What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

OBSK 8 year 9 month. I'm a bit disappointed in this one. I have a 10 year OESF that is one of my favorite pours and a 9year+ OESK that is also incredible. This one is good, but I would rather have the 100 proof OBSV. 

IMG_3970.JPG

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

That's too bad because the FRSB BPs aren't cheap.  OBSK and OESK are usually among my favorites.  I am not sure I have seen an OBSK that young.  You are early into the bottle.  If it doesn't improve, you can always blend it with the standard SB OBSV.  I have done that before with FRSB BPs that seemed to be a little off on their own.  You end up with a higher proof small batch.

Heed the words of broo.

4R Private Selections can sometimes need a while to hit their stride. I remember my first OBSK. Thought it was so weird right off the bat. Wasn't until the 4th or 5th pour that I really started to get it. The combination of their high rye mash bill, their unique yeasts, and their single story rickhouses yields a unique flavor.

Of course, it could also be a clunker that's too young. Or the palate of the picker is a lot different than yours. Give it a bit more time to be sure.

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

OBSK 8 year 9 month. I'm a bit disappointed in this one. I have a 10 year OESF that is one of my favorite pours and a 9year+ OESK that is also incredible. This one is good, but I would rather have the 100 proof OBSV. 

IMG_3970.JPG

JC, I got a Liquor Barn OBSK a while back that was in the same age range. Late 8 years or early 9 year old and I found the same thing. OBSK is by far my favorite recipe from Four Roses and I thought it was just an okay bottle and the worst private selection I had ever had from them to date. You could tell that it just been pick before it was ready. I hope yours gets better, but you might want to blend it with a standard SB to help it along.

After a quick but long week, kicked off the evening with a pour of '14 ORVW 10 yr. I followed that with a nice pour of KCSB which I was told is 14yrs old and it is VERY tasty!

14 minutes ago, elmossle said:

JC, I got a Liquor Barn OBSK a while back that was in the same age range. Late 8 years or early 9 year old and I found the same thing. OBSK is by far my favorite recipe from Four Roses and I thought it was just an okay bottle and the worst private selection I had ever had from them to date. You could tell that it just been pick before it was ready. I hope yours gets better, but you might want to blend it with a standard SB to help it along.

Well shoot..........I have one of those Liquor Barn bottles and was excited to find it because it was OBSK. (Haven't opened it yet). This is a bummer.

1 hour ago, elmossle said:

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Well shoot..........I have one of those Liquor Barn bottles and was excited to find it because it was OBSK. (Haven't opened it yet). This is a bummer.

I picked up some Liquor Barn bottles recently from Ky but the OBSK wasn't one of them, sounds like I got lucky.  I have an OESK 9 yr 10 mo release from them that I think is stellar. 

Just now, Kepler said:

I picked up some Liquor Barn bottles recently from Ky but the OBSK wasn't one of them, sounds like I got lucky.  I have an OESK 9 yr 10 mo release from them that I think is stellar. 

I've had some good OESK's in the past two years. Good to hear you got one as well.

Just finished a pour of a nice HMcK10 BiB.  Next up is WTKS store select.  

Just finished a marathon session of the ESPN films 30 for 30 on the Celtics-Lakers.  That was awesome. 

Edited by Kepler
added commentary on what I was watching on TV

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

I've had some good OESK's in the past two years. Good to hear you got one as well.

Good to know.  Just curious whether you've ever had a subpar OESK?  I've tried 3 different releases and they've all been good. I think I may have a fourth in the bunker somewhere I've never tried.

It's been a really good Friday night. Started with some basic OWA. Hadn't had any in a while but the wheater itch needed to be scratched. Great as always it was. Followed with a private barrel pick of RRSiB from Dep's Fine Wine and Spirits in KY. They picked a great one (plus a second one too.)

Finishing with a PS barrel of OESV from TW here in WA State. 

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Good to know.  Just curious whether you've ever had a subpar OESK?  I've tried 3 different releases and they've all been good. I think I may have a fourth in the bunker somewhere I've never tried.

