Is Weller coming back in good supply or is this just a fluke?

ShapeshifterK10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There will come a time when the greatly increased production results in better availability but we are a bit early for all but SR, they crank that stuff out the millisecond its legal. The OWA and 12 will become more common in the years ahead and a calming of bourbon fever wouldn't hurt either. the 12 is obvious but without an age statement I don't know the age on OWA, hard to believe the proof diff alone results in such a different and IMO, MUCH better flavor. OWA is no 12 yrs so I would think that one will be next to show up more frequently and I wouldn't mind a bit as its my favorite by far of the trio.

W12 is my current favorite of the trio, but I've picked up some PS OWA recently that I plan on opening at least one of this weekend, so maybe I'll be conflicted after trying a single barrel OWA. I believe the OWA is currently somewhere between 6 and 8 years old, but have nothing to really base that on.

I agree that the WSR these days is probably exactly 4 years old, and is too young for my tastes. Hopefully we'll see both the WSR and OWA start to gain some age in a few years as capacity expansion adds sufficient stocks of older bourbon in barrels in the rickhouses.

We are currently well stocked with WSR in my area, and have been for the past year in most stores. OWA is still sporadic, but I've seen substantially more this year than last year. If you want some, you may have to wait between times that it shows up, but it's not that hard to get a few bottles of OWA at retail prices. W12 is still a tougher bottle to find, but if you are a regular customer at a few stores, you can probably get a bottle. I was more successful finding W12 this year than last year, but it still took some effort building relationships throughout the year as well as a little luck to find all of the ones I was able to get. I also passed on some grossly overpriced W12 in several stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

On 11/7/2017 at 9:19 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

I drink 90% of my bourbon neat in a glencairs, but chilled WSR over a large cube in a lowball with a dash of orange bitters is really enjoyable in the summer sun!  It's my lazy man cocktail.

I just tried that and it is delicious. Thanks!

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

There will come a time when the greatly increased production results in better availability but we are a bit early for all but SR, they crank that stuff out the millisecond its legal.

What kind of age range are we talking for SR?

ps - I see lcpfratn has already answered that.

Edited by DCFan

I have to respectfully disagree with Kevin and Jeff here. Both OWA and Weller SR used to be age stated at 7 years old. Regardless of circumstances/the bourbon boom, I really don't think that BT would just start bottling the SR the minute it becomes 4 years old. It sure as hell ain't Jim Beam White. <_< I honestly think they try and bottle it as close to 7 years old as they can. I personally think it's probably somewhere in the the 5 to 6 year age range. Just my thoughts. 

Cheers! Joe 

I have to respectfully disagree with Kevin and Jeff here. Both OWA and Weller SR used to be age stated at 7 years old. Regardless of circumstances/the bourbon boom, I really don't think that BT would just start bottling the SR the minute it becomes 4 years old. It sure as hell ain't Jim Beam White. <_ honestly think they try and bottle it as close to years old can. i personally probably in the year age range. just my thoughts.>  
Cheers! Joe 

OK Joe, I concede that WSR may be as old as 4 years plus a couple of days instead of just 4 years. [emoji6]

Just kidding! You're probably correct that the youngest barrels are at least 5 years old, but I really doubt it is much more unless some of the most recent batches have a little bit more age on average. This is a batch blend of different ages, so the youngest bourbon used to be 7 years old when it had an age statement. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some barrels under 5 years old in the recent batches, which is probably why we are seeing more WSR this year. I have yet to try the recent batches, although I have recently purchased a couple to use in GW4G blend, so I'll have to give it a try again. The WSR bottles I've bought in the past few years, however, have tasted very young and harsh to me, and that's my only basis for estimating an overall use of younger barrels.

On a related note, I opened one of my recent OWA PS bottles last night and I was very impressed. That was a good buy for $26.99 each. Hopefully the other PS bottles that I bought at another store for closer to $30 is just as good or better. I don't know what the ages on these PS barrels were, but they probably were less than 7, but maybe not.

Cheers! Jeff

This topic, along with the speculation in another thread that ER has been changed or might be going away, has made me curious to say the least. I have a couple of contacts at BT that have been helpful to me in the past. I'll get in touch with them and see if I can get any definitive information. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I do promise to at least try.

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 6

SR is easy to find in West Tennessee. And 107 is a close second. But there is NO 12 year any where to be found. It’s killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pthorpe84 said:

SR is easy to find in West Tennessee. And 107 is a close second. But there is NO 12 year any where to be found. It’s killing me.

