Rumors

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

Take that barrel info down! Don’t compromise your future chances at a pick. 

16 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Joe thank you. Please don't put your ass on the line.. edit while you can. 

Done. 

• I like it 5

To all the ER fans,

If BT ever changes the age, they will have to change the label too; no conspiracy.  Everyone that cares will know.

If BT ever started putting mash bill #2 into some ER bottles - guess what I'd be stocking up on.  Please private message me where I can buy this.  Ha-ha

• I like it 2

Joe, 

thanks for bringing the information here and sharing it. The cut sheet on the WSR was good stuff. 

Regarding the mixing if mash bills and the juice still being ‘KSBW’ , Four Roses does that all the time and still puts KSBW on the label. 

11 hours ago, BigRich said:

Not to sound like a dick but all I got from that concerning your rumors Joe is that ER is not going away. Dropping the 10 year, mixing the mashbills or having WSR be made of pretty young barrels could all be true and not be in conflict with what they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, your name is Richard :D...Regardless, I interpreted the response the same as you. 

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A simple thank you would have sufficed. :angry: I post some great information, and the first two posts afterward show skepticism and doubt, rather than acceptance.

I didn't ask about the age statement concerning ER 10 because that hasn't been mentioned here recently. Besides, it's been covered here before.

Joe

I would like to refer you to the first line of my post where I do thank you for posting the information.  With an exclamation point no less! :) No idea why you interpreted that as anything less then sincere. 

Skepticism and doubt? How so?  I  accepted everything you posted, questioned nothing, and simply pointed out that the information provided did not contain a guarantee that ER would keep it's age statement.  Which, by the way, you confirmed by stating you did not ask about the ER age statement. 

Age statements are discussed ad nauseam on this forum.  Off the top of my head I can recall past discussions/posts about EC12, ECBP, VOB6, FC6. HMK10, ER10 etc . . . In all of these situations the issue was whether the age statement would be dropped and not whether the bourbon would be discontinued.   I do not recall any threads where it has been speculated that ER will be discontinued entirely.  

Out of curiosity, if Buffalo Trace were to announce today that Eagle Rare will be dropping its 10 year age statement would you feel like your contact source lied to you?  If that answer is no (which I assume it would be, since you didn't ask that question) then why jump down my throat for pointing out that the discontinued age statement rumor was not put to rest?

• I like it 2

I would like to refer to my original post.

There's been some rumors and speculation about a couple of things regarding BT lately. ER10 is going away. ER10 is a mix of mash bills. Weller SR is only 4 years old. I decided to reach out to one of my contacts at BT to see if I could dispel some of these rumors. So here it is, straight for the horses mouth.

Nowhere in my post did I mention anything about ER losing its age statement. You and Rich brought that up.

Not to sound like a dick but all I got from that concerning your rumors Joe is that ER is not going away. Dropping the 10 year, mixing the mashbills or having WSR be made of pretty young barrels could all be true and not be in conflict with what they said.

Thanks for the info! Not trying to be difficult, but I do note that the response regarding ER does not necessarily confirm that ER will be keeping its 10 year age statement.

Yes you thanked me, but you brought up ER losing its age statement. And like I said in my response, I didn't ask about ER losing its age statement because it hasn't been mentioned here lately, and it has already been discussed. At length!

If ER announced it was losing it's age statement, so be it. I would still trust my contact. There was no way for my contact to lie to me because that topic was never brought up! 

Joe

On 11/14/2017 at 8:31 PM, BigRich said:

Not to sound like a dick but all I got from that concerning your rumors Joe is that ER is not going away. Dropping the 10 year, mixing the mashbills or having WSR be made of pretty young barrels could all be true and not be in conflict with what they said.

Just a quick question, Big Guy...

What constitutes a 'pretty' barrel?    I understand 'young' well enough; but I'm wondering if a bunch of really straight-grain staves, or a minimum of leaks, or a really flatly hammered bung... or what, really does it for you?  :lol:

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I would like to refer to my original post.

There's been some rumors and speculation about a couple of things regarding BT lately. ER10 is going away. ER10 is a mix of mash bills. Weller SR is only 4 years old. I decided to reach out to one of my contacts at BT to see if I could dispel some of these rumors. So here it is, straight for the horses mouth.

Nowhere in my post did I mention anything about ER losing its age statement. You and Rich brought that up.

Not to sound like a dick but all I got from that concerning your rumors Joe is that ER is not going away. Dropping the 10 year, mixing the mashbills or having WSR be made of pretty young barrels could all be true and not be in conflict with what they said.

