What bottle(s) did you open today? Summer 2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight I opened a 2 fresh bottles. 1 a new purchase last week and one from the bunker. New purchase was a bottle of 4RSB OBSV from Julio's Liquors and a Loch and K(e)y Selection. The second was an old standby in OWA.

• I like it 2

Opened a new purchase today. A Single Barrel Loch & K(e)y selection of EC. It just so happens to be that this one is 12 years old! I can't wait to do a SBS with an older EC12 in the basement. However, after the first pour of the new bottle, it is damn good and probably spot on with the old stuff. I am thinking I will need to purchase a few more of these babies.

$42 OTD. Store pick Four Roses, standard 100 proof OBSV. 

7 years 4 months is on the young side for 

A Four Roses store pick. 

8661B99D-8843-417E-8264-B41660A22C2C.jpeg

Edited by Mako254

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

$42 OTD. Store pick Four Roses, standard 100 proof OBSV. 

7 years 4 months is on the young side for 

A Four Roses store pick. 

8661B99D-8843-417E-8264-B41660A22C2C.jpeg

The ones proofed down to 100 are typically 6-8 years (store pick single barrel 100p).

They currently won't bottle anything under 8 years as a Barrel Proof private selection.

In April, I tasted one (OBSV) that was 6 years & some change.  Begged and begged and begged to get it at cask strength.  So darn good.  Hoping it retained its "goodness" even after being cut, but still waiting for it to show up.

How is yours?  Remember it'll get better with air. :)

Popped open my first bottle of RR SmB about a week ago.  Blown away by the quality.  Very glad I picked up a second bottle for the bunker before tasting, and will be hunting for the single barrel version now.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, rjg1701 said:

Popped open my first bottle of RR SmB about a week ago.  Blown away by the quality.  Very glad I picked up a second bottle for the bunker before tasting, and will be hunting for the single barrel version now.

A great summer bourbon. Very flavorful but light and drinkable. I'm barely into my 1st RRSiB but it's noticeably thicker and creamier with the flavors more pronounced also. Great stuff. 

Cracked this open, and while not a bourbon, it has me grinning ear to ear. :)  

IMG_2366.JPG

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

The ones proofed down to 100 are typically 6-8 years (store pick single barrel 100p).

They currently won't bottle anything under 8 years as a Barrel Proof private selection.

In April, I tasted one (OBSV) that was 6 years & some change.  Begged and begged and begged to get it at cask strength.  So darn good.  Hoping it retained its "goodness" even after being cut, but still waiting for it to show up.

How is yours?  Remember it'll get better with air. :)

Very pleased. Had 3 pours last night.  Picked it up after buying 2002. Got a tip this particular shop had some RHF (they did but it was gone by the time I got there). Noticed this and picked it up.  

I haven’t opened 2002 yet, hard to imagine it is x6 better than this. Bourbon zen??

• I like it 1

55 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I haven’t opened 2002 yet, hard to imagine it is x6 better than this. Bourbon zen??

Nope.  BZ is realizing that before you drop the Benjamins...

• I like it 3

51 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Nope.  BZ is realizing that before you drop the Benjamins...

Fair point. I am very much looking forward to 2002. Can also say that I’ll be stashing some of these store picks. 

21 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Fair point. I am very much looking forward to 2002. Can also say that I’ll be stashing some of these store picks. 

;)

• I like it 1

It's the 4th of July so I figured it was a GREAT time to open this one.  Side note: I must be in a Turkey kind of mood these days since I've got these open.

Tradition.jpg

open WT.jpg

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, Vosgar said:

It's the 4th of July so I figured it was a GREAT time to open this one.  Side note: I must be in a Turkey kind of mood these days since I've got these open.

Tradition.jpg

open WT.jpg

Happy Independence Day to you Gary! That’s one heck of a Turkey lineup. What’s your favorite in that bunch?

I just popped open this Four Roses 8 year 11mo OESQ and so far it’s not so good. I’m not sold on the Q yeast yet - the ones I’ve had smell amazing but then have strange off notes. This one suffers from a raw lumber taste. Then again, it sometimes takes me half a bottle to warm up to certain Four Roses private selections so maybe that’ll be the case here.

334CD485-269C-476A-8B3C-1554FF68F205.jpeg

20 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Happy Independence Day to you Gary! That’s one heck of a Turkey lineup. What’s your favorite in that bunch?

Favorite? Has to be the Tradition, followed by RRSiB, 8yr, 13yr, RR10, KS (not a particularly good selection) and in a distant last place, Longbranch

• I like it 1

Decided to open my first bottle of ECBP A118 tonight. Not nearly as tasty as B517, but still a very good barrel proof bourbon.

I cracked open my OC101. The nose is harsh with notes of grain alcohol. The palate is initially young and slightly astringent, but traditional notes of caramel and butterscotch reveal themselves. The finish is short, with a sweet, syrupy taste. I get some candy corn and cake icing on the finish also. This is not a $50 bourbon, but for <$20, it’s great bang for the buck.

• I like it 2

Cracked this open on the 4th with some buddies and its half gone already.  This bottle has the best nose I've smelled in many moons.  Love it.

IMG_0172.jpg

57 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I cracked open my OC101. The nose is harsh with notes of grain alcohol. The palate is initially young and slightly astringent, but traditional notes of caramel and butterscotch reveal themselves. The finish is short, with a sweet, syrupy taste. I get some candy corn and cake icing on the finish also. This is not a $50 bourbon, but for <$20, it’s great bang for the buck.

A little hot if I recall, but definitely young. Was expecting more from that one.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:19 PM, DeepCover said:

On 7/7/2018 at 8:18 PM, FasterHorses said:

A little hot if I recall, but definitely young. Was expecting more from that one.

I realized after finishing a bottle of OC101 a little while back (and staring at said bottle) that it's not actually "Old Charter 101", it's just "Charter 101". Based on both of your notes and my own, there's good reason why they left off the "old".

FWIW I enjoyed my bottle (which was a store pick, odd in it's own right) but also found it to be pretty young, probably about 5yo if I had to guess.

These are both very good, in a bottle opening kind of mood tonight and these two have been in the cabinet for a while and there's no time like the present. 

y4mXFzmg40VjAO1Z092bRDswYxGJnmhFKpXQ1891

• I like it 2

Opened a bottle of RY10SB this evening. Went to the bunker and had a hard time deciding on what I wanted to open next and landed on this. It has been a month or two since I had one of these and it is extremely good.So happy I made the selection I did.

47 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Opened a bottle of RY10SB this evening. Went to the bunker and had a hard time deciding on what I wanted to open next and landed on this. It has been a month or two since I had one of these and it is extremely good.So happy I made the selection I did.

When you find a good one, it's really good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.