What Dram are you enjoying? Spring 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Still amazed that I found this bottle in a rural Connecticut LS amongst the Malibu and Pinnacle flavored vodka…

IMG_9440.thumb.jpg.c85450fd6d609a58558bdfe77457c4ca.jpg

• I like it 1

Ha!  Yep, like Vosgar points out, the 15 and 21 increase everything...including $ [emoji3]  The extra age on those take it to other levels of complexity.  But, the power of the CS still remains my fave.  The whole line is great.  
Do you have a preference from best to worst? I may have a store that sells 15 year, just wondering if it's worth purchasing.

Someday, hopefully, I'll quit being a cheap bastard and splurge for a RB21. Just can't get myself to drop $200+ for a bottle so for now I'll have to take other people's word for how wonderful it is.  Maybe as a retirement gift to myself, whenever that may be...
Any special occasion will do. Father's day is coming up soon... and if you're not a dad, international whiskey day was a few days ago, so you can purchase something for then :)

Last call from last night. Hard to fathom that this bottle and the Peerless Rye shared a MSRP.

IMG_9442.thumb.jpg.56880d248a38b8f0ce31cad4f76c1751.jpg

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Last call from last night. Hard to fathom that this bottle and the Peerless Rye shared a MSRP.

IMG_9442.thumb.jpg.56880d248a38b8f0ce31cad4f76c1751.jpg

Searched for this for months, and it's one I could never find. Great stuff. 

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Hard to fathom that this bottle and the Peerless Rye shared a MSRP.

A GREAT example of how screwed up the American whiskey scene has gotten

• I like it 1

A bit of Foggie Moss action tonight-- really nice. I'm picking up a "Fisherman's Friend" vibe-- spicy candied eucalyptus. Bacardi did a great job with the presentation-- 46% ABV, natural color and NCF (although a bit too Balveniesque on the decoration).

IMG_9450.thumb.jpg.0ad3daa356f0797cecfff4158622e697.jpg

I was hoping some airtime would have benefited this one, but I'm still not into it. Maybe I'm just not a Balvenie man. Hopefully David Stewart will return to Tales of the Cocktail this July-- he added quite a bit of value to the proceedings last year.

IMG_9451.thumb.jpg.a1ad16c37888684ff4ec13d05145640a.jpg

This guy is mean and challenging tonight, but I have a feeling it'll settle down nicely…

IMG_9452.thumb.jpg.fe697f2064cf3c2d5cc002b5f7b6da0b.jpg

I have bottle #39 from that cask. Trust me, it'll come around for you!

P1100955.JPG

11 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I have bottle #39 from that cask. Trust me, it'll come around for you!

P1100955.JPG

Thanks-- I have no doubt. Especially given that the hotel had an open bottle at the bar which was outstanding.

This 8 year Ardmore is really quite good, must have been some active casks, punches well above it's price point. 

y4mIJaxJ-vOreZ39pEzbKSUis2QzBNMx9enLmqPR

Really in the mood for sweet and odd drams tonight. So went with a Bunnahabhain Moine Oloroso, and on the side a HW Yippie I poured while cooking and forgot to touch before pouring my Scotch. So yeah, an interesting combo :)

That identical color, though...

IMG_20180528_213421.jpg

Been a fan of Scotch and Bourbon, but never cared for Irish Whiskey. This bottle is making me rethink my opinion of Irish Whiskey. It is quite tasty.IMG_8245.JPG

On 5/23/2018 at 10:08 PM, kevinbrink said:

Well decided to crack the newish OB Mortlach, it's not bad I prefer this Signatory but not by as much of a margin as I would have expected. It certainly wins the packaging contest though.

y4mdjTsDX8HTA3HJBUupvtHppqxI6uySyfq1-Moi

Interesting to see the Mortlach OB bottle. Don't know if this just a more recent release but they have been out for a while and were generally considered a bit of flop based on a big price increase but a change to the general profile before Diageo started futzing with it. The independent releases like the Signatory and the G&M have been around for awhile too so that is a nice find.

7 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Interesting to see the Mortlach OB bottle. Don't know if this just a more recent release but they have been out for a while and were generally considered a bit of flop based on a big price increase but a change to the general profile before Diageo started futzing with it. The independent releases like the Signatory and the G&M have been around for awhile too so that is a nice find.

Local distributer just dropped a bunch of the OB Mortlach all over the place fore $50ish. I would probably take the G&M 15 over this particular Signatory but I also don't have one on hand at the moment to confirm, seeing as it's starting to vanish I might have to pick  one up if I see it at a fair price.

10 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Local distributer just dropped a bunch of the OB Mortlach all over the place fore $50ish. I would probably take the G&M 15 over this particular Signatory but I also don't have one on hand at the moment to confirm, seeing as it's starting to vanish I might have to pick  one up if I see it at a fair price.

Yeah, I expect it has been languishing on store and distributor shelves for a while resulting in the price decrease. 

• I like it 1

Was looking at the dessert menu at dinner and saw they were offering 15 year old McCallan. It was quite satisfying, and I can now say I've tasted it anyways. Only had the 12 before.  

I blame @smokinjoe for dragging me back into here... =]b

A few from this past weekend:

41705969435_12ac017b15_c.jpg

Of course, the act of popping bottles is often rife with potential risks...

28635665438_73eca86d49_z.jpg

Edited by ChainWhip
  • I like it 2

10 hours ago, ChainWhip said:

I blame @smokinjoe for dragging me back into here... =]b

A few from this past weekend:

41705969435_12ac017b15_c.jpg

Of course, the act of popping bottles is often rife with potential risks...

28635665438_73eca86d49_z.jpg

Welcome back!  And, go easy on those corks.  You can’t be Conaning those things off is such a hurry no matter how good they may be!  :D

Welcome back!  And, go easy on those corks.  You can’t be Conaning those things off is such a hurry no matter how good they may be!  [emoji3]

I am somewhat ham-fisted [emoji109]

But in this case, the top almost came off when I removed the foil [emoji44]

Sippin' on some Mortlach in an attempt to wind down the day

27765090027_a0b8d1b381_c.jpg

Edited by ChainWhip
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.