Don't you mean East Tennessee? Anyway, W12 is unlikely to be found on any shelves unless it's marked up to a high price. Your best bet is to build relationships with a few stores by being a regular customer and letting them know you are interested in W12 and other items. You may have already missed W12 for this year since it's already hit West Tennessee, and I believe Middle Tennessee. 

15 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Don't you mean East Tennessee? Anyway, W12 is unlikely to be found on any shelves unless it's marked up to a high price. Your best bet is to build relationships with a few stores by being a regular customer and letting them know you are interested in W12 and other items. You may have already missed W12 for this year since it's already hit West Tennessee, and I believe Middle Tennessee. 

Havent spotted one12  in Middle TN .. had to go east to chatts.

Havent spotted one12  in Middle TN .. had to go east to chatts.

Just because you didn't spot one doesn't mean it hasn't already hit and been sold secretly from behind the counter. I'm actually going to be in Franklin later this week and I'll ask around to see if any stores have received any. I'm not really looking for any more since I was able to score a few last week in West TN with a bit of work all year and some luck as well. Good luck if it hasn't hit your area yet.

7 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Just because you didn't spot one doesn't mean it hasn't already hit and been sold secretly from behind the counter. I'm actually going to be in Franklin later this week and I'll ask around to see if any stores have received any. I'm not really looking for any more since I was able to score a few last week in West TN with a bit of work all year and some luck as well. Good luck if it hasn't hit your area yet.

Probably right but its not for a lack of trying. Interested to hear what you find 

On November 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

This topic, along with the speculation in another thread that ER has been changed or might be going away, has made me curious to say the least. I have a couple of contacts at BT that have been helpful to me in the past. I'll get in touch with them and see if I can get any definitive information. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I do promise to at least try.

Cheers! Joe

Message sent, and answer received. :) For more information, check out my post in the rumors thread.

Cheers! Joe

On 11/9/2017 at 7:09 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Just puttin' in my two cents here. FWIW, and with a couple of exceptions, I've seen and purchased more Weller's from various stores in the last three months or so, than I have in the last two or three years. I'm a happy camper to say the least. I can't help but look at this as a good sign. Weller whore that I am, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Don't tell the Weller whore that I married!  We just took a "special" trip to a liquor store while we were in Vegas to try to find some Weller.  We haven't had luck by us yet, but he will stock up given the opportunity!

• I like it 2

Probably right but its not for a lack of trying. Interested to hear what you find 

FYI - W12 hit some of the Franklin, TN shops yesterday, and it's likely all gone or spoken for.

I was in middle Georgia this weekend and there was plenty of WSR. Fifths for $16.99, family size for $34.99. Some of it was in the older bottle. No OWA or 12 to be seen, but green label was plentiful. 

Hope the day comes when I walk in a shop and see a dozen OWA for $28.99 and I say ‘nah, I’ve got plenty’. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, ShapeshifterK10 said:

In the past there had been a limit one per customer sign for Weller SR.

This just blows my mind.

• I like it 1

On 11/9/2017 at 9:00 PM, tarheel said:

I remember the good old days when NC ABC stores had shelves of OWA five years ago.....it basically vanished overnight and we never see it around here, although I think a couple of cases pop up about twice a year. I have literally had better luck winning PVW 15 in lotteries (one last year and this year) than in finding a single bottle of OWA. We do have ER, BT, and Blanton's most times though. I think it is a regional issue that I still haven't figured out. Thanks goodness MM does it for me.

I have gotten a couple bottles of the 107/OWA this year in NC.  You need someone at a store looking out for you.  I know 12yr is in the state.  Mecklenburg county has included it in their lottery.  Price?  $29.95.  I actually prefer the 107.  I think the extra proof makes this whiskey.

On 11/11/2017 at 12:47 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I have to respectfully disagree with Kevin and Jeff here. Both OWA and Weller SR used to be age stated at 7 years old. Regardless of circumstances/the bourbon boom, I really don't think that BT would just start bottling the SR the minute it becomes 4 years old. It sure as hell ain't Jim Beam White. <_< I honestly think they try and bottle it as close to 7 years old as they can. I personally think it's probably somewhere in the the 5 to 6 year age range. Just my thoughts. 