All of my OESK's have been great. Haven't had a recent one so I don't know if they are holding the line on quality of that recipe.

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

All of my OESK's have been great. Haven't had a recent one so I don't know if they are holding the line on quality of that recipe.

Ok thanks.  This one from Liquor Barn was bottled in Oct 2016 and it's good.

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Interesting.  Where did you find the OBSK ?

Everything around town lately has been "F" yeast and well....I'm getting a little tired of it.

I generally really like OBSK.

Air and time definitely make 4R better and better.

I found this down in Springfield, MO. I'll revisit it in a few weeks. Then I'll try it beside the other two PS bottles. 

Edited by JCwhammie

Having a special guest tonight, a Heaven Hill 20yo by Cadenhead's. 

This is absolutely fabolous. Never à had a 20yo bourbon before, all I can say is that I'm impressed by complexity of it. Very oily with a nice long finish. A real treat.

Cheers! 

Will

IMG_8495.JPG

When I was in Chicago last year and picked up a bottle of David Nicholson Reserve. I finally opened it a couple of days ago and was SO surprised. For a bottle under $30 it's become a daily go to and hate to say it, I thought it was better than McKenna 10 BIB. I think it's only available in Indiana and Illinois...luckily I am going to be back in Chicago late July. A bottle this affordable certainly makes your allocated limited ones last a tad longer:)

20170617_161516.jpg

When I was in Chicago last year and picked up a bottle of David Nicholson Reserve. I finally opened it a couple of days ago and was SO surprised. For a bottle under $30 it's become a daily go to and hate to say it, I thought it was better than McKenna 10 BIB. I think it's only available in Indiana and Illinois...luckily I am going to be back in Chicago late July. A bottle this affordable certainly makes your allocated limited ones last a tad longer:)
20170617_161516.thumb.jpg.fecd4ee5f74956d77304bd79073cf419.jpg

I see it everywhere in stl

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Really digging the wheaties tonight W12 and Rebel Yell 10YR. Need to go to WA107 next.

10 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I see it everywhere in stl

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Really! I was just in St. Louis last month and visited Randall's and did not see it or notice it, but then again I just opened the bottle this past week.

50 minutes ago, icarus625 said:

Really! I was just in St. Louis last month and visited Randall's and did not see it or notice it, but then again I just opened the bottle this past week.

I have not seen it around St. Louis. Granted I haven't been looking for it. I will keep my eyes open.

I opened up the seasoned wood I found yesterday, and I certainly think it is a great pour. 

image.jpeg

The palate is in a weird place tonight. Had some RR10yr which is usually a candy bomb to me. Tonight it was an oak bomb. Given that, I switched to VOB BIB which is tasting amazing tonight. I'll stick with that for now.

Booker's Toogie tonight, while watching DVR recording of Indy Car qualifying at Road America. 

Interesting pour, as always.  I sure hope Suntory hasn't ruined the Booker's name.

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Syntax

Enjoying OWA now.  A left turn from Booker's. 

OWA is a nice pour when you don't want to think about what you are drinking.  Just fun and enjoyable.  Like a bowl of cinnamon ice cream....

11 hours ago, Theiano said:

I opened up the seasoned wood I found yesterday, and I certainly think it is a great pour. 

image.jpeg

Never did see that one around here. Enjoy!

14 hours ago, icarus625 said:

20170617_161516.jpg

I've seen it in KY.

Went to a small plates restaurant with some friends last night (Louvino's) and the food was awesome.  Started with a pour of Michter's.  After dinner we retired to one of the couples decks for some Chocolate Pecan Pie from Homemade Pie & Ice Cream Kitchen, which paired nicely with a pour of WSR.  They had a bottle of Kirkland's (Costco brand) so I gave it a try.  It says it's bottled in Clermont/Frankfort which means it's a Beam product.  Age stated at 7 years and tastes like a sweeter, less oaky version of KC.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.