What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

44 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Ha!  I know where you were!

IMG_8640.JPG

Funny - next time I'll turn to the folks around me and ask if they have heard of SB. 

It was a busy Friday night - I saw the manager when I was in there tonight, but he was off with some other folks.  I'll ask next time for more details about the 3 samples he had to pick from, and what they picked.  I know he was given only 3 to choose from. 

Staying in Frankfort KY with the family tonight... Planning on touring Buffalo Trace tomorrow before heading back to Missouri. Hit a couple liquor stores this evening to grab some bourbon we don't get in MO. Grabbed a few fifths of Heaven Hill 6yo BiB and some Very Old Barton BiB.

Was hoping to grab some Old Fitz BiB but struck out at Red Ball and at Capital Cellars... Anyone have suggestions on other places to check? Will be taking I64 back tomorrow if there's anywhere along that corridor to make a quick stop.

I got a four pack of that the other day. I'm not a big IPA fan in general but this stuff is very good.  I'm a fan of most things Founders. The barrel aging tamed the hop bitterness and also hid the 12.5% alcohol. Sorry..guess this should go in the beer thread.

Sorry to further derail but IPAs are probably my favorite style, can't stand beers like witbier and hefeweizen. I'm on a big bourbon barrel aged kick and liked this not to many IPA versions out there. That being said I prefer the stout bourbon barrel aged bottles.

Weller Special Reserve, Cocchi Vermouth di Torino.

Manhattans were needed.

9 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

Staying in Frankfort KY with the family tonight... Planning on touring Buffalo Trace tomorrow before heading back to Missouri. Hit a couple liquor stores this evening to grab some bourbon we don't get in MO. Grabbed a few fifths of Heaven Hill 6yo BiB and some Very Old Barton BiB.

Was hoping to grab some Old Fitz BiB but struck out at Red Ball and at Capital Cellars... Anyone have suggestions on other places to check? Will be taking I64 back tomorrow if there's anywhere along that corridor to make a quick stop.

I would check Evergreen Liquors and Westport Whiskey & Wine, both on the east side of Louisville, not too far off your path back to MO. In my opinion they're both better than the 2 you checked in Frankfort. I suppose timing is everything, but that's been my experience.

10 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

I believe Liquor Barn has W12 today

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

I got a four pack of that the other day. I'm not a big IPA fan in general but this stuff is very good.  I'm a fan of most things Founders. The barrel aging tamed the hop bitterness and also hid the 12.5% alcohol. Sorry..guess this should go in the beer thread.

I picked up a 4-pack of Doom, had 1, but wasnt thrilled by it. I just finished off the KBS I cellared for a year, & it was incredible. Im thinking Ill let the Doom age for 6-8 months, & see what happens. It will lose a lot of the hop but it may make all the different flavors meld a little more. 

Thanks to all who commented with suggestions on places to stop on our way through Louisville. We stopped at Westport Whiskey & Wine and I left with a couple hundred dollars worth of bourbon and a bottle of wine for the wife... Gotta keep the better half happy you know!

Picked up several bottles of Old Fitzgerald BiB in both 1.75 and 1 liter sizes along with a few other selections. I'll post later with some pictures.

Thanks again for the assist on a successful bourbon hunt!

Cheers!

I picked up a spare bottle of EH Taylor Small Batch.  There is always some of that delicious liquid located at my home.

af13be7e26823404e4a72df8c7dea018.jpg

Had a pretty good last few days. Now I'll be stocked up for 4th of July vacation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other day had a run of 3 store picks - 1792 FP from Liquor Barn, and 1792 SB (not expecting much but wanted another for comparision to the other 1792 variants) and KCSB from Mammoth Liquors.  And W12 appears to be everywhere I'm not......

22 hours ago, Theiano said:

Found this on a shelf when out and about, was surprised to see it, and never tasted it so I figured it was worth a shot. I've read good and bad about it although the four grain seems to be getting worse reviews this year.

Seasoned wood.JPG

Great find at a reasonable price.

Had to drive to South Carolina today, and decided to do a little hunting since I hadn't done any in a while.  Not much of a haul to speak of but I did get these 2 bad boys (yeah I know, one is a rye).  Pretty pumped about the Old Scout as I haven't seen anything over 10 years old yet.

20170624_193651.jpg

I recently acquired this 1992 Pre-fire Evan Williams 10 Year old...going to open it this summer at a friends beach house to celebrate a special occasion.

PSX_20170512_165327.jpg

4 minutes ago, icarus625 said:

I recently acquired this 1992 Pre-fire Evan Williams 10 Year old...going to open it this summer at a friends beach house to celebrate a special occasion.

PSX_20170512_165327.jpg

Take a back-up...Those older 1783s can be asparagus bombs...:D  

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Take a back-up...Those older 1783s can be asparagus bombs...:D  

Hahaha, isn't that the chance we always take? I'll bring 3:)

Think I did ok. Stopped at B&B in Kingsport on way back to VA from Asheville.  Had 4 of these on the list. 1 impulse buy on thomas' recommendation. 

IMG_5052.JPG

Normally, I wouldn't post when buying run of the mill stuff but it was a good deal and maybe other Indy area folks can partake.

My local Kroger (Brownsburg) had a two day sale (June 23 and 24) discounting all liquor 30%, if you buy six or more bottles (of any size).  They normally run basic stuff at good prices so I was looking to pick up a few bottles soon any way.  Ended up getting a couple of bottles KC 9-year for $18.88 each, a KC rye for the same and a Larceny for $18.18.  I bought a couple of cheap mix type bottles for my wife.  She likes that kind of stuff and they were only about $8.00 each after the discount!

I had seen a post about a similar sale at Kroger (unannounced) so you have to visit the store.  However, this was the first time they have had it at our local store.

Been wanting to try this, but didn't want to spend the money to get a 750 ML bottle.  Found this 375 mL bottle for $16, so thought I would buy it and give it a try.

IMG_5745.JPG

28 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Been wanting to try this, but didn't want to spend the money to get a 750 ML bottle.  Found this 375 mL bottle for $16, so thought I would buy it and give it a try.

IMG_5745.JPG

I have never seen a WTRB 375 ml bottle.  That bottle looks like a handful! :lol:

IMG_5745.thumb.JPG.5bda446284f0424cbd8d05d32143272c.JPG

Now you are going to be hooked. That is some
Good stuff and you can find it anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to further derail but IPAs are probably my favorite style, can't stand beers like witbier and hefeweizen. I'm on a big bourbon barrel aged kick and liked this not to many IPA versions out there. That being said I prefer the stout bourbon barrel aged bottles.

Have u tried the Founders Doom? It's a bourbon barrel aged IPA imperial (I believe). I have a few in the fridge but have yet to Crack one yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have never seen a WTRB 375 ml bottle.  That bottle looks like a handful! :lol:

I have one from the gift shop, signed by Jimmy.  They are out there.

IMG_1822_2.jpg

Have u tried the Founders Doom? It's a bourbon barrel aged IPA imperial (I believe). I have a few in the fridge but have yet to Crack one yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ha yes it was actually how this discussion started, me mentioning a purchase of it. Really good stuff but for bourbon barrel aged beer, I think I prefer the stouts. However Doom is a nice occasional change.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.