What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

One of my regular stores that I have been seriously building a stronger relationship with over the last three years came through big for me a couple of days ago...and at the regular retail price. When things like this happen, it does make it easier to pass on other premium priced opportunities.
IMG_0039.jpg

Nice score.

I'm probably one of the few people that legitimately likes the oak heavy? (that's how I hear it described) PVW 23.  I personally don't find it overly oaked, but we all taste differently.  Perhaps I just enjoy heavily wooded bourbon.  Seems like every year, the 12 and 23y end up being my two favs. from the spectrum.

• I like it 4

When the lottery has failed you, I just go for the next best thing. Store selects!!!

One of my favorites from this past year was Richie's KC120 at $42. One of the employees found the last bottle & tucked it away for me. I owe him as this is really good.

Richie's also got their barrel of BT yesterday. They have sold half of it in a day's time. Limit 2 so I picked up my pair for $22 ea. I didn't get to taste it at the store but I figured 2nite will tell.

I did taste the MM Select & it was definitely worth a pickup, even at $64.

20181213_154315.jpg.f239ba8e192de8c28c54e40584f71182.jpg

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Nice score.

I'm probably one of the few people that legitimately likes the oak heavy? (that's how I hear it described) PVW 23.  I personally don't find it overly oaked, but we all taste differently.  Perhaps I just enjoy heavily wooded bourbon.  Seems like every year, the 12 and 23y end up being my two favs. from the spectrum.

I agree.  I did not think PVW23 was OVER oaked.  It was heavy, yes but balanced with the buttery texture and the old leather I associate with PVW in general I thought it was great.  The nose is amazing.  I also enjoy heavily oaked bourgons.  I prefer EC12 to NAC EC, Barterhouse, EC18, etc.  I even like Devil's Cut!

• I like it 1

Got a surprise phone call today from BevMo customer service. I didn't answer the first time because I didn't recognize the number.

A little while later I get an email from them saying that they have BTAC and Van Winkle available and to call back if I'm interested.

I try but the lines are jammed. Everyone who missed the first phone call is trying to call back like me.

So I reply to the email saying yes, I'm interested. Try to call back a few times and can't get through.

I figure I missed my chance so I give up.

A few minutes later my phone rings and it's BevMo again. The customer service rep who called the first time and then sent the email has called me back because they saw my reply to the email.

This customer service rep is also a bourbon fan so she was having the best time calling customers to tell them what they could buy.

She said their allocation was so small this year that they decided to just call customers who had purchased in the past and offer them a bottle.

At the time of the call they had ORVW10, Lot B, Stagg, and THH.

I chose Stagg of course. If only I'd answered the first call! Might have scored something bigger.

Nonetheless - I'm super happy with a Stagg, the king of whiskies.

That's a heck of a Christmas surprise.

• I like it 9

On 12/3/2018 at 11:03 PM, flahute said:

I still believe you got a bad barrel. I have many RY10's that are absolutely wonderful. There have also been a couple that weren't very good which became mixers for me. I've also liked both of the Old Fitz's I've tried. 

I’ve said multiple times here that Larceny and RY10 didn’t work for me. I’ve also said that my experience with those labels allowed me to ignore the chase of the Old Fitz limiteds. Well, last night a kind bartender allowed me a taste of the 9 year, gratis. I liked it quite a bit. It was after 3 beers, but the nose and flavor were really nice. My strongest impression was that after the finish dissipated and I thought it was done, I got a really late, strong blast of vanilla. Surprised me when it came out of nowhere. Not sure I’ll chase this, but if I stumble upon it at retail I’m likely a buyer. Good reminder that we always need to keep an open mind. 

14E5AA04-0FFD-46F8-BD29-379DF054D740.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

I’ve said multiple times here that Larceny and RY10 didn’t work for me. I’ve also said that my experience with those labels allowed me to ignore the chase of the Old Fitz limiteds. Well, last night a kind bartender allowed me a taste of the 9 year, gratis. I liked it quite a bit. It was after 3 beers, but the nose and flavor were really nice. My strongest impression was that after the finish dissipated and I thought it was done, I got a really late, strong blast of vanilla. Surprised me when it came out of nowhere. Not sure I’ll chase this, but if I stumble upon it at retail I’m likely a buyer. Good reminder that we always need to keep an open mind. 

