What bottle(s) did you open today? Summer 2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 minutes ago, flahute said:

When you find a good one, it's really good.

I haven't found a good one yet. Have only tried 2. One was terrible and the other was mediocre. 

I opened up a 1.75L of WT101 this afternoon. The first pour was much better than I remembered other WT101s. This handle seems to be deeper in flavor and more nuanced, if that's appropriate for a bourbon. Maybe it's just the summer heat here on the Middle Coast that's  getting to me. It's a very good deal for the $30 I paid for it.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:27 PM, Mako254 said:

$42 OTD. Store pick Four Roses, standard 100 proof OBSV. 

7 years 4 months is on the young side for 

A Four Roses store pick. 

8661B99D-8843-417E-8264-B41660A22C2C.jpeg

I think that may be the youngest FRSB I'd seen.  What'd ya think of it?  

8 hours ago, GaryT said:

I think that may be the youngest FRSB I'd seen.  What'd ya think of it?  

Liked it. Not the best store pick OBSV I’ve had but solid on all counts. Put a good dent in it last week and have laid off since. 

• I like it 1

A new bottle of Blanton's got pulled from the bunker tonight.  I always try to keep a version of "mash 2" open.

IMAG3499.jpg

• I like it 1

A Russell's Reserve SiB. Man is this good. I have not had too much bourbon from the Wild Turkey guys, but this makes me think that is an oversight I should correct. How does Kentucky Spirit compare to the RR SiB?

12 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

A Russell's Reserve SiB. Man is this good. I have not had too much bourbon from the Wild Turkey guys, but this makes me think that is an oversight I should correct. How does Kentucky Spirit compare to the RR SiB?

Since they are both single barrels they vary, I have two RR SiB open at the moment and 1 KS, of the three a store pick RR SiB from my local is the clear winner with the KS in 2nd and the other RR SiB from The Wine and Cheese Place a distant third. I will say that off the shelf (non store picks) of both are also pretty great and I tend to buy both on price more than anything and have never had a bad bottle of either (or any WT product for that matter) but I am admittedly a Turkeyhead. Also your handle reminds me of college, is it a reference to the activity or the band?

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

A new bottle of Blanton's got pulled from the bunker tonight.  I always try to keep a version of "mash 2" open.

Right there with ya.  Sometimes I get carried away, though, as I happen to have one each of ETL, Blantons, RHF, and HPR open right now.  I was actually looking at that the other day thinking that seems like overkill.  About to empty the ETL, though.  But I think that mash is my most palatable, just always hits the spot.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Since they are both single barrels they vary, I have two RR SiB open at the moment and 1 KS, of the three a store pick RR SiB from my local is the clear winner with the KS in 2nd and the other RR SiB from The Wine and Cheese Place a distant third. I will say that off the shelf (non store picks) of both are also pretty great and I tend to buy both on price more than anything and have never had a bad bottle of either (or any WT product for that matter) but I am admittedly a Turkeyhead. Also your handle reminds me of college, is it a reference to the activity or the band?

The band, which I also listened to while in college.

• I like it 1

Bought a bottle of woodford American whiskey and cracked it last night. Very impressed with its smoothness....better than many single malt scotches I’ve tried. IMHO, Well worth the $35 price.

• I like it 1

Love having presents waiting for me after a long Monday!  Opened this puppy up, and realized my stuffy head made that a waste of time (or near waste - made some sample bottles up; and was glad to see the synthetic closure!)

IMG_20180723_173405.thumb.jpg.c0412d88b4d9e41c25f7f9061b2bb4c7.jpg

Wanted something basic and low proof tonight. This works, but I feel sorry for newbies tricked into paying $$$ for this.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180728003433320_COVER.jpg

• I like it 1

Had a Lawrenceburg buddy hook me up with this D from the visitor center. 

AF4FCCC0-F5CC-4356-9C38-0E7B6E87A479.jpeg

• I like it 5

How many open bottles of Russell's Reserve you sitting on Mako? 500? 750? 1000?

Hehehehe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

How many open bottles of Russell's Reserve you sitting on Mako? 500? 750? 1000?

Hehehehe

Somewhere between

Not enough if you ask me :) and ‘not another one’ if you ask my wife. 

• I like it 3

On 7/19/2018 at 10:39 PM, 0895 said:

IMAG3499.jpg

On 7/20/2018 at 6:32 AM, dcbt said:

Right there with ya.  Sometimes I get carried away, though, as I happen to have one each of ETL, Blantons, RHF, and HPR open right now.  I was actually looking at that the other day thinking that seems like overkill.  About to empty the ETL, though.  But I think that mash is my most palatable, just always hits the spot.

I always have one of HPR, ETL, Blanton's and RHF open.  LUUUUUUV me some Mashbill #2.  

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Somewhere between

Not enough if you ask me :) and ‘not another one’ if you ask my wife. 

Between the two of us.........it could be ridiculous.

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Between the two of us.........it could be ridiculous.

Or wall to wall w/ Eddie Russell goodness ????

On 7/28/2018 at 9:15 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

IMG_2208.JPG
Cracked this open tonight. Cheers boys

Finished one of these last night.  Luckily I have two more in the bunker.  Hopefully these will be as good as the first one.  It's a SiB so you never know.

Enjoyed my last WT Kentucky Spirit private pick so much, I decided to open a new one (different barrel this time).  Yes RRSiB is the better choice for the money normally, but a good KS really holds its own and can be equally satisfying in its own right.  And that bottle sure is purty sittin' on the shelf.

Edited by Kepler

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.