What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I know where you were . . . . . . .  ☺️

Ended up laughing last August as I walked out, too!!!

There is a distinct possibility that I too, may have visited that same store back in 2014.  :ph34r:   Even though the prices weren’t quite as bad back then, I still passed on everything. We moved on and had a good lunch at a nice restaurant/bar.

Biba ! Joe

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

That was my initial thought! Followed by a bit of envy and then finally ended up thinking Good for you! It HAS to be fantastically refreshing to not be caught up in the LE game. 

I haven't been around bourbon as long as a lot of you- 4-5 years or so- but have paid for many bottles that have been good or great.  I've found diminishing returns on the really expensive stuff, though.  Find really good at $40, great at $60, how much better can $140 really be?

Dont get me wrong, I do grab some LE when available.  But $90 Stagg, WLW, $100 PVW15 are known to me, worth it, and virtually half the price of a lot of the other LE.  I know I'd enjoy the 4R, but getting gouged is tiresome at some point.  And I'm not talking just by 4R LE, but by any number of brands with LE/Special Release products (insert WT, JB, HH, etc).

By no means a "holier than thou" diatribe, just my personal thoughts on buying bourbon...

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, 0895 said:

meanwhile, 4 hrs. to the east, that bottle doesn't exist anywhere in town and my FOMO is reaching dangerously high levels.

(Bangs head on wall).

Damn, should have thought of you.  If I get the chance again, I'll let you know.   

18 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Damn, should have thought of you.  If I get the chance again, I'll let you know.   

I wasn’t taking a jab at you, btw (looking back it kinda sounds like it). 

The 4R stuff is just what I look forward to the most each year. 

Unfortunately, with this year being an anniversary for them, and the bottle decorated as such, everyone all of a sudden thinks it’s worth 3x retail. 

Anyway, the search goes on...

:)

• I like it 1

More ECBP at $55. Seeing it a lot lately along with most BT products. Hopefully it’s a sign of the producers starting to catch up to demand. 

4 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

More ECBP at $55. Seeing it a lot lately along with most BT products. Hopefully it’s a sign of the producers starting to catch up to demand. 

Yeah, I passed on more ECBP around $60 yesterday.  I've probably passed on 10 bottles of ECBP in NJ over the past few months, all around $60-$70.  I stocked up on the end of the old bottle batches, and bought a couple of the new bottle batches, and simply don't need or want anymore.  More on the shelf for the next guy to hopefully experience what ECBP has to offer.

I’m starting to think a lot of these liquor stores are secretly owned by the same people, the prices are always right around the same. Today I passed an Old Fitz 9 year for $250, ETL for $100, ORVW 10 for $400 you know all the standard these days. Then the guy always gets mildly confrontational in all these stores when you’re repulsed by their prices, today the ETL. I said wow no thanks, to which he replied this is a great bourbon man. “Sure for $30 or maybe $40” I said and he comes back with the infallible logic “no this bottle is definitely worth $100”. I must be mistaken, sure I’ll take it!

• I like it 1

The night after spending over $300 on various bottles, I passed on this in favor of a MWND for under $90 with tax.

843B8EE1-910B-4C81-BB4C-79DFBCAAF9D2.jpeg

12 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

The night after spending over $300 on various bottles, I passed on this in favor of a MWND for under $90 with tax.

You chose....wisely.

• I like it 1

Passed on OFSB for $45.  Waiting til December for my next trip to the motherland to make a haul.

14 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

Is that one that was distilled in Illinois from the mystery distillery?

HWMWND, HWDR (finished), CEHT SmB have been plentiful this week.  Bought the HWMWND last year and didnt love it.  Goes well with a bold cigar, but wasted on me otherwise.  I'll likely get a finished DR at some point for cigar use, but wont pop for the MWND again.

Passed on the CEHT because I've got several SiB and SmB already.  I comes around 4-5 times a year, so no emergency...

Passed this guy up for $88 bucks. Really want to try this one, but with it being BTAC season, and getting closer to Christmas a business decision had to be made. Hope I don't regret it.

IMG951448.jpg

• I like it 2

Passed this guy up for $88 bucks. Really want to try this one, but with it being BTAC season, and getting closer to Christmas a business decision had to be made. Hope I don't regret it.
IMG951448.thumb.jpg.3f8c5a26fa17f2b5c860c05480a18b7d.jpg

I would have had trouble passing that one up for that price! An old saying is appropriate in these circumstances: A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
  • I like it 1

Passed on another KY Owl Bourbon Batch 8 of the two I’ve come across in the wild.  $300 today, which was $50 cheaper than the other I found.  I was going to buy it.  I like the guy & his store.  He’s great to deal with & a super nice guy.  I asked him to make me a deal on it.  I just needed a reason to justify the purchase lol.  We couldn’t get one done so it’s there for the next guy. ;)

Stupidly passed on a black cap handle of OGDBiB @ $44.99 because I bought one from the same store a month ago for $36.99. 

• I like it 1

Rock Hill Farm for $99.  I told the owner that I bought 2 last year for 45 otd (true) and he said he can't even buy it for that.  The distributors have really jacked up their prices on anything limited or popular, imho.

The distributors in our area certainly have jumped on the bandwagon of additional wholesale margins on LE and certain allocated items. The three tier system is basically a monopolistic system in most places except at the retail level, whether it’s a control state or not. Some brands apparently have enough clout to prevent the additional wholesale markups, but many do not according to the retailers that I talk to. Of course many retailers add their own premium markups too, as we all know, but as prices continue to rise, many times it’s a combination of premium markups at all levels...not just the retailer.

Just heard from a retailer that sales of Bernheim Wheat have gone through the roof lately and it is now allocated as well. Weird. (Sorry..probably not the right thread for that)

Bakers $43...

WT Rye 101 1L $41

will keep these in mind  for after the new year. $ allotted for imaginary LE opportunities.

Edited by FasterHorses

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.