What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, El Vino said:

Overpaid ($49) for an Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength.  Impatience and curiosity got the better of me.  Whiskeyrexia nervosa...

I mean...you didn’t get raped.  That’s withhin reason IMO.  

Binny’s had a coupon. $15 off a purchase of $75 or more. Grabbed a WTRRSB and a John J. Bowman.

• I like it 2

I remember that day!  They took that pic  right before they took me out back and beat the shit out of me for wearing a Jack Daniel’s shirt...  

It wasn’t just the shirt Joe
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I mean...you didn’t get raped.  That’s withhin reason IMO.  

I DID pull the trigger, so I agree it’s not rape.  But I feel like the retailers are preying on the early hype.  This time next year, it’s a $39 bottle.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

It wasn’t just the shirt Joe

Yeah, the JD hat mighta been a bit too much... ;)

7 minutes ago, reeko said:

Not all bourbon, but I'm looking forward to sipping them soon. I'm pretty happy with today's haul overall. IMG_20181201_133223.jpeg

35 years..wow

35 years..wow
Ya that one I especially can't wait to try. I'm saving it for a special occasion, maybe for Christmas. Hopefully I can hold out until then lol.

Not all bourbon, but I'm looking forward to sipping them soon. I'm pretty happy with today's haul overall. IMG_20181201_133223.thumb.jpeg.d960b35d761b4b4e78cd7fc3a835d5cb.jpeg

Interested in the 35 year Wiser. I’m not a big Canadian fan but I feel like it would age well up in the great white north.

Redbreast cask strength is great whiskey.

• I like it 1

From what I understand JP Wisers is aged in used cooperage, which is one of the reasons it can age for so long. I had the 18 year and it reminded me of some older rums (which are often aged in used bourbon casks). Heavy on vanilla, almost like drinking vanilla extract mixed with maple syrup. I hope the 35 year has had enough time to get some dry oak in there to balance out the sugary sweetness.

From a review

"This is largely double distilled corn whisky - distilled to a high abv, with a relatively light flavor - which would be an example of a "base" whisky used for blending - except that this is aged for a long time in a reused cask."

"If you've had Wiser's 18, it has many of those characteristics, except - it is much older, richer, and contains about 10% column and pot distilled rye (matured in virgin oak casks) to give it incredible character."

Hmm the rye aged in fresh charred oak is interesting, as is it being bottled at 100 proof vs 80 or the 18. Hopefully this helps to elevate it above the 18.

@reeko I'll be very curious to hear what you think about it when you crack it open.

Edited by EarthQuake

Weller 107; smooth ambler big level wheated

I was SO excited about that big level..until I tasted it. I hope your experience is better than mine.

5 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

I was SO excited about that big level..until I tasted it. I hope your experience is better than mine.

I didn't love it but I think I liked it better than most on here. Had a distinct shortbread cookie taste.

10 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I didn't love it but I think I liked it better than most on here. Had a distinct shortbread cookie taste.

Excited to try it, I guess if I don’t enjoy it, it will go to the monthly tasting group 

Good weekend hunting. I’ve never had a Smooth Ambler product, but decided to take a shot on the 107. I wish that I would have bought more, because it is completely blowing me away. 

A4969916-0A66-484A-AA4C-E333A44997CC.jpeg

• I like it 1

I picked up a 750 of Larceny today. At $19.99, I just couldn’t pass it up again. Y’all know the deal. :huh: Besides, that’s the best price I’ve seen since it first came out. 

I really liked Larceny when it was first introduced, and jumped pretty hard on the band wagon. I made the most of the rebates, and bought a number of bottles. Fast forward a few years: The last couple of times I’ve had Larceny, for some reason it just hasn’t tasted at all like I remembered. It really didn’t trip my trigger at all. Still, I put that aside, and decided to buy a bottle and give it another try. I reckon we’ll see what happens. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I haven't tasted it and I don't plan on purchasing a bottle, but shortbread cookies sound pretty tasty to me.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I picked up a 750 of Larceny today. At $19.99, I just couldn’t pass it up again. Y’all know the deal. :huh: Besides, that’s the best price I’ve seen since it first came out. 

I really liked Larceny when it was first introduced, and jumped pretty hard on the band wagon. I made the most of the rebates, and bought a number of bottles. Fast forward a few years: The last couple of times I’ve had Larceny, for some reason it just hasn’t tasted at all like I remembered. It really didn’t trip my trigger at all. Still, I put that aside, and decided to buy a bottle and give it another try. I reckon we’ll see what happens. 

Biba! Joe

I havent had any in a couple years. I don't remember when it was first introduced.  I tried some at a friend's bar and thought it was ok but there were lots of other drinks going on. I bought my own bottle and just couldn't get into it. It was so heavy with acetone taste. A few months after that one I decided to try it again thinking maybe it was my palate or the bottle I had but alas, still acetone. I haven't braved the Larceny waters since. For what it's worth, I really like Old Fitz which I find tastes nothing like Larceny but purportedly are the same thing. I don't get any of the spearmint from Old Fitz in Larceny.

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

I haven't tasted it and I don't plan on purchasing a bottle, but shortbread cookies sound pretty tasty to me.

Don't do it.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Cornfed12 said:

smooth ambler big level wheated

I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope your future purchases go better.

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I wish I could give you hope. I've had one good bottle of Larceny. The other three have been nasty.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

I wish I could give you hope. I've had one good bottle of Larceny. The other three have been nasty.

This is pretty much my experience too, except I wouldn't say nasty, more like I can take it or leave it (mostly leave it).  I sure don't think it's worth the $25 price it usually goes for.

When it first showed up in my area, I was excited.  I tried it, and was underwhelmed.  I wanted to like it.  So, I've bought it on sale several occasions.    Over several years, the first two bottles - just mediocre, then one unusually good bottle, next bottle back to mediocre.

• I like it 1

Grabbed a Wegman’s EC Barrel select for 28 bucks. Excellent bourbon. God Bless is, everyone. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I had the same experience. Loved the first bottle I bought 3 years ago. Since then I have had no luck. I get that overpowering acetone taste too now. Haven’t bought a bottle in a while.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.