Thanks for the info! Not trying to be difficult, but I do note that the response regarding ER does not necessarily confirm that ER will be keeping its 10 year age statement.

Yes you thanked me, but you brought up ER losing its age statement. And like I said in my response, I didn't ask about ER losing its age statement because it hasn't been mentioned here lately, and it has already been discussed. At length!

If ER announced it was losing it's age statement, so be it. I would still trust my contact. There was no way for my contact to lie to me because that topic was never brought up! 

Joe

In fairness Joe, there were several posts over the weekend in the "Purchase" thread regarding a rumor that the 10 yr age statement was being dropped from ER.  Also, it was a mutual BT contact of ours who told a group at Sampler that some  BT#2 was going into ER 10.  So, some conflicting info there.  And really, the answer from the BT person you quoted left a lot of gaps in their responses that left a lot to individual interpretations.  

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

In fairness Joe, there were several posts over the weekend in the "Purchase" thread regarding a rumor that the 10 yr age statement was being dropped from ER.  Also, it was a mutual BT contact of ours who told a group at Sampler that some  BT#2 was going into ER 10.  So, some conflicting info there.  And really, the answer from the BT person you quoted left a lot of gaps in their responses that left a lot to individual interpretations.  

I try my best to to provide useful and insightful information for the site. In other words, I'm just trying to do my job. As easy as that sounds, it ain't. I'll take the high road here and say that I was wrong, and everybody else was right. My bad. I hope that will satisfy everyone. In the future, if I receive any pertinent information from my contacts, I'll just keep it to myself and let all the rumors and such play out as they will. 'Nuff ced.  

Joe

8 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

I very much appreciated your time and effort put into tracking down answers Joe.

Thanks J. Much appreciated.

Cheeers! Joe

• I like it 2

^^^^As do I, Joe!  I always love saying that I know a little bit about a lot, but not a lot about anything!  The cumulative knowledge of the group is what continues to make SB a great resource.  

My personal policy is to obtain as much information as I can get, accept what I'm given (as well as what one may chose not to provide), attempt to cut through the BS, and make the rest up!  ;)

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I try my best to to provide useful and insightful information for the site. In other words, I'm just trying to do my job. As easy as that sounds, it ain't. I'll take the high road here and say that I was wrong, and everybody else was right. My bad. I hope that will satisfy everyone. In the future, if I receive any pertinent information from my contacts, I'll just keep it to myself and let all the rumors and such play out as they will. 'Nuff ced.  

Joe

Contributing to the discourse on this site isn't a "job", Joe.  It shouldn't be "hard".  There's no obligation to do so, and no need to "satisfy everyone".  It's more about sharing ones own experiences and opinions, rather than a right/wrong proposition.  Simply, it's an act of being part of the community.  Yours, and everyone's, information is relished here, so please continue to share.

• I like it 2

46 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe

I am very sorry to see this in print, but it is completely understood on my part.  My two cents is to share what you want to share with the people you wish to, and do not worry about all the others.  It sucks that people pick nits and poke holes in information they receive, but that is just people as a group...not individuals.  I can bet there were quite a few people that read your post(s) and learned a lot without saying anything at all.

Thank you for posting what you did.  It is people like you and posts like that which make this one of the best places online where I spend my time.

Edited by Radioyada

42 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Contributing to the discourse on this site isn't a "job", Joe.  It shouldn't be "hard".  There's no obligation to do so, and no need to "satisfy everyone".  It's more about sharing ones own experiences and opinions, rather than a right/wrong proposition.  Simply, it's an act of being part of the community.  Yours, and everyone's, information is relished here, so please continue to share.

I beg to differ Joe. Yes I'm a member here, but I'm also a moderator. I think that this type of interaction is  a part of my job here. I believe that kinda makes a difference whether you or anyone else thinks so or not. 

Just a quick question, Big Guy...
What constitutes a 'pretty' barrel?    I understand 'young' well enough; but I'm wondering if a bunch of really straight-grain staves, or a minimum of leaks, or a really flatly hammered bung... or what, really does it for you?  :lol:

Don't confuse pretty with sexy.

Again, nothing in my initial post or reply was intended to incite or create an argument.  As we all know tone can be very hard to interpret on places such as a message board.   

Water under the bridge.  Let's move on and get back to the bourbon! 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, BigRich said:

Don't confuse pretty with sexy.

