Bulleit rye, So I had one of those.

Celebrating my Grandmother's life with some SAOS to start with Elliott's Select on deck. Hard to feel sorry or even too sad when some lives well to the young age of 98. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

On 12/26/2016 at 11:00 AM, johnnyz28 said:

I get over to Hunt Valley/Cockeysville (Shawan, Total, etc) area once in awhile and Westminster (Cranberry) but never saw any...Work with a guy who has a PT gig at a place in crownsville but they didn't have any either.  It sucks I don't have any local places with any type of selection. Probably my timing mixed with my luck.

Total Wine in Towson had several bottles of HWMWND sitting on the shelves just before Thanksgiving. MoCo had it in mid October.

Had a sensational pour of PH POH before dinner. Now into some WLW (I think from 2012) which is resplendent in all its wheater caramel sweetness. After that it's looking like the final pour from a Booker's 25th.

Strictly all BT tonight watching my Sparty's take on Minnesota, started with RHF, ETL, BT select, finished off with Blantons Gold to end the night. Great win on the road, go green!

Last pour of the night is Buffalo Trace store pick. And I'm picking up ... atomic fireballs? OK, cinnamon. But in BT? Need to recheck when I'm not tired, sober and in a beteer mood. For now, finish the tasty glass and crash.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Had a glass of Baker's at my FILs house last night.  This is either the first time I've had it, or it's the first time I've had it in 12-13 years.  I think I remember drinking this in college, but who knows.  It struck me as a younger, less oaky Knob Creek.  Caramel and burnt sugar.  Definitely some peanuts.  Nice, but nothing special.  I don't see a need to keep this around.  Incidentally, it actually tastes a lot like the last bottle of Black Maple Hill NAS I tried (prior to the switch to Oregon distillate).  Less vanilla but the overall profile was almost dead on.  Wish I'd saved a sample to confirm I'm not totally crazy (about that, at least).

I had originally planned on buying a couple bottles of this and Booker's to have around in the far future in case prices became really unreasonable.  I think maybe instead I'll have a glass of Booker's at a bar to double check, but don't see myself keeping either one around.

I think maybe I'll purchase bottles of OF1920, WTRRSB (my local got a nice barrel in), and Pikesville Rye 6yr/110 instead.  Not saying the distilleries that make these don't have their issues, but they are good high proof American whiskies that are in my wheelhouse.

39 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Had a glass of Baker's at my FILs house last night.  This is either the first time I've had it, or it's the first time I've had it in 12-13 years.  I think I remember drinking this in college, but who knows.  It struck me as a younger, less oaky Knob Creek.  Caramel and burnt sugar.  Definitely some peanuts.  Nice, but nothing special.  I don't see a need to keep this around.  Incidentally, it actually tastes a lot like the last bottle of Black Maple Hill NAS I tried (prior to the switch to Oregon distillate).  Less vanilla but the overall profile was almost dead on.  Wish I'd saved a sample to confirm I'm not totally crazy (about that, at least).

I had originally planned on buying a couple bottles of this and Booker's to have around in the far future in case prices became really unreasonable.  I think maybe instead I'll have a glass of Booker's at a bar to double check, but don't see myself keeping either one around.

I think maybe I'll purchase bottles of OF1920, WTRRSB (my local got a nice barrel in), and Pikesville Rye 6yr/110 instead.  Not saying the distilleries that make these don't have their issues, but they are good high proof American whiskies that are in my wheelhouse.

I've tasted bakers for the first time, I'm not an expert but it tasted a lot like my bottle of Noah's Mill and it's pretty similar to my Michter's 10 2015, peanuts all over the place. 

Will 

4R Yellow Label.  Ok,  if uninspiring....[emoji6]  In my rankings of the Legacy distillery  intro whiskey domain, I am finding it hard to think of other bourbons that I would rank lower.  Perhaps, BT's Benchmark, WT 81, the bevy of 80 proof HH cats & dogs...I much prefer other competitive products such as EW Black, Jack Daniel's Black, with Old Forester 86 in a tie, maybe?  

As as I think about this in a wider perspective, two "surprises" for me come to mind...First, I think with the few labels that 4R has, YL would be better served at 86 proof.  Conversely, JD competes well even at its low proof to my tastes.

You know, you were on the "can't we all just get along and love it out" kick for a while there but you're a little more on the poopoo train this last week. Holidays gettin' down there Joe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, BigRich said:

You know, you were on the "can't we all just get along and love it out" kick for a while there but you're a little more on the poopoo train this last week. Holidays gettin' down there Joe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not looking for consensus, I just tell it like it is...;)  

image.jpg

A good day in the salt mines, today.  So, a little something special with a pour of ND OGD BIB.

image.jpg

20 hours ago, Justin said:

Total Wine in Towson had several bottles of HWMWND sitting on the shelves just before Thanksgiving. MoCo had it in mid October.

Didn't see it in TW but it's easy to miss things in there.  I'll swing in again after work tomorrow and see if there is any lingering.  Never get over to MoCo ever unfortunately.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

A good day in the salt mines, today.  So, a little something special with a pour of ND OGD BIB.

image.jpg

Ohhhhh!     I bet that was a very special pour!    It's good to enjoy these rare oldtimers whenever we get the excuse.

However, I'm down to so very few really good oldies now.    It brings a tear to my eye....    I hope ....(I know) you truly savored it Joe.    Good for you!    Cheers!

Working on my handle of JW Dant BIB while watching Georgetown @ Marquette.

On 12/27/2016 at 6:44 PM, smokinjoe said:

Conversely, JD competes well even at its low proof to my tastes.

I think you may have forgotten how good the old 86p juice was.

:P

My father in law still had a bottle, but I took care of it..... neat!  It was that good!

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I bought a bottle of the new/latest OFSig to compare to the older bottle I found and sampled (quite extensively) last night.  Sad to say I have to agree with this assessment.  Very glad to have found the old one last night tho.  Thinking I may have to slow down and savor that one!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.