What Dram are you enjoying? Summer 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This was a happy surprise to see on the shelf while I was "primarily grocery shopping" 

y4mpytxpgw28vHfICmD5HMYHk55P9pGfF7WZWPx_

Came prepared to my Craigellachie tasting event at Tales with funnel, bottles and Sharpie and was able to decant sample bottles of the 31, 33, Exceptional Cask Series and SMWS expressions from the no-shows flanking my seat-- all NLA liquid. I'm sure that I looked like an asshole, but I'm OK with that. 

IMG_0011.thumb.JPG.2e890e0c4d09d86056dfacfa89c99229.JPGIMG_0012.thumb.JPG.3d9d7d1bb91755f9a638f33deb792c40.JPG

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

This was a happy surprise to see on the shelf while I was "primarily grocery shopping" 

That is indeed an interesting find. Always a solid travel retail find but typically bottled in a 500ml bottle so not possible to sell here. A 750ml is nice to see! If I can find one it will be interesting to compare to one of my older 500ml bottles although since it is a blend I would be surprised if it were much different.

Sipping on a Strathclyde 28yr while pondering what to pour next.  This has a lovely mouthfeel that I love about (some) older scotch - a buttery/creaminess - but is a bit on the subtle side as single grain tends to be.  And because of that it often leaves me wanting - making it the perfect first pour on a Friday night!

• I like it 1

AnCnoc 16, a terrific bourbon cask whisky (sadly now discontinued) and perfect for summer sipping. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That is indeed an interesting find. Always a solid travel retail find but typically bottled in a 500ml bottle so not possible to sell here. A 750ml is nice to see! If I can find one it will be interesting to compare to one of my older 500ml bottles although since it is a blend I would be surprised if it were much different.

Interesting to hear your thoughts if you get the shot, I was almost tempted to pick up a 500ml from one of the less scrupulous stores in NYC today as I have not had it before yesterday but it seemed stupid to spend more on less whisky (the 750 was $52.99 the 500 was $85)

I decided to go Irish tonight.  Started with PJL and wrapped up with RB15.  Both equally satisfying!  ;)

• I like it 1

Gorgeous pour of Amrut Fusion.

• I like it 3

Been looking for a punchy Old Fettercairn for quite a while...

IMG_0027.thumb.jpg.ee3bf4ce4e72e44c8db58f15faf5e5ec.jpg

• I like it 1

Drinking a small pour of Deanston 12. Deanston 12 is an underrated dram. 

Very delicate and easy to drink. Next up is a side-by-side with this against the official 14 year, 46% ABV bottling…

IMG_0028.thumb.jpg.fbf6ab36542514e3791745b27bf96100.jpg

I cracked this Tullibardine "The Murray" tonight, nothing wrong with it but kind of a one note vanilla/caramel bomb, water makes it a bit more buttery. It's pleasant but not terribly interesting. Decided to have one last pour so cracked something else and grabbed something I was positive would not disappoint. 

y4meFunU_u0HkKrqnrFIkvY4Y6IYI_fgoSnnx5K-

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I cracked this Tullibardine "The Murray" tonight, nothing wrong with it but kind of a one note vanilla/caramel bomb, water makes it a bit more buttery. It's pleasant but not terribly interesting. Decided to have one last pour so cracked something else and grabbed something I was positive would not disappoint. 

y4meFunU_u0HkKrqnrFIkvY4Y6IYI_fgoSnnx5K-

That's the plain Cairdeas with no fancy barrel finish, right? How does it compare to the good old 10yr CS?

Edited by Kane

5 hours ago, Kane said:

That's the plain Cairdeas with no fancy barrel finish, right? How does it compare to the good old 10yr CS?

Yep, it's the all in house Malt bottle, it is really fantastic, I like it more than the 10 year CS I have open (batch 006), I had a small taste last night to be sure.  

On 7/24/2018 at 9:33 AM, kevinbrink said:

Yep, it's the all in house Malt bottle, it is really fantastic, I like it more than the 10 year CS I have open (batch 006), I had a small taste last night to be sure.  

I just had this and Lore, and the bartender comped me 1oz pours of Cairdeas 2016 Madeira and CS 004 for an impromptu 4way SBS.

My staple CS 004 came out on top, Cairdeas 200th was enjoyable too but tasted different for sure. Madeira was good weird, I have a sealed bottle at home and need to experiment more. Lore was weak, it didn't do much next to the rest.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I just had this and Lore, and the bartender comped me 1oz pours of Cairdeas 2016 Madeira and CS 004 for an impromptu 4way SBS.

My staple CS 004 came out on top, Cairdeas 200th was enjoyable too but tasted different for sure. Madeira was good weird, I have a sealed bottle at home and need to experiment more. Lore was weak, it didn't do much next to the rest.

I agree with you on Lore, I find the Cairdeas releases to typically be more compelling. I think the thing I really like about the 200th is that it really shows what their in house barley adds into the mix with the Port Ellen malt they (and lots of other distilleries) use.

I agree with you on Lore, I find the Cairdeas releases to typically be more compelling. I think the thing I really like about the 200th is that it really shows what their in house barley adds into the mix with the Port Ellen malt they (and lots of other distilleries) use.

I've got all of these except Lore, and I keep passing on Lore because I can't seem to be able to find a bottle anywhere in my area for less than $130. After seeing both of your comments about it, I'm glad I've passed on it thus far. If I ever find a bottle for less than $100, I'll probably still pick one up, but I'll continue to pass until I do.

16 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I've got all of these except Lore, and I keep passing on Lore because I can't seem to be able to find a bottle anywhere in my area for less than $130. After seeing both of your comments about it, I'm glad I've passed on it thus far. If I ever find a bottle for less than $100, I'll probably still pick one up, but I'll continue to pass until I do.

Yeah the price is a factor for me, I picked up my current bottle at a store (unbelievably) in NYC for $80. 

So apparently its National Scotch Day. Time for some Ardbeg. I'm all out of Oogie. I have a sample of Corry I will start with and then some Ten. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.