Empty bottle support group - 2018

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I had my one and only pour of OWA and ETL at a restaurant last week. So good! The OWA was the winner. 

I'm shocked, Joe! :o  You? :o  Picked OWA:o  Over a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g?  ;)   As I said; absolutely shocked.    I guess your nickname isn't any sort of kidding, eh? HA!  :lol:

Title doesn’t say empty bourbon bottle support group so...

IMG_5370.thumb.JPG.ea9518844c4965ef1393ece71ad7aadf.JPG

I bought this PS pick for $55. For a while I didn’t care for it but came back to it a month or so back and it really opened up nicely. The heavy rye spice I’ve also found holds up really well to a cigar so I’ve been enjoying the duo.

• I like it 1

Not "the ridiculous and the sublime" because I liked them both for different reasons.  If you look closely, you can see the remnants of Dave Pickerell's gold signature on the WP.  If you also look closely, you can see spare rib rub smeared on the outside of the CS handle.

BOTH are recyclable.

IMG_0348.JPG

• I like it 1

Not "the ridiculous and the sublime" because I liked them both for different reasons.  If you look closely, you can see the remnants of Dave Pickerell's gold signature on the WP.  If you also look closely, you can see spare rib rub smeared on the outside of the CS handle.

BOTH are recyclable.

IMG_0348.thumb.JPG.48b79768fc41d369c1ceb93f3ecd049f.JPG

How was the WP 15yr? I haven’t found one yet, and not sure that I want to spend the coin for one anyway, but if I do come across one, I was wondering if it’s anywhere close to worth it.

Been saving up empties for a bit. Taking them to a guy that makes candles tonight.  I emptied the last little dregs out of each bottle and got a small pour. Its.....unique...tasting.

20181013_175108.jpg

20181013_174142-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

How was the WP 15yr? I haven’t found one yet, and not sure that I want to spend the coin for one anyway, but if I do come across one, I was wondering if it’s anywhere close to worth it.

I think I paid a little over $100 for mine after a WP DP presentation and tasting at a local purveyor about two years ago.  Last I saw (like, several days ago when I wistfully wondered about getting a replacement),  Caskers will sell you one for about $450 IIRC.  I liked it at $100-120 to buy one and, maybe sort of wish -NOW, anyway - I'd bought some more, but at $440-450, no way. 

My big surprise was how much I loved it.  I'm partial to non-ryes and rarely sip ryes straight although ryes are my go-to base for cocktails.  The WP 15yr, however, was so creamy, complex, balanced, and aromatic that I almost never even put water or ice, let alone other stuff, in it.

SO, if I saw one for $100 or so, I'd buy it.  If I saw three, I'd buy one. 

I think I paid a little over $100 for mine after a WP DP presentation and tasting at a local purveyor about two years ago.  Last I saw (like, several days ago when I wistfully wondered about getting a replacement),  Caskers will sell you one for about $450 IIRC.  I liked it at $100-120 to buy one and, maybe sort of wish -NOW, anyway - I'd bought some more, but at $440-450, no way. 

My big surprise was how much I loved it.  I'm partial to non-ryes and rarely sip ryes straight although ryes are my go-to base for cocktails.  The WP 15yr, however, was so creamy, complex, balanced, and aromatic that I almost never even put water or ice, let alone other stuff, in it.

SO, if I saw one for $100 or so, I'd buy it.  If I saw three, I'd buy one. 

Yeah, I’m definitely not a buyer at those prices, but I believe I saw somewhere that retail on it is around $200 now. I’m probably not a buyer at that price either, but in a moment of weakness I might be tempted, especially now that you’ve described how much you liked it.

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, I’m definitely not a buyer at those prices, but I believe I saw somewhere that retail on it is around $200 now. I’m probably not a buyer at that price either, but in a moment of weakness I might be tempted, especially now that you’ve described how much you liked it.

