What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

It helps a ton when the first guy in the lottery picks Weller 12, fifth guy picked EC18... so I got very lucky at 7th that this was still there. 

That’s awesome. As painful as it is to sit through raffles and listen to the banter between people that really don’t know bourbon, their loss can be your gain. I had a similar experience a few nights ago. Once the BTAC and Pappy were gone, things got comical. I was eyeing a CYPB and when they called my number it was still available because so many were picking fairly ubiquitous bottles like Willett, Blood Oath, CEHT SmB, and others.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Had to get my "just got in the car with with my score" shot. :lol:

Wow, you have enormous hands!

• I like it 6

Not as coveted as some of these recent posts.  Just some humble grocery store bourbon.
20181215_185124.thumb.jpg.ac1dffaea0a8d629ab7129a8982f1dc4.jpg

Um I’ll take some 10 year OESK even without a sticker caricature of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Not bourbon, but I got this Basil Hayden bust on eBay.  I thought it was a pretty cool piece. 

A1092C27-B929-4D4D-A36E-03CBC161805D.jpeg

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy
  • I like it 5

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, flahute said:

Just snagged one today so I'll compare notes sometime this weekend.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  It's a winner, and probably my biggest sleeper pick of the fall season.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Not bourbon, but I got this Basil Hayden bust on eBay.  I thought it was a pretty cool piece. 

And not creepy at all. Lol

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, Kepler said:

And not creepy at all. Lol

Not gonna lie...  I kinda thought the same thing at first. :D

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Good to see Chuck Cowdery’s classic, “Bourbon, Straight” first in line.  IMO, it still stands as the premier book on bourbon for anyone getting into this hobby, or anyone wanting to brush up on what they think they know.  (That’s why my copy is so curled, torn, and worn.). It’s not flashy, nor pimped like so many new whiskey books today.  It’s more of a workman’s manual with solid, concise, and clearly written instructions and insights into Bourbonia.  And, don’t even get me started on how cool that bust of Basil Hayden is, and how the latest depictions of him on most OGD bottles do indeed give me the creeps.  That is how he is supposed to look.  :D  

• I like it 5

Was in DC to pick up the Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 11 and stopped by Costco and got a Maker's 46 and a Baby Saz.

Also acquired some roses this week.

IMG_0514.jpg

• I like it 3

picked up the OF 9, & yet another KCSB 14 yr. this barrel had 666 in the number, so i figured its gotta be good!

Was in DC to pick up the Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 11 and stopped by Costco and got a Maker's 46 and a Baby Saz.

IMG_0514.thumb.jpg.a38a712fbe5c0f372250ec7295929be2.jpg

Mmm Rice a Roni, my mom would make that about once a week.

I saw a bottle of this last Feb and passed in its $59.99 price. I did get to try it at a bar and found it to be very good. My patience has finally paid off and found a store with a case on the shelf for MSRP. I’ve blown my bourbon budget out the door the past few weeks so I limited myself to two. One for drinking and one for the collection. 

6F5890D8-D8C2-4F5B-9243-0E7186DC80E9.jpeg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I saw a bottle of this last Feb and passed in its $59.99 price. I did get to try it at a bar and found it to be very good. My patience has finally paid off and found a store with a case on the shelf for MSRP. I’ve blown my bourbon budget out the door the past few weeks so I limited myself to two. One for drinking and one for the collection. 

6F5890D8-D8C2-4F5B-9243-0E7186DC80E9.jpeg

Exquisite lighting!  :D

Really good whiskey for the price, too.

The MSRP price, I should add.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

Thanks to a tip from my nephew, I finally managed to pick up an Old Ezra Barrel Proof. :)

Now I can finally do a SBS with the Old Ezra 7 101 I bought a few weeks ago. :P 

Biba! Joe

ez1.jpeg

ez2.jpeg

• I like it 3

44 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks to a tip from my nephew, I finally managed to pick up an Old Ezra Barrel Proof. :)

Now I can finally do a SBS with the Old Ezra 7 101 I bought a few weeks ago. :P 

Biba! Joe

ez1.jpeg

ez2.jpeg

I don’t find any similarities beyond the names :D

I tasted this today at my local B&M....outstanding so I had to pick up the bottle.  Low proof considering their normal barrel program.IMG_6879.jpg.6207aa0c1a3596a7e73bd81435b436f2.jpg

• I like it 1

On 12/16/2018 at 8:55 AM, JoeTerp said:

IMG_0514.jpg

@JoeTerp, please let me know what you think of Cigar Blend batch #11. During the month of November while finishing out its time in the Armagnac cask, it really seemed to pick up more tannin than I would ordinarily want for it, but I'm hoping it isn't that noticeable. 

P.S., I love the Rice-A-Roni in the picture!

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender

2 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

You can’t go to Costco without picking up a case of Rice-A-Roni. ;)

• I like it 1

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Swamp55 said:

HAHAHAHA!!!

I was trying to come up with some good snark, but yours blew away everything I had...

On 12/15/2018 at 6:14 PM, Clueby said:

Had to get my "just got in the car with with my score" shot. :lol:

20181215_161618-784x1613.jpg

On 12/15/2018 at 7:59 PM, Swamp55 said:

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

HAHAHAHA!!!

I was trying to come up with some good snark, but yours blew away everything I had...

I have to admit, I'm right there with ya', bayouredd!    I was trying to come up with something for about a minute.    Then I saw Swamp55's Utterly PRICELESS comment and bowed my head in abject defeat! 

No topping that, Swamp55!    My hat is off to ya' my friend!  ?  ;)

Today, those that attended the recent Whisky Jewbilee Chicago and signed up could order the Festival Bottling 2018 - a 25 year old American Light Whiskey from Seagram Lawrenceburg/MGP distilled in 1993. This is what I bought today and very much looking forward to its arrival!

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@JoeTerp, please let me know what you think of Cigar Blend batch #11. During the month of November while finishing out its time in the Armagnac cask, it really seemed to pick up more tannin than I would ordinarily want for it, but I'm hoping it isn't that noticeable. 

Cheers,

Nancy

I'll definitely let you know when I get around to it.  It may be a bit as the bar is full and there's a bit of a backlog to get promoted.  I did conduct a bit of a board search for your comments about the Cigar Blend and while not finding any notes about Batch 11 you seemed to indicate in a previous batch that the goal was to increase the batch size from around 500 to around 1,000.  I noticed that Batch 11 was marked as having 377 bottles.  Was there any specific reason for a smaller batch this time around?

Functional noise makers are always appreciated and I feel much better about sharing this with the kids than Nerds.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.