Nice! Very happy to hear you finally had a good experience with a HH wheater.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, flahute said:

. . .

I chose Stagg of course. If only I'd answered the first call! Might have scored something bigger.

Nonetheless - I'm super happy with a Stagg, the king of whiskies.

That's a heck of a Christmas surprise.

I couldn't wait to New Year's to open my 2018 GTS like I'd planned to do.  I think you will LOVE it.  If you don't, I'll fly out there and  . . .;)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I couldn't wait to New Year's to open my 2018 GTS like I'd planned to do.  I think you will LOVE it.  If you don't, I'll fly out there and  . . .;)

Hmmmm........I might just say I don't love it so I can get you to fly out here. We'd have some epic tastings.

• I like it 3

Snagged these two today. Some friends and I are getting together for cigars next Wednesday, and I sure love the high rye of 4RSib with a stogie. The Foursquare just came in to my local store. I had it at a restaurant a few months ago and was impressed. 

20181214_123707.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 4

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, 0895 said:

Nice score.

I've always believed those that say "I don't like the PW23 because it's over-oked" either have very poor bourbon taste or simply haven't had it at all. It's certainly very good bourbon in my opinion. For my little buds the 20 is crescendo, and the 23 seems mildly flat by comparison. A wine description (which I don't drink)  might be that it's past its peak flavor or prime. Once again the PW23 is very good and makes the most enviable bar ornament.  lcpfratn had told me earlier about his big score and I was quite impressed.

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

I've always believed those that say "I don't like the PW23 because it's over-oked" either have very poor bourbon taste or simply haven't had it at all. It's certainly very good bourbon in my opinion. For my little buds the 20 is crescendo, and the 23 seems mildly flat by comparison. A wine description (which I don't drink)  might be that it's past its peak flavor or prime. Once again the PW23 is very good and makes the most enviable bar ornament.  lcpfratn had told me earlier about his big score and I was quite impressed.

Agree that pvw23 is great bourbon. I also think people go out of their way to avoid sounding like a tater, and then go buy michters or Jefferson instead (tater irony intended). Or there's a little of that small-time-band-made-it-big fandom, you know how someone will love a local band playing tiny venues to nobody, and then they hit it big and people resent the other fans at first and even the band itself eventually for some odd reason? Yea, PVW23.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Good reminder that we always need to keep an open mind. 

Having an open mind has cost me a lot of $$ :P (but it's given me a ton of happiness!)

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Just snagged one today so I'll compare notes sometime this weekend.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Looks like you’re having a pretty good hunting season too!

Yes, pretty good! This must be how GeeTen feels all the time. 

enhance

• I like it 10

enhance

Yeah, GeeTen has been racking them up! Congratulations on the ER17!

• I like it 1

enhance

Wow is the first posting of this here? I haven’t heard of any these hitting Houston.
  • I like it 1

27 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

Well done. You’re hitting it out of the park!

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Well done. You’re hitting it out of the park!

It helps a ton when the first guy in the lottery picks Weller 12, fifth guy picked EC18... so I got very lucky at 7th that this was still there. 

• I like it 7

Local store had a store pick of Weller 107, with a discount if you purchased $50 of other products.  Win x 2!

20181215_112659.jpg

• I like it 5

It helps a ton when the first guy in the lottery picks Weller 12, fifth guy picked EC18... so I got very lucky at 7th that this was still there. 

Just wow.
  • I like it 1

59 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I’ve seen that kinda stuff happen around here too. 

Skipping VW & BTAC to get pot still and W12

To each their own.  At least everyone comes out happy. 

That ER17 is something special.  Hope you enjoy it.  You can’t see me behind the computer screen, but I’m envious as hell. 

:)

If any of this would have made it to MO, it would have been my first choice. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.