It is on the shelf for $220 in my neighborhood currently 

• I like it 1

I took in the end of a couple nice bottles to share with one of my local whiskey mongers. Booker’s 25th, Saz18 2014, and Elijah Craig 21. Three very different pours but three that I liked in their own ways and had gone through multiple bottles of each, alas, this was the last bottle of each I had. Too bad, but I think the shared last pours were appreciated, and this is a good time of year for whiskey karma

• I like it 2

I took in the end of a couple nice bottles to share with one of my local whiskey mongers. Booker’s 25th, Saz18 2014, and Elijah Craig 21. Three very different pours but three that I liked in their own ways and had gone through multiple bottles of each, alas, this was the last bottle of each I had. Too bad, but I think the shared last pours were appreciated, and this is a good time of year for whiskey karma

Sharing a taste with your local liquor store owner/manager never hurts. I do the same thing occasionally, and I often open bottles of new purchases at the store to share a taste when they haven’t tried it before.

Kicking off football Sunday by polishing of this beauty from 2016. This was my first bottle of Pappy 15 and it was very good. Sadly I have had better bourbons, but was still a very good selection.IMG_1880.JPG

25 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Kicking off football Sunday by polishing of this beauty from 2016. This was my first bottle of Pappy 15 and it was very good. Sadly I have had better bourbons, but was still a very good selection.IMG_1880.JPG

The hype versus the juice in the glass. These are the foundation of bourbon zen

• I like it 1

Finished off a Larceny today watching football.  You know, my opinion on this bourbon has evolved over the last couple of years.  My first experience with it was pretty meh.  But, over time, I have grown to appreciate it more, especially from the "bang for your buck" perspective.  I can get it at any liquor shop around me for no more than $26-27.  Not bad at all for what you get.  And, Mrs. Swamp likes it lot, which is a plus.  (As you married guys undoubtedly know, "Happy wife, happy life.")

Larceny.jpg

SOAS 7.  This was a good one.  My old scout stash keeps dwindling because I keep drinking it. 

5AAF995F-1914-4C9B-B7ED-7536E8D68BEF.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

SOAS 7.  This was a good one.  My old scout stash keeps dwindling because I keep drinking it. 

5AAF995F-1914-4C9B-B7ED-7536E8D68BEF.jpeg

Ive seen some 5yr and 6yr SAOS around here but had figured they might be a bit young. May try my luck on at least the 6yr.

9 hours ago, elmossle said:

Added a bottle of HH6yrBIB to the list of empties today after this one. I still can't believe that Heaven Hill is killing this one off as well. Wish I had gotten another case or two the last time I was home. I guess I have the make the remaining bottles last a long time.

Another standard BT hits the bin tonight.  But, I always keep backups of this one around.  It's not a regular pour neat or on the rocks for me (although it certainly is fine in that role), but I find that it works well in cocktails like Old Fashioneds and Whiskey Sours.

Buffalo Trace 2.jpg

Knocked out the remainder of a good store pick I brought along while on vacation. It was well worth it, not being at work!  I feel like I could excel at retirement...

?

B7E58785-254D-49D5-BEE5-AF4326372995.jpeg

3ECB8FDF-A1EA-4F26-AB0C-986D5C746A62.jpeg

• I like it 2

Another standard BT hits the bin tonight.  But, I always keep backups of this one around.  It's not a regular pour neat or on the rocks for me (although it certainly is fine in that role), but I find that it works well in cocktails like Old Fashioneds and Whiskey Sours.
2085297624_BuffaloTrace2.thumb.jpg.a4b1d437d8625f4a98941c2ae2965af6.jpg

Give it a try with Gosling’s Ginger Beer. Delicious!!!
  • I like it 1

On October 13, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

BOTH are recyclable.

IMG_0348.JPG

This IS going to sound ridiculous. That Cabin Still is by far the best low end bourbon out there. Would rather have the glass bottle though.

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

Knocked out the remainder of a good store pick I brought along while on vacation. It was well worth it, not being at work!  I feel like I could excel at retirement...

?

3ECB8FDF-A1EA-4F26-AB0C-986D5C746A62.jpeg

That's a BIG Muddy River!!!    Where are you, -0895? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.