What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

52 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

Passed on a Bookers 30th that arrived today.  $199.99.  Also the Basil Haydens 10 year at $62.  

How old is standard BH?  8 years?  I wonder how they compare flavor-wise.  I enjoy ER more than BT and I assume there is probably 2-3 years age difference.  I do like BH but the price typically directs me to other options.  I just can't see buying a slightly older version for almost double the cost.

Edited by mbroo5880i

26 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

How old is standard BH?  8 years?  I wonder how they compare flavor-wise.  I enjoy ER more than BT and I assume there is probably 2-3 years age difference.  I do like BH but the price typically directs me to other options.  I just can't see buying a slightly older version for almost double the cost.

It used to be 8 years old but has been NAS for some time.

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My thinking exactly on the pass.  Plus BH is 80 proof.  I assume the BH10 is too.

• I like it 1

Regular BH is one of the few bourbons that has actually gone down in price in my area over the last few years. It used to be around $40, but I see it all the time now close to $30. I’m not sure I’ll be a buyer of the 10yr at $60 either, but I did pick up a BH at around $30 a few months ago.
  • I like it 1

20 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Regular BH is one of the few bourbons that has actually gone down in price in my area over the last few years. It used to be around $40, but I see it all the time now close to $30. I’m not sure I’ll be a buyer of the 10yr at $60 either, but I did pick up a BH at around $30 a few months ago.

Used to push $40 here and occasionally slightly more but it's only fallen to around $35. I did see it one time at a Sam's Club for $28 a couple years ago.

• I like it 1

I stopped into a gouger store today just for amusement. Passed on an OWA at $199 and something else at over $300. I don’t even remember what it was, not pappy or BTAC. Rock Hill Farms maybe. They did have an EH Taylor Rye for $84.99 which was not marked up ridiculously like the rest. Still passed but it keeps popping back into my head.

I passed on a Weller CYPB for $60. They also had the last 2 Parkers Heritage editions but they were at $225 each...nope. 

53 minutes ago, FlounderinDC said:

I passed on a Weller CYPB for $60. They also had the last 2 Parkers Heritage editions but they were at $225 each...nope. 

I think I'd have bit on the CYPB.  Its not great..but is unique in the lineup.  It brings the best of WSR and OWA together.

• I like it 2

Passed on PVW15 for $399 plus tax today. If I didn’t already have a couple that I paid much less for, I might have taken the plunge, but it’s not really worth that kind of price, much less the secondary price of around $1,000. Perhaps I’m reaching my bourbon zen level.

• I like it 4

18 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on PVW15 for $399 plus tax today. If I didn’t already have a couple that I paid much less for, I might have taken the plunge, but it’s not really worth that kind of price, much less the secondary price of around $1,000. Perhaps I’m reaching my bourbon zen level.

that really made me think about what I would do in that situation...I still don't know.?

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Sad, but I understand exactly where you’re coming from Jeff.  :mellow:

Joe

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

And with your 1500th post you should be in BOURBON ZEN.

And with your 1500th post you should be in BOURBON ZEN.

Getting there my friend...getting there.

20 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

If you don't mind me ask, what store was this? Have a friend in the area looking for a PVW 15 and might pay that price. Thanks.

If you don't mind me ask, what store was this? Have a friend in the area looking for a PVW 15 and might pay that price. Thanks.

It won’t be made available to the general public. This was part of the allocation to the store’s whiskey club, and will either be made available to someone else in the club or possibly sold at secondary prices.

22 hours ago, kawboyz11 said:

"Have a friend"  That's a good one.

17 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

"Have a friend"  That's a good one.

I would not drive 13 hours round trip for a bottle at that price. Too much good stuff on the shelf in KY to consider that. Just thought I might be able to help out a friend who lives in his area. 

On 12/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, gurgalunas said:

Passed on a Bookers 30th that arrived today.  $199.99.  Also the Basil Haydens 10 year at $62.  

Coworker picked up a Bookers 30 today at retail $200. He said they got 4 bottles and he got the last one. Not sure if he's gonna drink or flip it. He's aware they are already going for $700 on secondary. He mentioned "sitting on it" for a while.

I won't be looking for this one although the people that tried it at Whiskey in the Winter have raved about it.

Passed on a Jos. E. Magnus, today.  Would not have, but a day spending $$$ Christmas shopping, aaaand picking up a 4R130th, I felt I shouldn’t overdue since it’s December 15.  December 16 looks wiiiiiiide open, though...  :D

• I like it 4

Passed on a Jim Beam Repeal Batch for $15. It was slightly cheaper than regular white label and it’s NCF and 86 proof.

Passed on a New Rif Bottled in Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey for $39.99. Also had a Single Barrel of it. What is it?  I thought I was up to date on my KSBW and was surprised to see there’s one out there that is 4yrs Old that I wasn’t aware of. I’m guessing it’s some sort of “craft” bourbon like OZ Taylor, Rabbit Hole or MB Rowland(none of which I’ve bought or tried).  Has anyone tried it?  Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Passed on a New Rif Bottled in Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey for $39.99. Also had a Single Barrel of it. What is it?  I thought I was up to date on my KSBW and was surprised to see there’s one out there that is 4yrs Old that I wasn’t aware of. I’m guessing it’s some sort of “craft” bourbon like OZ Taylor, Rabbit Hole or MB Rowland(none of which I’ve bought or tried).  Has anyone tried it?  Thoughts?

It's a new Craft outfit though they are much larger in scale then the typical craft distillery, they  are using a real column still and they have Larry Ebersol formerly of MGP involved. For a while they were releasing the sourced O.K.I. brand.  I have a bottle of the Single Barrel and to me it really exceeded expectations, it is really enjoyable. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.