Four Roses 2017 Small Batch LE

beasled
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got lucky and was able to score a bottle of this today at one of my favorite local stores. They decided to add a bit of a premium to the price though. I'm hoping it was worth the $199 plus tax that I had to pay. I'll confess that is the most I've ever been willing to pay for a bottle of Bourbon or Scotch...I guess my threshold had now risen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What city/state do you live in?

Enjoyed a pour of this tonight and, as expected, I found it to be very well done.  Probably in my top three all time pours from 4R

41 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Enjoyed a pour of this tonight and, as expected, I found it to be very well done.  Probably in my top three all time pours from 4R

Indeed sir. I'm hustling hard for this one. It's that good.

Indeed sir. I'm hustling hard for this one. It's that good.

Steve, I hope you are able to find one for less than what I had to pay. I'm hoping I can snag another for closer to the suggested retail price, but I'm not sure what the local distributors are doing with pricing, so that may not be possibl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to get a bottle a few weeks ago, here in Atlanta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to try a pour of this at a local bar earlier today. Very good limited edition release. I haven't had a chance to compare this sbs to the 2013 but I've had several bottles of the 2013 over the years. Strictly from memory, I will at this moment say I like the 2013 slightly better but not by a lot. From what I remember, the 2013 is lighter, flavorful, and complex with a longer finish. This 2017 is thicker, richer, fuller, maybe not as layered/complex and slightly shorter finish. Very good tho!!!

Are we still only talking about the Al Young release or is the 'regular' SmBLE out now too? They are doing both this year, right, plus the SiBLE?

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Are we still only talking about the Al Young release or is the 'regular' SmBLE out now too? They are doing both this year, right, plus the SiBLE?

Al Young.

The 'regular' small batch LE is not out yet. It comes out in the fall.

Thanks for responding Steve. Yes. It was Al Young released in June.  It was a good pour for sure. 

When the Al Young Anniversary bottle (a blend like the Small Batch LE after all) first was announced it was not clear twhether it was not replacing the annual Small Batch LE release.

Seems like that question is now answered (probably already was and I just missed it!). It is not replacing the 2017 Small Batch LE.

Maybe the Single Barrel LE is going away after all. In 2015 it was "discontinued". In 2016 it was back, sort of, as the "Elliot Select". Perhaps the Al Young bottle is this years other limited edition besides the Small Batch LE and this will be a theme going forward with the Small Batch LE still produced but with some sort of special release replacing the Single Barrel LE.

Or not.

Why is this so hard to get, there are 10,000 bottles, where are they all going.

Now I feel even worse that I haven't gotten a chance at one... thanks...

4 hours ago, birdie said:

Why is this so hard to get, there are 10,000 bottles, where are they all going.

10,000 is the approximate number for most of the BTAC labels each year and they are about impossible to find. 10,000 is not as much as you might think.

It equates to 200 bottles per state (and of course the distribution is not that equal). After the restaurants and bars get theirs, it leaves probably less than 100 bottles for all the stores in your state.

How many liquor stores are in your state? Now you see why it's so hard to find.

Total Wine is by far the biggest volume seller in Washington State. In the Seattle/Tacoma greater metro area they got exactly 1 bottle per store. (10 total) The little stores didn't get any. 

I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard of Virginia receiving any.  I think they typically get around 100 bottles per these limited Four Roses releases.  Now maybe they have this and it{s just slow to come out (this year's EH Taylor BP is just going to lottery on Wednesday).

The difficulty in finding this is why I have decided to just pay for a pour or two of this at a local bar. The bar I found this at had it for $30 per 2 oz pour.

The difficulty in finding this is why I have decided to just pay for a pour or two of this at a local bar. The bar I found this at had it for $30 per 2 oz pour.

That’s a really good price, considering the retail price of the bottle.

20 hours ago, flahute said:

10,000 is the approximate number for most of the BTAC labels each year and they are about impossible to find. 10,000 is not as much as you might think.

It equates to 200 bottles per state (and of course the distribution is not that equal). After the restaurants and bars get theirs, it leaves probably less than 100 bottles for all the stores in your state.

How many liquor stores are in your state? Now you see why it's so hard to find.

Total Wine is by far the biggest volume seller in Washington State. In the Seattle/Tacoma greater metro area they got exactly 1 bottle per store. (10 total) The little stores didn't get any. 

In 2016 there was actually MORE than 10k bottles of WLW & THH ea and just slightly less than 10k of GTS.  Only 2587 bottles of S18 and 4192 bottles of ER10.  So..yes it should be approximately the same level of difficulty to obtain as WLW, THH, and GTS.  One local TW said they got 6 bottles and put them on the shelf at 1 per.  Said they sold in all six in about 30 mins. with the first 3 going in about 30 seconds.  There are 2 other local TW stores and from what I understand each store got 6 bottles.

I was able to get a pour at a liquor store bar for $6 when I went to sign up for a raffle for a bottle of it.  I didn't win.

22 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard of Virginia receiving any.  I think they typically get around 100 bottles per these limited Four Roses releases.  Now maybe they have this and it{s just slow to come out (this year's EH Taylor BP is just going to lottery on Wednesday).

Sure enough the product is actually showing up on the website now.  My guess is that it will go in the lottery (which I'm paranoid about my entries not being submitted, given that I'm on an 0 for 18 streak).

13 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Sure enough the product is actually showing up on the website now.  My guess is that it will go in the lottery (which I'm paranoid about my entries not being submitted, given that I'm on an 0 for 18 streak).

A couple of local stores said they are keeping this for end of year lottery. I've struck out every year with the lottery for as long as they've had it.

On 8/16/2017 at 0:13 AM, JoeTerp said:

It's been added to the Limited Availability lottery section.  They have 114 bottles at $149.99 for a lottery on 9/6.

Got lucky. Was in a local shop and asked about any future 4R private barrels as i have enjoyed the one they had. Guy said not at this time, are you a four roses fan?

i said yes and he said, I have something special in the back if you want it. 

Yes. Yes I do. 

IMG_2781.JPG

Got lucky. Was in a local shop and asked about any future 4R private barrels as i have enjoyed the one they had. Guy said not at this time, are you a four roses fan?

i said yes and he said, I have something special in the back if you want it. 

Yes. Yes I do. 
IMG_2781.thumb.JPG.c51b02d65b8cfbe98f8dc3de40dce166.JPG

Congrats on that score! I got lucky and got one about a month ago. It was priced at $199, but I knew I'd probably never get another chance at one even close to that price so I sprang for it. The shop I bought from got at least a case (6), and sold it all within an hour or so at that price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.