Cheers! Joe 

Saw your WSR info in a separate post Joe. THANK YOU!! for posting that and I hope you incurred no negative repercussions. I was simply venting on the SR a bit as I have zero actual evidence to go by other than how it tastes to me. It was a perfectly serviceable 9.99/750 pour/mixer but in the current environment?  Ahh no, the fawning over it and the pricing just make me shake my head and move on.  I think low proof wheaters and I just don't get along with the  exceptions of W12 and maybe Larceny.  I have never met a MM expression I care for either...at all, at any proof so... different stokes as they say.  I would have enjoyed a SBS of AS WSR vs NAS though, just for scientific purposes you know LOL!! Cheers and Happy Holidays.

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Saw your WSR info in a separate post Joe. THANK YOU!! for posting that and I hope you incurred no negative repercussions. I was simply venting on the SR a bit as I have zero actual evidence to go by other than how it tastes to me. It was a perfectly serviceable 9.99/750 pour/mixer but in the current environment?  Ahh no, the fawning over it and the pricing just make me shake my head and move on.  I think low proof wheaters and I just don't get along with the  exceptions of W12 and maybe Larceny.  I have never met a MM expression I care for either...at all, at any proof so... different stokes as they say.  I would have enjoyed a SBS of AS WSR vs NAS though, just for scientific purposes you know LOL!! Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Talk about timing Kevin. I got home from work today, did a few things around the house, then settled in to read the site with a couple of pours from a ps Weller SR. FWIW, it's 6 years 8 months old. :D

My gateway bourbon was MM. I still like it, but not as much as I used to. I guess finding Weller's put a damper on that. I like the MMCS better than regular MM, but to tell the truth, I haven't had either in a while now, even though I have bottles of both in my bunker.

When HH came out with Larceny, I jumped on the band wagon. I bought a bottle and liked it. So I bought a few more bottles. The rebates they offered back then really helped. Only two (?) per house hold, but my son, brother in law and father in law helped me out some. ;) For a while, I was awash in Larceny. It also didn't hurt any that the store I got them from had the 1.75's priced as liters instead of 1.75's. I did bring this to the store managers attention. He said, "That's the price the computer says." Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?  After that initial rush, and a bottle here and there, I also haven't had Larceny in a while. None in the bunker now either. 

Not long after I got into bourbon, I luckily discovered Weller's. The rest is history, as they say. As my signature says, "I never met a Weller I didn't like."  I truly like a lot of different bourbons, but Weller's are my favorites. I've done a couple of impromptu sbs's with old bottle/label and new bottle/label Weller's with other folks. They included both novice and experienced bourbon drinkers. The newer bottlings of OWA and Weller SR were favored over the old in both, but it wasn't unanimous. As far as Weller 12 goes, it was a split decision. I have to be honest here and say that I myself favored the "new" version on one occasion, but the next time I liked the "old" better. :huh:  What can I say? 

Like you said, different strokes for different folks. I truly understand, and actually appreciate that everyone's tastes are different. Mine included. 

Sláinte! Joe

• I like it 1

I stocked up on OWA a few years ago while looking for W12.  Never found much W12 but luckily I found that I prefer the OWA 100x more.  Acquired two OWA store picks this year, and both have been great.  I try to keep all three variants open behind the bar for friends but the only bottle of W12 I actually put eyes on this year was 59.99 so when the bunker runs out I won't replace unless prices come back down.

As with the other posters in this thread, I have seen a lot of WSR this year.  Sadly a bunch of it was at lotteries...

I've never done any vatting before but I have 2 decanters now.  I'm thinking its time to try the OWA/W12 SB blend and the WSR/OGD114 Grandpa Weller.

• I like it 1

Yes. East TN. My apologies.

I stocked up on OWA a few years ago while looking for W12.  Never found much W12 but luckily I found that I prefer the OWA 100x more.  Acquired two OWA store picks this year, and both have been great.  I try to keep all three variants open behind the bar for friends but the only bottle of W12 I actually put eyes on this year was 59.99 so when the bunker runs out I won't replace unless prices come back down.

As with the other posters in this thread, I have seen a lot of WSR this year.  Sadly a bunch of it was at lotteries...

I've never done any vatting before but I have 2 decanters now.  I'm thinking its time to try the OWA/W12 SB blend and the WSR/OGD114 Grandpa Weller.

Do you have a link for the Grandpa Weller blend? I’d like to try that.

52 minutes ago, Pthorpe84 said:

Do you have a link for the Grandpa Weller blend? I’d like to try that.

See the vatting thread. It's either 50:50 of 60:40 in favor of WSR depending on your taste. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.