What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another lazy day on the patio, eating fresh raspberries and black berries for lunch, braising beef for poutine,  and sucking down some refrigerated HHBIB. DAMN, life is good.

Hmmm.

I got home from work today and decided to have a nice pour of my 2017 Sampler Weller Blend. There's not much left, so I'll be milking the remainder for a while. :P

Cheers! Joe

31 minutes ago, troyce said:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  Whew!

Your one post this year Jimmy?

About time I tried these SBS.

c8acb75a9bf015200ecc7439fc7188db.jpg

I want to say the old bottle is better but I honestly can't discern any noticeable difference. It must be my pallet they are both awesome.

Tonight is a replay of last night - 4R Private Select OBSO while Mets play the Nats in WashDC only last night I couldn't remember WHICH PS I was drinking and Nats were playing the Cards.  Proof? Check back tomorrow.B)

Worked like a dog all day in the yard. My reward: KCSB and an Ashton Symmetry while watching the stars come out.

After doing a SBS of the new vs old bottle of W12 enjoying some great bottom shelf stuff I hadn't consumed in a while. EWBIB and early version bottle of WT101.

Everyone in the neighborhood is celebrating the 4th of July tonight.  Actually, they have been all weekend!  Me too!  No fireworks, just a traditional American Whiskey, Knob Creek.  

Not sure what is on deck for the actual 4th of July.  Something good since I will start my 7-day abstinence after tomorrow.  I try to work in a one- to two-week abstinence every few months.

Since I picked up a new Barterhouse today I went back to the open bottle I had of it that I've nursed for a long time. It had been a while. I forgot how much I like this stuff. For 20 years I don't think it's all that oaky. I really like the minty finish.

30 minutes ago, Clueby said:

For 20 years I don't think it's all that oaky. 

It has been heavily filtered to remove the most offensive tannic flavors. I also don't find it too oaky and my palate is very sensitive to tannins from over aging.

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

It has been heavily filtered to remove the most offensive tannic flavors. I also don't find it too oaky and my palate is very sensitive to tannins from over aging.

Wasn't aware of the filtering but that makes sense. It's a very "soft" bourbon. Do you have knowledge of the specific filtering techniques that "remove the most offensive tannic flavors"? I assumed just maybe chill filtering and the water added to bring it to proof were all that was done to it.

Spoiler

Just watched my neighborhood blow off $$$$$ worth of fireworks while smoking a Rocky Patel Decades & drinking CEHTSmB.  Happy 4th to you all, if a day early.

21 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Wasn't aware of the filtering but that makes sense. It's a very "soft" bourbon. Do you have knowledge of the specific filtering techniques that "remove the most offensive tannic flavors"? I assumed just maybe chill filtering and the water added to bring it to proof were all that was done to it.

It's more than chill filtering. I forget the specific name of the filter type (and I was just talking about it with a friend a few weeks ago - sorry about that.) Your description of "soft" is exactly how I describe it. All of the bourbons that are known or are rumored to be heavily filtered have the exact same flavor characteristic. Michter's is one of them. My friend was at an event at Michter's and none other then Willie Pratt was telling him about the filtration they use. My friend knows a thing or two about these filters since he uses them in his own business (not liquor related). He asked probing questions and got further clarification. I don't know for a fact that Diego does the same, but the exact same flavor character is present in the Orphan Barrels, the older Michter's, and the older Jeffereson's - all of them being older sourced bourbons. In contrast, a Willett 23 yr old bourbon I have, which is not filtered, has none of these characteristics. The heavily filtered character is so identifiable that I've picked it out and properly identified it in double blind tastings.

I don't say any of this to denigrate Barterhouse. It's a good whiskey for the price.

Starting out a weeks vacation at Lake of the Woods (Northern Minnesota/Ontario, had a good afternoon/evening of fishing, and now relaxing with a Four Roses OBSV 9 years 7 months on the rocks.  Moving on to Elijah Craig18.  Have a good evening!

IMG_0273.JPG

1995 WT 8/101. Opened tonight. Cork was dry, broke and stuck. Decanted into an empty bottle filtering out the broken pieces of cork. Damn good. 

8 hours ago, Phil T said:

Your one post this year Jimmy?

Since he's retired now Phil, we may see 2, possibly 3 posts (odds are higher if he's drinking the barrel proof stuff)

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Since he's retired now Phil, we may see 2, possibly 3 posts (odds are higher if he's drinking the barrel proof stuff)

Hahaha, I didn't know that Gary! Time will tell right ;)

14 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

About time I tried these SBS.

c8acb75a9bf015200ecc7439fc7188db.jpg

I want to say the old bottle is better but I honestly can't discern any noticeable difference. It must be my pallet they are both awesome.

I did a blind SBS of the new W12 & RY10 and preferred the RY10. Fine with me as W12 is a ghost in my market and RY10 is somewhat available.

Lazy morning on the patio with my steak and eggs breakfast. Washed it down with some WSR.  I don't know why, but I only want a wheater with breakfast. But if I am having a bloody, it has to be with a ryed bourbon or MC.

11 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Starting out a weeks vacation at Lake of the Woods (Northern Minnesota/Ontario, had a good afternoon/evening of fishing, and now relaxing with a Four Roses OBSV 9 years 7 months on the rocks.  Moving on to Elijah Craig18.  Have a good evening!

I'm guessing the US side since you're from Minnesota, and have more than one bottle? :lol:  Either way, enjoy the bourbons, and have a great week fishing. By the way Chris, I wouldn't mind seeing some fishing pics. ;)

Cheers! Joe

It's a holiday.  Bourbon with breakfast is ok, right?

Oh well.

Forgot for a minute how much I love this stuff.  After all the various 1792 morphations, variations, limitations (LE's ;)), & private picks,  I find that the "regular 'ole small batch" is still probably my favorite.

This bottle is exceptionally good!

IMAG2167.jpg

The Nats are pouring it on the Mets, it's after 1pm and it's a holiday anyway so it's time to break out the BT. I will have to bring up a jug from the bunker. Cheers.

I did a blind SBS of the new W12 & RY10 and preferred the RY10. Fine with me as W12 is a ghost in my market and RY10 is somewhat available.

They're different animals. The RY10 is more interesting and complex, sometimes though I want a pour of the W12. Just wish there was a version that is like 100+ proof with a couple more years.

14 hours ago, flahute said:

It's more than chill filtering. I forget the specific name of the filter type (and I was just talking about it with a friend a few weeks ago - sorry about that.) Your description of "soft" is exactly how I describe it. All of the bourbons that are known or are rumored to be heavily filtered have the exact same flavor characteristic. Michter's is one of them. My friend was at an event at Michter's and none other then Willie Pratt was telling him about the filtration they use. My friend knows a thing or two about these filters since he uses them in his own business (not liquor related). He asked probing questions and got further clarification. I don't know for a fact that Diego does the same, but the exact same flavor character is present in the Orphan Barrels, the older Michter's, and the older Jeffereson's - all of them being older sourced bourbons. In contrast, a Willett 23 yr old bourbon I have, which is not filtered, has none of these characteristics. The heavily filtered character is so identifiable that I've picked it out and properly identified it in double blind tastings.

I don't say any of this to denigrate Barterhouse. It's a good whiskey for the price.

Chuck C did a blog post about filtration recently, and there was another blog post from a different site that quoted Willie Pratt as saying they had 32 different filters they used. Probably not what purists want to hear but it's nice to get some acknowledgment from them that they do indeed use significant filtering for their older products:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2015/01/filtration-way-to-improve-whiskey-or.html?m=1

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2013/12/interview-with-michters-master-distiller-wille-pratt_122013/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.