Empty bottle support group - 2018

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished a big jug of Tom Moore BiB.  FINALLY.  The more I drank it the more I disliked it.  Good riddance.

27 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Finished a big jug of Tom Moore BiB.  FINALLY.  The more I drank it the more I disliked it.  Good riddance.

Heehee!  I know that feeling when you hate a bottle.  It seems that the more you drink it, the fuller it gets!  :D  

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee!  I know that feeling when you hate a bottle.  It seems that the more you drink it, the fuller it gets!  :D  

My first bottles of Larceny and Rebel Yell 10 Year SB were like that.  Was my only RY10. I tried Larceny again with the same results. It was like..."just die already!"

14 hours ago, Clueby said:

My first bottles of Larceny and Rebel Yell 10 Year SB were like that.  Was my only RY10. I tried Larceny again with the same results. It was like..."just die already!"

I've only had one bottle of RY10 and thought it was almost undrinkable without a healthy splash of water. With water I thought it was actually decent. I'm with you on the Larceny. Drinks way too hot for a 92 proofer. I've given it a couple tries and I was not sorry to see the empties hit the recycle bin.

This D warehouse pick grew on me slowly. It was hitting the spot while I cooked spaghetti so I decided to drain it. 

7BDC2E3D-AEA6-4485-B195-EE0A5857BCFD.jpeg

• I like it 1

Another MM46 hits the bin. Not my favorite but it scratches my wheater itch when Weller is scarce. IMG_4293.thumb.jpg.f29f19b7dadf74cb61328973bb637e87.jpg

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

This D warehouse pick grew on me slowly. It was hitting the spot while I cooked spaghetti so I decided to drain it. 

7BDC2E3D-AEA6-4485-B195-EE0A5857BCFD.jpeg

This is what a Lawrenceburg man does. Good work.

Wow this KC Rye tastes so much better with the sticker on the back. Sad to see it go, ready to put another rye on the shelf.

IMG_5824.JPG

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow this KC Rye tastes so much better with the sticker on the back. Sad to see it go, ready to put another rye on the shelf.

IMG_5824.JPG

Ooo. 

You should save that magic sticker for the future. 

Just sayin.

"Big Man, Small Batch".  First of the "named batches" and, man, was this good!  So much depth and complexity yet so balanced.  Not hot like some Booker's batches can be, either.  A definite step above the Kentucky Chew that took its place.  I guess 7yr 2mo vs. 6yr 4mo does make a difference. 

Glad I've got one more in the bunker. 

bookers 15-1.jpg

I've had a plethora (there's one of my favorite words again ^_^) of low, and fairly low fill bottles on my open shelf for a while now. So, I've been in a bottle killing mode lately. 

Pic #1 is of a few bottles headed to the BBB. I finished off the OWA a while back, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out. :huh: A Thanksgiving gift of an OWA from my nephew, Galvin0791, made it easier to part with my empty OWA;)

Pic #2 is of a few ps bottlings that I have on deck to open. I have a ps ER open now, and as soon as I finish off a couple more semi-low fill bottles, these private selection bottles will be opened to go along side it. :)

As an explanation to some of you newer members, and a reminder to some of you old timers whose memory is as bad as mine, there's been times in the past where I've had themes as to what bottles I have open. Mostly wheaters, mostly BIB's, mostly BT, all odd balls and one offs, etc..  For the most part, I reckon my upcoming theme is gonna be private selections. FWIW, at least one fellow member here has (unknowingly) helped me out a lot with this upcoming endeavor. If any more of ya' want to jump in and help a brother out, just send me a pm. I'd be more than happy to oblige. :D

Biba! Joe

bb1.jpeg

od.jpeg

• I like it 2

I've had a plethora (there's one of my favorite words again [emoji5]) of low, and fairly low fill bottles on my open shelf for a while now. So, I've been in a bottle killing mode lately. 

Pic #1 is of a few bottles headed to the BBB. I finished off the OWA a while back, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out. :huh: A Thanksgiving gift of an OWA from my nephew, Galvin0791, made it easier to part with my empty OWA. [emoji6]

Pic #2 is of a few ps bottlings that I have on deck to open. I have a ps ER open now, and as soon as I finish off a couple more semi-low fill bottles, these private selection bottles will be opened to go along side it. [emoji4]

As an explanation to some of you newer members, and a reminder to some of you old timers whose memory is as bad as mine, there's been times in the past where I've had themes as to what bottles I have open. Mostly wheaters, mostly BIB's, mostly BT, all odd balls and one offs, etc..  For the most part, I reckon my upcoming theme is gonna be private selections. FWIW, at least one fellow member here has (unknowingly) helped me out a lot with this upcoming endeavor. If any more of ya' want to jump in and help a brother out, just send me a pm. I'd be more than happy to oblige. [emoji3]

Biba! Joe

bb1.jpeg.6d02185eed0ce08c68cec213cb3384e2.jpeg
od.jpeg.fb7798ebb0b08d4abaf6b7dda5da4386.jpeg

Hmmm...I think I might recognize a couple of those PS bottles. Enjoy!
  • I like it 1

Not going to miss this one. Was surprised it did not stack up at all to the saos single barrels I absolutely love. I do swear I get a bit of dickel taste out of this one. I won’t be buying another. IMG_2794.jpg

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Not going to miss this one. Was surprised it did not stack up at all to the saos single barrels I absolutely love. I do swear I get a bit of dickel taste out of this one. I won’t be buying another. IMG_2794.jpg

Just curious, what batch is that?  

16 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

GP.. is that a fair comparison? Thats not a single barrel right?  

Edited by FasterHorses

GP.. is that a fair comparison? Thats not a single barrel right?  

It may not be, but I was assuming it would be similar mgp and it certainly didn’t taste the same to me.

24 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

It may not be, but I was assuming it would be similar mgp and it certainly didn’t taste the same to me.

Does it have "Distilled in Indiana" on the label?

MGP also has several different bourbon mash bills.  So all their bourbon is not the same recipe.

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

Does it have "Distilled in Indiana" on the label?

MGP also has several different bourbon mash bills.  So all their bourbon is not the same recipe.

I have batch 6 open and, I have to say, it's the most unusual bourbon I have ever tasted.  First nosing delivers a distinct "Flintstones multi vitamin" smell.  I've never had Dickel, but I've read that it has this smell.  However, the Belle Meade cask strength reserve states "distilled in Indiana" on the label, so it's not Dickel juice.  What's interesting is that the vitamin smell, after the second sniff, transforms into a rich chocolate and fruity smell and the bourbon is quite deep and intense on the palate.  Despite its quirks, I'm really enjoying this bottle and am glad I bought two. 

IMG_1962.jpg The bottle I opened to celebrate our anniversary didn't even make it two months. It was good to the last drop. I'm saving my Old Fitz 11yr BIB to celebrate next year.

Last pour from this one tonight.  This was my first bottle of HPR and I have mixed feelings about it.  On its own, it's a quite nice bourbon, with an interesting smell and pleasant flavor.  However, it competes with some other, really excellent, BT mash bill #2 bourbons.  I would really rather drink RHF, ETL, or Blanton's than HPR.  Of course, all of these whiskies have become difficult to find in my neck of the woods.  So, if another bottle of HPR were to pop up at a reasonable price, I imagine that it would find it's way home with me!

HPR.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.