Oooooops!     My bad.    I generally find pretty girls sexy; but to your point, some are less sexy than others.     I shall try to be more careful in the future, Big Guy!

So, back to the original question; What makes a barrel seem 'sexy' to you?   :blink:    Just being nosy (and thorough).   HA!  :lol:

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

. . . In the future, if I receive any pertinent information from my contacts, I'll just keep it to myself and let all the rumors and such play out as they will. 'Nuff ced.  

Joe

Note to self - Stay out of this; you know you just throw gas on bonfires whether you mean to or not.:(

NEVERTHELESS! :o As a great American wrote once about another Chicago area person, "Say it ain't so, Joe!"  Please don't keep "IT" to your own self.  In an age of Twitter, Facebook, news trolling, alternative facts, and perfidy (whatever the hell THAT is), we need persons who are willing to ante up whatever solid info they possess and in the name of all that is good and pure, like straight bourbon, NOT CHOOSE TO suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and remain silent and fester alone in the bowels of a bunker BUT RATHER TO step up and defend the good and pure by exposing one's self (figuratively, not literally, of course:unsure:) to attacks from outside while sharing hard-won knowledge gleaned through honest toil.    The latter course, of course, means that those timid souls, like me, on the sidelines get to add your hard-won knowledge to our OWN body of knowledge even if we don't pick and choose, and THUS, are better informed than if we were NOT watching someone like you light one little candle so that we would not fret in darkness.:rolleyes:

Can you tell I've been trying to finish off my 750 of Hudson Baby Bourbon?  Helluva a task early on a Friday evening.  Even the cats won't help.  Bummer.:ph34r:

• I like it 5

Joe, I appreciate everything you do for the community including these types of insight that you provide. I was only pointing out the very careful way that some of the responses you received were worded and how they still leave a fair amount of wiggle room. No bad intentions toward you on my part at all. The first drink at the Gazebo in April is on me.

• I like it 3

Joe, I agree with Harry.  This board serves many purposes and for me, one of the primary benefits is the knowledge that comes out of the distilleries to the board. It’s a huge benefit to me to be ahead of the curve on many topics. It’s also fantastic to read about history, changes, improvements and perspectives. I hope you reflect and reconsider. I will surely miss your insight if you don’t reconsider. 

I am a lawyer by trade and tend to naturally pick apart statements in my regular life as it’s tough to turn off my legal training. My read on the exchange that caused the dust up was that it was a misalignment of objectives. The board has been very active and I get “thread merge” where I read a lot of threads and don’t remember that they are individual exchanges. The threads can overlap and I forget which thread goes where. I saw the questions about mashbill 2 going into ER and also the store owner or distributor saying ER store picks going away. When I saw your post about the mashbills not changing and ER not going away or losing its age statement I thought “great” as it is one of my favorite daily drinkers and I keep a good bit of it on hand. As a lawyer, I noted to myself that your post didn’t address the store pick or blended mashbill comment, but I didn’t post because I didn’t think that you were trying to answer all questions. I’ll take good info when I can get it and be glad for it. I’m sorry the exchange was upsetting. Unlike a lot of the internet, SB has very few trolls. I don’t personally know the guys who upset you but I didn’t get the feeling they were malicious. I can say for certain that your contributions have helped and continue to help me enjoy my passion for bourbon, and I sure many, many others as well. 

Thank you so much for moderating and contributing to the board. 

• I like it 5

Big Rich posted while I was typing. His post is consistent with my read, but I wanted to point out I was following Harry’s post and hadn’t read Rich’s when I wrote my post. 

On 11/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, Radioyada said:

I can bet there were quite a few people that read your post(s) and learned a lot without saying anything at all.

I can relate to this.  And want to say thank you for your efforts to provide any info we did not have.

On 11/18/2017 at 6:29 PM, chappy6107 said:

I can relate to this.  And want to say thank you for your efforts to provide any info we did not have.

Me, too!!!! 

Joe,  I hope you don't take the criticism of a few (mostly about the careful parsing of words from BT as far as I can tell, not so much about your gathering of info, or interpretation of same, I believe) too much to heart my friend.  

The site would suffer, as would all who enjoy it for the free exchange it allows.    ...And, I agree with the comment above by Charlie about how few trolls we endure here compared to . . . well, almost everywhere else I guess.

Thanx for all you do and certainly for the insights you have gathered from sources most of us have not cultivated.    It is MUCH appreciated by . . . ME, for sure; and I bet many, many others, Joe.

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.