What Water of Life Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2018

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Took a gamble on my way to Laguardia and found this guy-- now I've got to figure out how to fly it home.

IMG_9074.thumb.jpg.498960fd68053ef1fca4b96c71b6df3e.jpg

• I like it 1

Bruichladdich's The Classic Laddie for $27.99 in of all places, Bardstown. The price on the shelf was hand written so I checked with the clerk. He scanned the tube and confirmed it so I bought two.

• I like it 1

No purchase, but one hell of a nice surprise gift. Good thing tomorrow is Friday, so I won't have to wait long…

IMG_9080.thumb.jpg.53394ee6771a7afbe281dd89fdccfbba.jpg

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

No purchase, but one hell of a nice surprise gift. Good thing tomorrow is Friday, so I won't have to wait long…

IMG_9080.thumb.jpg.53394ee6771a7afbe281dd89fdccfbba.jpg

I'd be happy just to have someone nearby with the knowledge and taste to pick up something like that. Awesome.

Edited by Kane

Really surprised to see two of these on the shelf.

y4mtfLfjimHe1g0Qd5yNJK5k7JiSffjPkT_5kpjR

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Really surprised to see two of these on the shelf.

y4mtfLfjimHe1g0Qd5yNJK5k7JiSffjPkT_5kpjR

Nice haul.  Big fan of this distillery.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Nice haul.  Big fan of this distillery.

Same, if the port cask was a bit cheaper I would have picked up a couple even with a 15% off birthday coupon in hand my wallet wasn't thrilled with my brain. 

• I like it 1

There's an unpleasant connection between dead distilleries and dead presidents…

IMG_9088.thumb.jpg.75bf4fd97d9879e27508c4bb7a6217cf.jpg

• I like it 1

Jumped at this today for $20 less than what I normally see in my area.IMG_8088.thumb.JPG.55497ecbe85e9462c84054b8aa3e029c.JPG

A true single barrel too!!! 650 bottles per barrel. Nice job. Usual it’s 800 in my stores.
  • I like it 1

Not sure what constituted a "Wine Treated Butt" back in 1988, but I'm trying to find out.

The store manager discounted the Caol Ila, as it had been sitting on the shelf for years. I'll be able to compare it to the Unpeated 15yo and Stitchell Reserve NAS releases.

IMG_9108.thumb.jpg.d944e8520bf1544b5e31b75ce5fd597f.jpg

IMG_9089.thumb.jpg.8bff9c1cd0bf4e1b0a5f4f6294c118b6.jpg

• I like it 4

I absolutely love that Caol Ila. Great purchase!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

Mother's Day coupon - couldn't resist for $87 out the door for an 18 year old.

image.jpg

Eighteen years is just getting started for a single grain-- I'd love to try the Port Dundas 52.

My latest "Care Package" from Scotland arrived this weekend. Since they're currently not able to ship to Illinois, I had it sent to my son's house in Omaha. We were there for Mother's Day and the package arrived Friday, so the timing was perfect. I'd mentioned earlier in this thread my fondness for this particular Caol Ila Unpeated so these two bottles are nice to have as backups to my open one.

SWA.jpg

• I like it 4

59 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Seems so right in so many ways…

IMG_9201.thumb.jpg.ce3787b6f96922307d1c3256819d83e9.jpg

Do you buy these blind, or is there a good resource where you can actually read about independents before they sell out.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Do you buy these blind, or is there a good resource where you can actually read about independents before they sell out.

Typically the bottle count per barrel or batch is so low, that it's rare (but not impossible) to find a review from a trustworthy source. However, I usually come across these post vs. pre-purchase. I used to take store owner/buyer recommendations-- but now I shoot from the hip and typically go against the grain in search of expressions that are contrary to the expected signature of an official release (when applicable).

The biggest benefit is that given the near-identical nature of the series, my wife thinks it's just the same bottle I'm bringing home on weekends.

• I like it 2

On 5/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, Kane said:

I like to use whiskybase.com to at least get an idea of similar independent bottlings. To Marekv8's point, you may not find the exact cask, but in this case Signatory put out quite a number of similar casks, and all got positive reviews (84 and up is pretty dang good for whiskybase).  

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/distillery/72/glenlossie?style=table&bottler_id=77369&brand_id=81382&vintage_year=1992&type_id=&itemsforsale=&votes=

Looks yummy Marekv8!

Hope I am allowed to post a link to another spirit site?

Edited by dad-proof

11 hours ago, dad-proof said:

I like to use whiskybase.com to at least get an idea of similar independent bottlings. To Marekv8's point, you may not find the exact cask, but in this case Signatory put out quite a number of similar casks, and all got positive reviews (84 and up is pretty dang good for whiskybase).  

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/distillery/72/glenlossie?style=table&bottler_id=77369&brand_id=81382&vintage_year=1992&type_id=&itemsforsale=&votes=

Looks yummy Marekv8!

I do the same and also check Whiskyfun to see if Serge or Angus has had anything similar. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Looks yummy Marekv8!

Yes, those are good resources for baseline reference. At this point, I'm trying to get a grasp on each distillery's unique signature-- so I really don't care if it "tastes good," especially to someone else. I can't fully enjoy whisky with my eyeballs alone. 

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, those are good resources for baseline reference. At this point, I'm trying to get a grasp on each distillery's unique signature-- so I really don't care if it "tastes good," especially to someone else. I can't fully enjoy whisky with my eyeballs alone. 

I tend to buy a lot of indie bottled stuff on value to money kind of and then also buy stuff thats unique from distilleries that I like. I've been on the fence about dropping $125 on an OMC 17 year old 1983 Bowmore though because while I tend to like Indie Bowmore and dislike OB Bowmore I've never had the 80's stuff which many malign, one of these days I'll probably cave, they have been on the shelf for 16 or 17 years so I think I'm safe. I find that I look at whiskybase mostly for a sense of the character more than the actual scores, especially since a lot of the Indie stuff is from the more esoteric distilleries. 

I find that whiskybase notes and scores never agree with my palate, but yeah, I have nothing better to turn to. It's going to be mostly experimentation then. That said, I never had a bad bottle from my go to independent bottlers, so it's a relatively safe game.

Well on the way home from my brother's place in Upstate NY I found a store which either qualifies as a place I wish I never found or a place I wish I knew about sooner.  I could have dropped a couple paychecks at this place no problem, these came home because they were all at the best prices I had seen. 

y4myxOJ_VvNvsytElS3ms-axLTllre6mhrHgz1r2

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Well on the way home from my brother's place in Upstate NY I found a store which either qualifies as a place I wish I never found or a place I wish I knew about sooner.  I could have dropped a couple paychecks at this place no problem, these came home because they were all at the best prices I had seen. 

y4myxOJ_VvNvsytElS3ms-axLTllre6mhrHgz1r2

Love the Kilchoman Glancairns!

• I like it 1

A nice group from Binny's… I'm hoping the Adelphi Clynelish 17 (56.9% ABV) is crazy complex. If my meeting today wraps up in time, I'll hit the South Loop store in an attempt to fill my flight bag quota. The last time I was in town I picked up a 200mL version of the tasty FAT DRAM Talisker 6-- so I was pleased to see a 1L version.

IMG_9317.thumb.jpg.453cb0c3116695e038a5250069211045.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.