What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I'll definitely let you know when I get around to it.  It may be a bit as the bar is full and there's a bit of a backlog to get promoted.  I did conduct a bit of a board search for your comments about the Cigar Blend and while not finding any notes about Batch 11 you seemed to indicate in a previous batch that the goal was to increase the batch size from around 500 to around 1,000.  I noticed that Batch 11 was marked as having 377 bottles.  Was there any specific reason for a smaller batch this time around?

Functional noise makers are always appreciated and I feel much better about sharing this with the kids than Nerds.

@JoeTerp, yes, the original idea was to perhaps combine two Armagnac casks for a larger batch size, but I think the general consensus at Magnus was to keep each batch to a single Armagnac barrel, so the batch sizes won't increase. Most of the Armagnac barrels are about 400 L, which is the usual size for that type of cask, so you can usually get somewhere between 420 to 435 bottles out of one. However, batch #11 was put in a smaller size Armagnac cask, so the yield was smaller. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, DCFan said:

You can’t go to Costco without picking up a case of Rice-A-Roni. ;)

Ain't that the truth, @DCFan! Just an interesting side note, but one of my friends who is in her late 60's was best friends in high school with the daughter of the inventor of Rice-a-Roni! Weirder still, the guy that came up with the jingle for it, "The San Francisco treat," used to be one of my neighbors. That's my Rice-a-Roni connection! ?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Ain't that the truth, @DCFan! Just an interesting side note, but one of my friends who is in her late 60's was best friends in high school with the daughter of the inventor of Rice-a-Roni! Weirder still, the guy that came up with the jingle for it, "The San Francisco treat," used to be one of my neighbors. That's my Rice-a-Roni connection! ?

Hah!   Small world (Rice-a-Roni wise, at any rate), eh?    I haven't had that wonderful side dish in many years... and, I miss it terribly on occasion.

• I like it 1

Ain't that the truth,[mention=12566]DCFan[/mention]! Just an interesting side note, but one of my friends who is in her late 60's was best friends in high school with the daughter of the inventor of Rice-a-Roni! Weirder still, the guy that came up with the jingle for it, "The San Francisco treat," used to be one of my neighbors. That's my Rice-a-Roni connection! ?

Rice a Roni derail, I think I saw the daughter on 60 minutes or something talking about how her father came up with the idea. He was a manufacturer of pasta products. Her mother had there neighbor who was Armenian over and she made rice pilaf for them for dinner. Father was looking for new products and figured that it would be a good product to put in pasta boxes.

• I like it 1

Had a pour of OF 1910 this weekend and liked it very much.  Ended up having my son pick up a bottle when he was at TW.

I was in Austin yesterday for work.  I picked up a WSR and HMK10 which are difficult to find in the Indy area.

Grabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare...have had it a couple times at a jazz club in town but have never actually bought a bottle...

• I like it 1

Found this EHT BP today! Might be my favorite find of the fall. Can’t wait to try it!

6F60310C-D429-4848-A448-1EDCA74AD6CC.jpeg

Edited by Bambam
  • I like it 6

35 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Definitely interested in this one.

Doesnt taste like a true rye, but I’m not dissapointed.  I think I’m gonna go back & buy the other just in case it’s actually limited as they say lol. 

1 hour ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Doesnt taste like a true rye, but I’m not dissapointed.  I think I’m gonna go back & buy the other just in case it’s actually limited as they say lol. 

It's a "bourbony" rye. It's still sitting on the shelves fairly deep around here.

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's a "bourbony" rye. It's still sitting on the shelves fairly deep around here.

I agree...  It’s all over around me too.  But, we know how that goes sometimes.  It’s there...it’s there...you hold off because you see it often...then vamos, gone & you wonder why you didn’t grab another lol.  I’d like to grab a backup just in case.  

I picked up VOB BIB and EW BIB at my favorite store.

A friendly employee offered me a sample of Redemption Bourbon.  I said I had to decline, as I was on my way to pick up my son from preschool.  Maybe next time.

Spoiler

Couple of unicorns

IMG_0522.jpg

Edited by JoeTerp
needed fixing
  • I like it 10

Passed on Van Winkle 10 in a lottery I won and picked the Old Fitzgerald 9 year BIB instead.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  I have enough VW 10 and have never had these special bottle Old Fitz.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

One can never have too much............. ^_^

Biba! Joe

xwel.jpeg

The "Weller Whore" strikes again.  Merry Christmas from the junior member of the club, the "Weller Slut"

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Passed on Van Winkle 10 in a lottery I won and picked the Old Fitzgerald 9 year BIB instead.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  I have enough VW 10 and have never had these special bottle Old Fitz.

What are you saying? You did not take a free bottle of VW10, and instead paid for a bottle of OF 9 yr. BIB instead?

2 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

What are you saying? You did not take a free bottle of VW10, and instead paid for a bottle of OF 9 yr. BIB instead?

No.  It was a store lottery for a chance to buy some allocated bourbons from the last few months.  I have half a dozen VW 10's in the bunker but had never seen the Old Fitz special bottling.

8 minutes ago, Tennessee Dave said:

No.  It was a store lottery for a chance to buy some allocated bourbons from the last few months.  I have half a dozen VW 10's in the bunker but had never seen the Old Fitz special bottling.

ok cool.

IMG_1972.jpg
Found these two looking for a nice home today. Nice way to officially end the fall hunting season and an early Christmas gift for me to share with friends.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.