What Dram are you enjoying? Spring 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Such an interesting malt and a significant value for a 17yo…

IMG_9812.thumb.jpg.52a100d1bb4566ada6aeb12c9a74353b.jpg

• I like it 1

A pour of Glenfiddich 18 at my cousin's for a nightcap while staying over. Mmm, been awhile since I had it. 

The rest of the line-up from last night. The new Peat Week is interesting-- heavy on the hospital corridor complexity. The SMWS Caol Ila certainly didn't live up to its billing.

IMG_9815.thumb.JPG.97c82e31d0c382fb9dfbd891838ded83.JPG

IMG_9813.thumb.JPG.8c8484d063b7769eaa30db3d488b53b9.JPG

IMG_9817.thumb.JPG.c9af2c7a1e9cdb9e416443a46d6efda3.JPG

^^will keep an eye out for that Balvenie - not sure I want a bottle but will give it a test drive

After finding the right bar on the cruise ship, had a decent week with the darkside. They had a Macallan tasting with Select Oak, Whisky Makers Edition, and Estate Reserve. The other 8 participants all liked the Whisky Makers because it was "smooth". Yep, it was unanimous (except for me) with every last one of them saying "smooth". My choice was the Estate Reserve because it had some attitude and made you think about it, but I'd happily drink any of them. Other pours enjoyed on various nights were Aberfeldy 21yr, Oban 14, Dalwhinnie 15, Laphroaig 10 and the HP Einar I mentioned earlier.

• I like it 2

Still working through the Glenfarclas lineup last night, revisiting the 17yr (which still stuck out as odd) and progressing through the 21 and 25 yr - which got back on-track.  Preferred the 21 yr last night - that stewed dark fruit you get from older sherried malts, along with a nutty spice and balsamic vinegar note; just a delightfully well balanced dram with a bit of sweet/spice/smoke.  The 25 yr was another odd duck to me - on the nose I don't get the sherry fruit sweetness and more of an herbal, grassy vegetal thing going on - although the palate delivered more of what you'd expect.  Lighter in color than the 21 yr as well, which I thought odd.

It's been a while since I have visited this site and good to be back.  My brother who lives in Europe has twisted my taste buds a little and now enjoy both Bourbon and Scotch.

Tonight it a little MaCallan 15 wile winding down the evening...

There are aspects of this that remind me of Paranubes Oaxacan Rum, I could also see it working in a "Gin" and tonic. Either way interesting enough for the price paid

y4m2Rn5mVdQZiGREZHCCsnu742_1-_zXJHw_ZTQ0

Cheers to kevinbrink with this one-- I wish that I'd opened it a year ago, as it's quite nice with a nifty sour/minty transformative delivery. Curious that the stopper reads LIQUEUR.

I was tempted to put the bottle in the freezer for a while for the full Antarctica effect-- I'll try a shot glass worth in there tonight.

IMG_9862.thumb.jpg.73774370a7fc848ee489003f023644bd.jpg

• I like it 1

I hope my 10-year-old son appreciates the bottle of this I bought him as a future coming-of-age gift-- distilled two months before his birth. Such a lovely pour.

IMG_9866.thumb.jpg.e2b5b703aade7e6d2de9c83b7408a4b1.jpg

• I like it 2

This has been different every time I've tried it, and always on the upswing… a very durable malt in regards to time and dilution.

IMG_9867.thumb.jpg.5ab2d11c515cd1d7d317d0c6e0adc231.jpg

Plain old standard Jameson Irish, but it was the circumstances that made it special. The father of a good friend of mine passed away last week at the ripe old age of 95 and his funeral was today. Everett was Irish, damn proud of it, and loved his Jameson. He believed that you didn't need any of the medications a doctor might prescribe, just a shot (or 2 or 3) of whiskey to take care of all your ills. Living as long as he did, we couldn't argue with him! Everett was a jokester, a story teller, chatted up women wherever he went, and until this year he was playing golf and loved going out to bars with his kids and grandkids. An amazing man who lived life to the fullest.

At the luncheon after the funeral, a number of bottles of Jameson were brought out and shots were done by many in his honor. Some of us continued enjoying it for the next couple of hours as well. It was a time where the right moment, with the right people, made a whiskey more enjoyable than it ever has been before (or most likely ever will be again).

Cheers, Everett!

• I like it 3

@Marekv8 You sir were correct on this one, it's a keeper, hope this becomes a more regular release, that 1st Edition on the label has me optimistic. 

y4mOJSGvMq4dAALr3eK1KW379fjZqGj3nME-L5nw

• I like it 1

And followed that up with some well loved bottles that are totally different, a bruiser of a sherry bomb.

y4mp5U87QehnLGxEtK47GtRHhdHdt9aBfgxk38pp

And a super enjoyable high proofer for peatheads. 

y4mTMoSMf7PZ82LbUIFozNolSZs96ZFYwH_UqktW

The last couple of drams from last night-- the Lagavulin 12 is a viscous hammer…

IMG_9871-1.thumb.JPG.b4148ee282aa049edeedc8a5d9dda4b6.JPG

IMG_9869-1.thumb.JPG.6447f90293ee461d087b4c174d26e607.JPG

• I like it 1

This late 2014 bottle was given a 91 by Serge-- talk about bang for the buck. Made by the sea and made for me as well.

IMG_9872.thumb.jpg.81189c091f6d567c22dc11a3ebada68c.jpg

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

IMG_9869-1.thumb.JPG.6447f90293ee461d087b4c174d26e607.JPG

I also had this just now. The bartender went on and on about how impeccable a pour this was, and that it's an extremely rare collector's bottle so that I was lucky to try a pour. Quite literally, I saw it on every single shelf I looked at during my whiskey hunt earlier today...

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

I also had this just now. The bartender went on and on about how impeccable a pour this was, and that it's an extremely rare collector's bottle so that I was lucky to try a pour. Quite literally, I saw it on every single shelf I looked at during my whiskey hunt earlier today...

How true-- I'm in Baton Rouge and can put my hands on a fresh bottle in 5 minutes.

Super Speyside stuff here. I asked my LS owner how sales of this were going and apparently not so brisk… unfortunately the packaging promotes a rather benign experience and it's anything but. 

IMG_9874.thumb.jpg.59fa17af81e4f17ee64768d271d11892.jpg

• I like it 1

Super Speyside stuff here. I asked my LS owner how sales of this were going and apparently not so brisk… unfortunately the packaging promotes a rather benign experience and it's anything but. 

IMG_9874.thumb.jpg.59fa17af81e4f17ee64768d271d11892.jpg

It could also be that the other 40-44% offerings in the revised line up are bland and uninspiring. A sad comparison to the earlier offerings from Glen Grant. They were so blah that I was originally skeptical of your glowing praise for this bottle until I looked closer and noted it was a Batch strength offering. I usually only buy IB Glen Grant now but I would give this one a try if i saw it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.