What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on all of these.

IMG_5679.JPGIMG_5680.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5682.JPG

Didn’t pass on this, saw the barrel, but sadly all bottles are long gone. Apparently my nephews National Guard unit got a barrel of Jack. Wish I had some.

IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5686.JPG

I had an urgent errand that I needed to take care of after work today. It took me near a liquor store that I don’t stop at very often. The sad thing is, the reason I don’t stop at this store much is because of their prices. Still, I couldn’t help myself. I passed on a shelf full of Weller SR  priced at $59.99.  <_<

Biba! Joe

12 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on OWA 107 for $39.99 and GTS for $450.

GTS? BTAC made it to TN? I heard it was gonna be today but no luck in our region

GTS? BTAC made it to TN? I heard it was gonna be today but no luck in our region

Yep! I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to pick up a few again this year, but I’m not paying that kind of price for any of it.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on OWA 107 for $39.99 and GTS for $450.

We don't see OWA very often in Indy and even though I used to get it in the low $20s, I would be a buyer at $39.99.  Similarly, GTS is difficult to find.  However, it would need to be closer to $100 before I would be interested.

Didn't pass on a bourbon.  My birthday is on Thanksgiving.  My wife was out today and asked it $67 was a good price for WhistlePig.  It is actually not a bad price in the Indy area.  However, if I told it was, she would have picked up a bottle for my birthday.  I told her there are better options as I would much prefer Bookers or MM 46 Cask Strength at one of the local chains.

I passed on Blantons for $89.99.  While I used to buy these for $39.99, the overriding factor is I can buy 3 bottles of quality bourbon for the same price.

We don't see OWA very often in Indy and even though I used to get it in the low $20s, I would be a buyer at $39.99.  Similarly, GTS is difficult to find.  However, it would need to be closer to $100 before I would be interested.

So you are willing to pay more than a 50% premium for OWA, but not GTS, which has a suggested retail price of $100? I can usually find a good bit of OWA from around $25 to the low $30 price point, so I’ll pass on it when it’s above that price. GTS or any of the BTAC series is harder to find, so I’ll pay some premium for it if I have to, but around $200 is the max I’m likely willing to pay. I’ve passed on it at $325 and $450 in stores that always put them on the shelves for very high prices.
  • I like it 2

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

So you are willing to pay more than a 50% premium for OWA, but not GTS, which has a suggested retail price of $100? I can usually find a good bit of OWA from around $25 to the low $30 price point, so I’ll pass on it when it’s above that price. GTS or any of the BTAC series is harder to find, so I’ll pay some premium for it if I have to, but around $200 is the max I’m likely willing to pay. I’ve passed on it at $325 and $450 in stores that always put them on the shelves for very high prices.

I will pay up SOME for something I really want.  Maybe low $30s for an OWA. Mid to high $30s for a PS OWA.  As far as BTAC goes, I'd pay a 100% markup to around $200 for one if I ever saw it on the shelf.  The problem is, I have never, ever, EVER seen a BTAC on a shelf for less than $400.

I passed on a ton of stuff recently.  3 buddies and I made a run to Kentucky; 10 distilleries in 3 days.  Everything from full tours to tastings to just popping in the gift shops.  I walked away with only 5 bottles, which for me is being very selective.  I actually bought fewer than any of my compadres.  Still, my wife did not seem to marvel at my restraint.

• I like it 3

I will pay up SOME for something I really want.  Maybe low $30s for an OWA. Mid to high $30s for a PS OWA.  As far as BTAC goes, I'd pay a 100% markup to around $200 for one if I ever saw it on the shelf.  The problem is, I have never, ever, EVER seen a BTAC on a shelf for less than $400.

Yeah, the only stores around here that put BTAC on the shelf charge close to secondary prices. Most stores that don’t do a lottery divvy it out based on store loyalty and patronage and it is always kept in the back or under the counter. Many still price it at retail if you are lucky enough to be offered a bottle, but some will add a premium up to 100%, which is still far below secondary pricing. However, it sometimes takes years of patronizing a store and getting to know the owner or manager before you’ll receive an offer of a highly sought after bottle.

7 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

my wife did not seem to marvel at my restraint.

Mine never does either. I have learned picking up a cheap bottle of wine sometimes keeps the sly remarks at bay....temporarily.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, DCFan said:

Passed on bourbon packaged in a turpentine can. Just wasn't feeling it.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/bourbon/stillhouse-black-bourbon#/product?productSize=0

The website says it's bourbon mellowed on coffee beans. I'm intrigued. Not enough to buy a can at that price, but wouldn't turn down a sample.

Passed on Old Fitzgerald 9 and 11 years today.

May regret it but the reviews on the 11 I’ve seen were not good at all and the 9 seems to be getting higher praise...but they wanted $180 for the bottle and I couldn’t bring myself to pay it.

mistake?

Edited by Bambam

On 11/19/2018 at 11:11 PM, lcpfratn said:

I view it in terms of absolute cost.   The premium varies based on availability and local pricing, not MSRP.   GTS is my favorite bourbon but I am not going to pay $200 for a bottle.  Probably not going to pay much more than $100-$125.  On the other hand, I would love to find OWA or WL12 in Indiana like I used to but those days are gone.  When it is available, it is typically for much more than $40 or, in most cases in Indiana, only in lotteries.  $40 in absolute cost is much less than most of the commonly available quality bourbons available in Indiana.  

I have pretty much hit bourbon zen.  I enjoy Knob Creek, Four Roses, WT.  I don't mind paying up for something but there has to be reasonable value.  I like Blanton's.  Haven't seen a bottle on the shelf for months.  Ran across one the other day for $89.99.  The thought to buy never crossed my mind.  I can get two KCSB and still have lunch money for that price.  

Edit - I saw Clueby's post after responding.  I think perspective is also relative.  If I had not had several different BTAC's over the years, I would probably be more likely to pay up to have the opportunity to get a bottle.  

Edited by mbroo5880i

Passed on a Lot B priced at $1200

It’s at Timberlane Wine and Spirits in El Dorado Arkansas if anyone wants to go get it ?

Out with the wife and stopped at the local Kroger.  They continue to up their liquor game.  First time I have seen EC18 in the store.  While I passed because I found the older EC18 to be too woody, I suspect the price ($119.99) was relatively reasonable in today's market.  They also had AE Rye for $74.99.  It was a little more tempting as I could get it at a 15% discount ($64) with a multiple liquor bottle purchase.  I might bite if they still have it when they have their next 30% off sale.  That would make it $52.  They also have a store barrel of WR and several nice gift sets, including a KC with really nice rocks glasses and EC with a rocks glass and ice ball.  I will hold off on these until their next sale. 

• I like it 1

Passed on a 750 of Larceny this evening @ $19.99. Yeah, I know. :mellow: 

Biba! Joe

I also begrudgingly passed up this opportunity while in Illinois. It was 10 bucks more than I was hoping to find it for, and I have my fingers crossed this week for an opportunity at a BTAC bottle so decided to save the funds. Hope I don’t regret it.

F00020AF-3301-4F58-AC16-8268037627F6.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

I also begrudgingly passed up this opportunity while in Illinois. It was 10 bucks more than I was hoping to find it for, and I have my fingers crossed this week for an opportunity at a BTAC bottle so decided to save the funds. Hope I don’t regret it.

F00020AF-3301-4F58-AC16-8268037627F6.jpeg

Frugals was stocked with em a couple days ago

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.