What bottle(s) did you open today? Summer 2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Proud to share this with Eddie Russell and fellow SBer @Enoch

2A650542-4817-4935-A82D-E4CE6A58E737.jpeg

Love the label! I don’t care about the artwork but the info is glorious. Eddie Russell is doing some exciting stuff. Allowing independent bottling of a premium brand is surprising. More CS RRSiB would be welcomed with open arms by whiskey geeks. 

What did you mean by “share this with Eddie Russell”? Details details!

2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Love the label! I don’t care about the artwork but the info is glorious. Eddie Russell is doing some exciting stuff. Allowing independent bottling of a premium brand is surprising. More CS RRSiB would be welcomed with open arms by whiskey geeks. 

What did you mean by “share this with Eddie Russell”? Details details!

Also, CS Russells will be happening in 2019 per Eddie. 

D14AB75C-0B0A-43F3-AF90-66274DA4A202.jpeg

• I like it 6

Old Forester Signature 100 proof.  I remember liking better than I did last night.  I opened it following a small pour each of EW BiB and WT 101.  It did not impress after those two.  Hot and harsh with little complexity or flavor.  Perhaps it will open up and smooth out after being open for a while.  If not, it will be open for a long while...  :P

28 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Old Forester Signature 100 proof.  I remember liking better than I did last night.  I opened it following a small pour each of EW BiB and WT 101.  It did not impress after those two.  Hot and harsh with little complexity or flavor.  Perhaps it will open up and smooth out after being open for a while.  If not, it will be open for a long while...  :P

Your impression of this is similar to mine. The Old Forester taste profile just doesn't do it for me. I like OF1920, but not enough to replace my open bottle once it's gone. 

It seems that my bourbon and cigar group and I (and maybe a few others) drank up all the BT at my local American Legion Post. The bar manager is trying to get more. However, we did get a  couple of surprises though. They manager did get some EC Small Batch, and WT Longbranch, so we've been drinking that. :) While I'm admittedly not the biggest HH fan, other than their BIB's,  I do have to say that the EC surprised me. So much so that I bought a bottle which I opened this past weekend. Yeah, it's good. This is another example of how a persons tastes and preferences can change over time. Just sayin'. :huh:

Biba! Joe

ec1.jpeg

Opened a bottle of Stagg Jr batch 9.  This will have it ready in the next few months for cooler weather. 

4 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Opened a bottle of Stagg Jr batch 9.  This will have it ready in the next few months for cooler weather. 

Stellar batch. It might not make it to cooler weather.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Stellar batch. It might not make it to cooler weather.

Fortunately it will. Too many other good bottles open to keep me from visiting this one very often. 

Opened the new batch of Stagg Jr (126.4p) last night. 

Holy cow.  Fantastic. 

Has the nice eagle rare taste profile going on, with cherries, oak, & cinnamon (like big red gum). 

Absolutely recommend picking this one up, if you enjoy that flavor profile. 

4372A656-71D3-4DDD-9FC1-CB69CAAABF82.jpeg

• I like it 5

WT 101 LL/G bottle.  LL/G prefix in the laser code signifies 2018 bottling.  There was some discussion here on SB a while back that the 2018 releases were going to have an additional year of barrel age.  I did a sbs with the last of the 2017 bottle and, to my nose and palate, there was very little difference.  I slightly preferred the 2017 but that was probably due to it having a couple of months of breathing time under its belt.  Bottom line; WT is WT.  And, that's a good thing...  

Cracked open an age stated (on back) EC12. I didn't think there was much drop off in the newer NAS EC SmB but this bottle has a really rich depth and a ton of oak which has been missing in the last bottles of EC I've had.

20180912_212302.jpg

Edited by Clueby

26 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Cracked open an age stated (on back) EC12. I didn't think there was much drop off in the newer NAS EC SmB but this bottle has a really rich depth and a ton of oak which has been missing in the last bottles of EC I've had.

20180912_212302.jpg

Blast from the past!

Looks tasty.  :)

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Blast from the past!

Looks tasty.  :)

It is. Quite. It's not that distant of a past. Should be from 15 or 16.

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

NBHM pour of the day. A fresh 2016 ETL. I always enjoy the way Elmer slowly emerges from the liquid.

20180914_204141.jpg

It's been a while since I opened an ETL, the last two I had open were the infamous grassy/muddy tasting release some may recall and a fairly uninspiring bottle I probably opened right around the time I joined SB and stopped lurking in 2016, this one is actually quite nice so thanks for the motivation.

y4mfeLdZ1UJd_RIZZsh7ADGKcXdVCJ15Z7JN8Pv5

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It's been a while since I opened an ETL, the last two I had open were the infamous grassy/muddy tasting release some may recall and a fairly uninspiring bottle I probably opened right around the time I joined SB and stopped lurking in 2016, this one is actually quite nice so thanks for the motivation.

y4mfeLdZ1UJd_RIZZsh7ADGKcXdVCJ15Z7JN8Pv5

I never had my own bottle that had that problem. I do have 5 or 6 bunkered so you never know. I did get a pour at a restaurant that was off. I told them it didn't taste right and wasn't Elmer. They brought the bottle over to prove it was (although I suppose it could have been refilled). It tasted moldy/musty/earthy/muddy. Was hard to describe but wasn't good.

Last night's bottle is a good one. A little oilier with good legs and a great mouth feel.

• I like it 1

I cracked and taste-tested the Blanton's private (I and several others along with the owner selected it) pick I grabbed a couple weex ago from my local monger. 

I did a SBS with a bottle of off-the-shelf Blanton's from about 2-years ago.     The 'shelf' one was quite nice; but the pick is a bit better to my taste buddies.    It had a slight edge in the aroma department, and a rather richer mouthfeel, plus was a sweet-caramel bomb, which I like as a rule. 

The 'shelf' bottle may have suffered a bit from air-space in the bottle as it's been below half for at least a few months,  so there's that.

Opened a bottle of John J Bowman as I sit down to watch a little football. Really like this bourbon and it has become one of my daily drinkers.

IMG_9001.JPG

• I like it 2

On 9/12/2018 at 5:59 PM, CUfan99 said:

Hurricane preping on a hump day...time for the good stuff!

74F302EF-54F5-4A8E-BF77-FB8727FB3229.jpeg

548AFC2E-A34A-44C2-B711-7D3F6759E8FE.jpeg

Nice.  How do you find the batch 15?  I haven't tried that batch yet.

Opened up a Redemption 9yr High Rye Boubon old style bottle, batch #1.  It's sporting classic MGP non chill filtered goodness.  It's a real winner, with the drawback being the high price.  Smooth Ambler, how I miss you so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.